Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No power steering, fluid erupts? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-06, 11:32 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power steering, fluid erupts? HELP!

Ok, so my power steering doesn't work at all on my newely 1JZ'd SC3. I filled the container yesterday with ps fluid and the fluid level didn't seem to go down at all. I drove about 20 miles on it today and the fluid did drop. So I topped off the fluid, parked with the e-brake on, and turned the wheel two full rotations each way like the service manual says... power steering fluid started bubbling up like crazy from under the cap of the resivour, all over my engine bay.

Does anyone have any ideas? All I can think of that I am unsure was hooked up correctly 100% was the two power steering cooler lines (maybe they could be reversed, but dont think so?) and even if they were, I don't think the power steering cooler is directional

Someone please help let me go out and enjoy the new 1JZ swap lol
Old 08-13-06, 11:54 PM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JJG2005
Ok, so my power steering doesn't work at all on my newely 1JZ'd SC3. I filled the container yesterday with ps fluid and the fluid level didn't seem to go down at all. I drove about 20 miles on it today and the fluid did drop. So I topped off the fluid, parked with the e-brake on, and turned the wheel two full rotations each way like the service manual says... power steering fluid started bubbling up like crazy from under the cap of the resivour, all over my engine bay.

Does anyone have any ideas? All I can think of that I am unsure was hooked up correctly 100% was the two power steering cooler lines (maybe they could be reversed, but dont think so?) and even if they were, I don't think the power steering cooler is directional

Someone please help let me go out and enjoy the new 1JZ swap lol
i got this problem too.. iam 1jz and i cant figure out why my fluid wont pump either..

thanks
Old 08-19-06, 10:38 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Anyone have any ideas? This is making it really hard for me to drive the car... I've only put about 30 miles on it since the swap and want to take it out and brake it in. I did take it out last night though, and the car is amazing other than that. I boosted a bit in 5th gear and it picks up very quickly... I could havd downshifted but I'm still taking it VERY easy on the car.
Old 08-19-06, 12:27 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have the same problem after going na-t with a new engine. I would like to know what its all about.
Old 08-20-06, 10:32 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Noticed I had a small kink in the power steering line. Fixed that and the car seemed better, however still not what it should be at all. Going to try bleeding the system today, and see what happens.
Old 08-21-06, 08:22 PM
SC300TT!
Rookie

Default Powersteering Air Bubbles

Did you make sure to bleed the powersteering of air completely?
The level should not rise as much as you say. Overflowing with bubbles
means you have air in your system. I would jack up the front wheels on to stands and start the engine and turn all the way left and then all the way right like 50 times or until fliud level rises very little with each turn. Don't go too fast at first or you'll have a mess. Put a towel around the reservior and
one loosely on top of the reservior with out the cap. Anyways, sounds like air. Also, make sure you are using the right fluid. Dextron II+
Old 08-24-06, 05:46 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just checked and there seems to be a big connector going to the steering rack and I was just curious if anyone has a connector there. I don't recall having removing one when i pulled the head off. Just wondering if there is actually one there? My fluid does not erupt it just sits there and rises just a centimeter or so. I will try and jack the car up tomorrow to see if there is any difference. Someone with a 1993 SC300 5spd check to see if there is a connector going to your rack. Also I have capped off the the vacuum lines going to the power steering pump. I then removed them and had them pull air in but I have not noticed anything going on with the caps on or the caps off. Should i place back the vacuum lines.

Amir
Old 09-11-06, 06:44 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

I've got the same problem on my Aristo swap. Is there a diagnosis for this? Please? I've been through two pumps trying to figure it out.
Old 09-11-06, 06:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a similar problem it was just a kink in one of the hoses new generic hose from Advance solved problem.
Old 09-16-06, 01:45 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Did a powersteering flush and still had issues. Had a failed alternator, swapped it out and now the ps works? Not sure if it's a coincidence or not. Just adding my .02 on a fixed erupting PS pump.
Old 01-01-08, 08:27 AM
96dtm850
Driver

Originally Posted by lsflame
i just checked and there seems to be a big connector going to the steering rack and I was just curious if anyone has a connector there. I don't recall having removing one when i pulled the head off. Just wondering if there is actually one there? My fluid does not erupt it just sits there and rises just a centimeter or so. I will try and jack the car up tomorrow to see if there is any difference. Someone with a 1993 SC300 5spd check to see if there is a connector going to your rack. Also I have capped off the the vacuum lines going to the power steering pump. I then removed them and had them pull air in but I have not noticed anything going on with the caps on or the caps off. Should i place back the vacuum lines.

Amir
I was wondering the same thing....does that plug do anything? My power steering is not working either. I just replaced the pump today, but have not fully bleed the system. (car in the air, left~right steering 20+ times). I've never noticed anything plugged into that big connector. I HIGHLY doubt it's because I haven't bleed the system. I mean, before and after pump change, no difference. I had to change pump anyways due to leakage. NOW, no more leaking. Time for another steering rack or...???? HELP!!!
Old 01-01-08, 11:10 AM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300TT!
Did you make sure to bleed the powersteering of air completely?
The level should not rise as much as you say. Overflowing with bubbles
means you have air in your system. I would jack up the front wheels on to stands and start the engine and turn all the way left and then all the way right like 50 times or until fliud level rises very little with each turn. Don't go too fast at first or you'll have a mess. Put a towel around the reservior and
one loosely on top of the reservior with out the cap. Anyways, sounds like air. Also, make sure you are using the right fluid. Dextron II+
Most likely air is still trapped. (looks foamy right) No weight on the front tires
is key, won't stress the pump while working the air out. When you think
everything is good hold the streering @ full lock for 15 sec, then turn to
other side & hold. Do that 10/15 times & should be good to go.

DO NOT USE POWER STEERING FLUID - MUST USE ATF.
Old 01-01-08, 03:58 PM
96dtm850
Driver

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
Most likely air is still trapped. (looks foamy right) No weight on the front tires
is key, won't stress the pump while working the air out. When you think
everything is good hold the streering @ full lock for 15 sec, then turn to
other side & hold. Do that 10/15 times & should be good to go.

DO NOT USE POWER STEERING FLUID - MUST USE ATF.
nah, fluid is not foamy. In fact, doesn't even look like its moving around with then engine running. However, if i put my hand over the reservoir with the cap off, engine running, I can feel the suction, so I assume the NEW pump is working. I just had it in the air and turned the wheel left right for for a good 25+ times each way, held for approx. 3 seconds and still nothing. Looking at the rack, I JUST noticed on the passenger side, the boot has a small tear and some fluid is coming out. So looks I'm looking for a rack anyways. Hopefully this will solve everything.
Old 01-01-08, 05:42 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

You guys need to wire up the PPS. Without PPS (progressive power steering) the steering will always be hard no matter what you do .The powersteering system is controlled by a computer that monitors the speed which adjust the steering pressure at high / low speeds.the faster you go the harder it gets , the slower you go the softer it gets.
Old 01-01-08, 05:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

There is a connector on the side of the PS reservoir with two vac lines coming out. One goes to the intake, one goes to the intake tube. If they are reversed the pump will boil over.

Usually it'll foam though.

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Did a powersteering flush and still had issues. Had a failed alternator, swapped it out and now the ps works? Not sure if it's a coincidence or not. Just adding my .02 on a fixed erupting PS pump.
Not a coincidence, you got the vac lines back correct when you swapped it. (I know this is an older response, but it's da troof!)

Quick Reply: No power steering, fluid erupts? HELP!