Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering pump overflow

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 11:08 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump overflow

Guys,

Saw this thread a short while back where the pump fluid would foam up and overflow. Six or eight posts and everybody was amazed. NMe too for the past week until I had my A PIFF ANY. The planned fix was to rebuild the pump with a $54 kit. I think I figured out the problem. Background: The foaming indicates that air is getting into the system prior to the oil going through the pump. The entire system is under positive pressure except for the resevoir and one small "point". This is to say that if there is a hole in the system the thing will leak fluid out....not injest air. Except for that "point", which is the input OR-FUSS on the pump which is burried inside the pump housing. And right at that point there is some serious suck. That point is driven by and is part of the drive shaft/pulley. The drive shaft seal is worn out and letting air be sucked into the innards of the pump. I'll bet that seal has a generac equal item that cost less than $10.

Happy Holidays

John
Old 12-15-06, 12:04 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

In my case, it was hard to pinpoint where the air was coming in. I replaced the pump with some reservations and fortunately it cured the problem.

I did not purchase the service kit, but keep in mind, the vanes are not part of the kit. During overhaul, one should mesure and replace the vanes if needed.

Wish you luck and I hope the overhaul cures your problem too. Remeber to purchase the banjo compression washer. Let me know if you figure out how to torqe the banjo bolt. Let alone torque wrench, I could not even get the socket on it.

Salim