Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission HP Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 05:06 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission HP Capacity?

I have been told by one person that the stock lexus SC's transmissions can handle about 400-450hp then second gear will give out... I question that statement and am now wondering has anyone heard of a blown Lexus transmission from pushing too much power?.. Any lexus's?... The reason I ask is that I am running a little over 400hp on my 1992 SC400 with 110,000 miles and it feels great with no problems or any signs of failure. I am also running an LSD with good rubber, and would really like to push for more hp without blowing it?
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-06, 05:46 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to end the conversation and answer you question...

Can it? Probably for a very short time..

Should it? NO.

How Long will it last? Depends how much and how hard you drive you car.

Last edited by IronCobra; 04-02-06 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-02-06, 05:48 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Déjà Vu

Not this again. Like others have said you are probably at about the transmissions breaking point. If you drove around with N02 on all the time my guess would be that your transmission would be on its last leg. Being that you probably don't it's hard to say when your particular transmission will go. My experiences with transmission failures is that usually there isn't much of a sign until it's too late.

Last edited by XxSC400xX; 04-02-06 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 07:54 PM
jibbby

Nitros Oxide System!!!!!!!!! sorry for the wrong posting area, and thanks for the tranny info....
Attached Thumbnails Transmission HP Capacity?-hpim0327.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 04-16-06 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-17-06, 01:31 PM
jibbby

Turbo teg -

I posted this thread in October 2005 and this post was actually meant to be posted in the section "transmittion thread" I appologise for the error guys. Teg if you read the subject title you will see that I mention tranny hp capacity and not nos....and I was spouting off or referring to hp numbers at the flywheel and not at the rear wheels in regards to the transmission capacity in the SC's..

Was I really spouting? Could have fooled me.......see ya

21CE - I never remember posting that my S@S Headers gave me 30-40hp, maybe the entire exhaust system upgrade perhaps but not just headers, and I would love to see where I said that (I don't think so pal)..... Maybe 10-20hp tops..... Also my claimed 100hp dry nos shot can shoot out close to a 150hp with a newly charged and heated bottle. Hope that helps

jgscott- thanks for your post.......

Xxsc400xX - Your post was the most helpful, thanks!!!!.... I never considered the fact that the tranny is really only under max stress when the Naaawwwwsss is active, and mostly under close too normal load when normally driving which is most of the time.. That could be the reason my tranny is holding up so well under the increased HP compared to other AFI application SC's..... That was the pupose of this post....However, I do experience untimely shifts sometimes when on the juice, but she's holding...

Last edited by jibbby; 04-17-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 01:00 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix

Sorry Jibby but you are full of **** and need to be banned ASAP before you keep making claims that are either very hard to impossible to do.

I want to see that 400hp uz of yours, maybe we can do some highway runs to see if you're really make that much power..

And yes im calling you out.
Damn dude, sounding pretty confident there. How about you take this to the Honda forums where this kind of trash talk is tolerated. I cant believe the Mods havent gotten to you yet.

Jibbbyy - Nice nitrous setup. Have you dynoed your car yet? If so, what were your numbers. I used to drive an SC400 with a 150 shot of nitrous and still couldnt get any numbers that high. For most 400hp is hard to believe because it is hard to build up a 1UZ to put out such gains. Let us know your secret so that we can better understand what is under your hood.
Old 04-19-06, 10:38 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,259 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I'm going to jump on the band wagon. Jibby you have taken alot of crap here. Seems some people are just obsessed with being negitive. Like I said in Turbo Tegs Nitrous Dyno post, it seems like anyone modding a SC4 that makes over 210 HP get all kinds of Negitive comments.

This is the exact reason why I won't even think about posting my 97 SC4 modded 125 shot Dyno. It was higher than most but , I'll let the negitive poster that have only about 50 % my RWHP see my tailights not my dyno. I don't race dyno's !

I remember posting about my Nitrous install and a guy who posted that he felt a "Night and Day" difference on his SC300 personal web site made a negitive comment until I linked his Quote.
Jibby you already know I have been on your side for a while, both here and at the other forum. I try to stay out of the SC fourm for that reason. The GS fourm never has this kinda of posting.

Members, here was Jibby question " has anyone heard of a blown Lexus transmission from pushing too much power?.. " and then look at the post on this thread. Later someone will ask this question again and the answer will be do a Search, and this what they will see.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-19-06 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-19-06, 11:06 AM
jibbby

Thanks guys, I love you all!!!!!! I understand my credibility suffers on this forum from that darn chart I posted a long time ago, and I am fully prepared to take all the crap that is flying my way for it.. Taking it like a man and shruging it off..

However, I am grateful to have a few friends on this forum that are trying to make peace... Oh and yes I am still learning just like many others and I am sure a few of my past posts are not 100% accurate, just trying to offer what I have learned to help others .. Not trying to start any posting wars or mislead anyone, not my intentions...For the record again, I have always expressed my horsepower claims at the flywheel and not at the wheels. I won't do that anymore.. I can take the hits....It's all good I think :
Old 04-19-06, 01:27 PM
jibbby

In regards to my car being "a beast", I will tell you it is not... It is very fast for a 1992 Lexus sc400, looks nice, but is not a beast on the street....I just had the luxury of driving in a 2006 Chevy Corvette Z06 the other day, we punched it and now I must say that car is truly a beast....that new sportcar is very nice and super fast and I think I really like it. alot.... .