Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAP ECU on SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 11:18 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAP ECU on SC400

One of the things I'll be doing this winter is getting a MAP ECU and wideband.

On the SC400 we have a karman type AFM. If I use MAP ECU, AFM would be eliminated all together correct?

Right now i have stock AFM with S-AFC and I was thinking if I go MAP ECU with wideband I can get rid of the AFM and S-AFC.

Am I understanding this right?

thanks
Old 05-02-06, 05:28 PM
nasc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep right. But the Map ecu is quite difficult to use with karman type ECU's
Old 05-02-06, 05:35 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, it wont be worth the performance gains if you're not going to go forced induction.

The MAP-ECU doesnt really like the KVF system.
Old 05-02-06, 09:41 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,420 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Actually it would be worth the performance gains. Although many have said and tested that nothing outflows the Stock/BFI air box on the pre 97's. The MAF is the reason why. No matter how big a pipe you put on the intake, it will flow no more than the smallest restriction will allow.

The Map ECU will tune some out but... it is a ***** to tune, and on a N/A motor I have read about many trying to tune it out with countless hours of tunning and tunning, only to still have driveability problems in the open loop mode.

Some have also thied to use the Ford MAF or GM which are less restrictive, but I still have yet to see anyone who has done it other that a High HP turrbo or someone using the HKS unit. If someone has done it, I would like to know how and who.
Old 05-03-06, 06:46 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
Actually it would be worth the performance gains. Although many have said and tested that nothing outflows the Stock/BFI air box on the pre 97's. The MAF is the reason why. No matter how big a pipe you put on the intake, it will flow no more than the smallest restriction will allow.

The Map ECU will tune some out but... it is a ***** to tune, and on a N/A motor I have read about many trying to tune it out with countless hours of tunning and tunning, only to still have driveability problems in the open loop mode.

Some have also thied to use the Ford MAF or GM which are less restrictive, but I still have yet to see anyone who has done it other that a High HP turrbo or someone using the HKS unit. If someone has done it, I would like to know how and who.
This is exactly the reason why I'm looking to do the switch.
Currently there are MAP ECU's that have "learn mode" even though a baseline fuel map is not available. From the briefs I gathered that the map ecu will copy settings as you drive your car around with factory ecu and afm still in place. After driving across all revv band ranges it will take the settings and use it as a base fuel map. So the technology seems to have stepped up since the vpc days..... In any case to get ITB's map ecu is mandatory, but I just wanted some clarification.

Thanks
Old 05-03-06, 07:23 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your best bet is to talk to obiwan on supraforums.
Old 07-04-06, 09:02 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

any update to this? i've been in wait for a unichip from a local dealer... (been over 2 months because of complications with new versions). if the map ecu can be worked with, i'd gladly dump the unichip and hop on this bandwagon.
Old 07-05-06, 12:57 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

...anything to get rid of the MAF.
Old 07-06-06, 01:47 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtucci
...anything to get rid of the MAF.
Im curious to see how big a restriction the MAF really is. I've always heard that mafs are restrictions but never seen any data to back up the claims. On the supraforums many people claimed that the maf was a restriction even at bpu levels (400-450hp) but a member dynoed with stock maf, then installed the vpc and made the same power . Theres even a member that made over 600whp with the stock supra maf . Im sure, at that power level, some ponies would be picked up with the removal of the maf but it does show that it's still capable of making fairly good power.

VSsc400: It is not mandatory to run itb's on a maf based car. All you would need is an air box . I can totally see why you would want to convert to speed density with itbs .
Old 07-06-06, 06:10 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

if theres a somewhat cost effective way to get rid of the MAF, i would do it. but i also agree with you on some points. i had a 2003 mitsu lancer which was worked up w/ turbo and it made 200+ whp just fine with maf in place. i've even seen the lancer run high 12s with maf still in place. this is the regular lancer.. not the evo. so... even more reason maf isnt as bad as one might think.
Old 07-06-06, 12:32 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM 96SC3, he just installed the Map-Ecu into his SC300.