Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 Lexus SC400 Supercharger project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 03:22 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only 300Hp???????????????????? Surely a blown 4.0L gives more than that.

Eric

Last edited by c0wboy; 04-22-07 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-22-07, 04:17 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanCL
i'm just trying to clear up one issue, you had to fabricate some things. my biggest concern is the mounting plate. did you choose a slightly different blower than richwood recommends? if you purchase their install kit precisely for one of their recommended blowers, the actually mounting process should be trouble free?

p.s. did richwood themselves say no fuel system upgrades were needed? i hate to keep doubting, but i found some posts directly from mr. andrew at richwood himself, where he said they were able to achieve 300hp with a rising rate FPR, piggyback, colder plug, stock intake box w/ high performance filter.
The mounting plate works fine just how it comes. All in all the kit fits really well, as I said before, anything custom will take some fabrication. The supercharger I chose did contribute to the amout of modification I had to do. Andrew has been very helpful through the whole process. If you order the semi kit configured for the M90 you should have very little problems. Yes there are a few things you will need to add to the kit to install complete but that is true for turbos as well. I can pretty much help you out if you choose to do this.

As far as the car running on a stock fuel system it is doing very well. I am upgrading my fuel delivery system but as far as it working, yes it does. I am a little rich at WOT but other than that its good. Better rich than lean!

I drove the car 350 miles today! I went to a Toyota meet. I ran great no problems, as time progresses I push it a little more. It makes me smile.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-22-07, 05:42 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

thanks. don't get me wrong. i am very impressed. i hope you don't get the wrong idea. truth is i planned on this for a long time and as far as i know you are one of the very few that have done this in the US and probably the only one to document it. so i'm probing every angle. my basic plan as it sits now since my motor has 160K+ miles on it is a full rebuild but stroking to 4.7L and then setting the blower on. ;]
Old 04-22-07, 05:58 PM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks. don't get me wrong. i am very impressed. i hope you don't get the wrong idea. truth is i planned on this for a long time and as far as i know you are one of the very few that have done this in the US and probably the only one to document it. so i'm probing every angle. my basic plan as it sits now since my motor has 160K+ miles on it is a full rebuild but stroking to 4.7L and then setting the blower on. ;]
wouldnt it be cheaper or should i say more efficient to find a low mileage 3uz-fe and sc that one? itd be in a lot better condition and probably hold more boost than a stroked 4.0 to a 4.7?
Old 04-22-07, 06:08 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott--did the difference in blower selection require only the modification to the intake plate that goes on the back of the blower, or was the blower responsible for other custom fab issues?

The fact that you had to fabricate custom intake tract and throttle cable block has me concerned, since the blower difference shouldn't have affected those parts.
Old 04-22-07, 08:50 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by akxx
Scott--did the difference in blower selection require only the modification to the intake plate that goes on the back of the blower, or was the blower responsible for other custom fab issues?

The fact that you had to fabricate custom intake tract and throttle cable block has me concerned, since the blower difference shouldn't have affected those parts.

the sc I selected required me to modify the supplied intake passage, not the intake plate. It also forced me to machine my bypass valve. go with a standard M90. no problem. as far as the throttle bracket, the old bracket was on the intake, you're moving the throttle body, you going to have to do something.
Old 04-22-07, 09:21 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ant1k
wouldnt it be cheaper or should i say more efficient to find a low mileage 3uz-fe and sc that one? itd be in a lot better condition and probably hold more boost than a stroked 4.0 to a 4.7?
the earlier 1uz block is better from what i read, and the 4.7 will be forged, still deciding on compression. i was going to go all N/A w/ a high compression 4.7, but since seeing this thread, i may drop compression and run some boost.
Old 04-23-07, 06:18 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

the earlier 1uz block is better from what i read, and the 4.7 will be forged, still deciding on compression. i was going to go all N/A w/ a high compression 4.7, but since seeing this thread, i may drop compression and run some boost.
Right on, I have read the same thing.

Boost it! My car runs great, I put another 100 miles on it today coming home. Makes for a good car to drive as well as being quicker. If you do all that to a motor then supercharge it it will be Kick @$$. You probally want to do something different than a M90 depending on what boost levels you are trying to get to.

My future plans is to get another motor and biuld it up as well, This project has been part 1 of a three part journey.
Old 04-23-07, 07:21 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i cant wait to see some vids!!! congrats on the sc400sc
Old 04-23-07, 07:32 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jgdynamics
i cant wait to see some vids!!! congrats on the sc400sc
I should get some vids this week.
Old 04-24-07, 07:23 AM
beaterKU
Pole Position

Hey buddy, good to see you and your car this weekend. To everyone, this is one of the cleanest installs I have seen in a long time. It also sounds very mean and does a pretty healthy burnout
Old 04-24-07, 10:07 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I should get some vids this week.
less typing and more video taping!!!
Old 04-24-07, 10:59 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by beaterKU
Hey buddy, good to see you and your car this weekend. To everyone, this is one of the cleanest installs I have seen in a long time. It also sounds very mean and does a pretty healthy burnout
Thanks, I should have read Toyotalands rules prior to going, I read the rules afterwords, no burnouts or exsessive engine reving, guess I blew that.
Old 04-25-07, 05:55 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very impressed.

is this your DD? how long do you expect it to last honestly?
Old 04-25-07, 06:26 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I am very impressed.

is this your DD? how long do you expect it to last honestly?
No its not my DD I have a fine Tercel for that. How long will it last? I hope awhile, it should, its only boosted when my foots in it. I plan on biulding up another motor with forged pistons for a higher boost application.

Quick Reply: 97 Lexus SC400 Supercharger project