GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Will a TC put extra stress...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-01, 10:18 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Those with TC's: Will the TC put added stress on the transmission? I have a GS400 with 57K on it. I am just wondering if it would be wise to put a TC on a transmission with that many miles on it and risk having the transmission giving out.

Maybe, I should wait until the transmission goes and then put the TC on once the transmission has been rebuilt. I like the TC but am afraid I will escalate the degradation of the transmission before its time and I don't want to go through the money of rebuilding the transmission so soon. Thanks for any advice.

Brent
Old 05-02-01, 11:57 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Precaution

Brent - While the T/C may reduce the life of the tranny ( as almost any mod will to the equipment it's installed on ), it will be a minimal loss. The main thing U need to address ( & handle ) is the additional heat the extra slippage will generate. THAT'S what will take many thousands of miles off the tranny life, not so much the wear on the clutches & bands. I know that Mo sells a slimline model tranny cooler that U can install in front of the radiator to bring things back in line with the factory temperatures as this add-on cooler handles only tranny fluid ( unlike the factory radiator which must cool both tranny fluid & coolant ). I've had mine over a year ( & a summer of 100+ degree Louisiana days ) & my fluid smells fine & didn't notice any unusual particles in the pan ( or more than to be expected for normal wear & tear ). I'd recommend that instead of just doing a fluid R&R at factory intervals, go ahead & drop the pan & replace/clean the filter as an extra precaution ( cleaning's about all I've needed in 30k miles of use - 2 changes ). If U want a stealthy install, get some BBQ grill or header paint & spray the cooler before installing it & it'll blend into the radiator & almost be invisible from those pesky service techs & writers!! About your mileage - unless U've really ragged your GS out, I don't see a problem with a T/C install right now. U should get a several years outta the tranny before U need to address it again but it's hard to tell because I don't know how well U maintain the car or how hard U drive it. As a reference point, I install my Lingenfelter 406 ( w/nitrous ) onto a tranny with 40K miles on it ( added a valve body; T/C & cooler at that time ) & the car was going strong ( 600+ HP!! ) when I sold it at 80k.:eek:
Old 05-02-01, 12:04 PM
RacingAristo

Mean Gene,

How much did you get for the tranny cooler? I might be interested but so far not many people heard about that from my local shops.
Old 05-02-01, 12:12 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Check w/Mo

RA - I see us going back & forth here - maybe we should do the chat room thing ( if I knew how!! LOL!! ). I think I paid $45-$50 from Mo at the time I bought the T/C from him. I'm familiar with the brand as it's the same brand that I used on my 'Vette but the GS one is smaller ( still effective, though ). I think it's a Cool Tech but I forget the GVW rating as it was so long ago - Gawd, the mind IS a terrible thing to waste!! Give Mo a shout! PS - rattle his cage about the tranny ECU, willya??!!
Old 05-02-01, 12:15 PM
RacingAristo

Because I've talked to some local shops and RMM and the guy doesn't know nothing about the tranny cooler so I figure if tranny cooler is that important, they should at least carry it. But for 40 to 50 bucks, it's worth the investment. But if no one has heard about it, how could I install it? That's the big question.
Old 05-02-01, 12:32 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool Mounting

RA - All the parts necessary are included in the kit, with the exception of enough ty-wraps. U just find the factory lines ( both return & departure S/S lines ) & cut into them. Then use the enclosed rubber hosing to tie the auxillary cooler inline into this cooling loop. U just ty-wrap the cooler in front of the radiator & U're done - took me about 15 minutes while I was doing the T/C install. The instructions are included with the cooler as well. U'll need just a cup or so more fluid ( another good thing for cooling - any little bit helps but I don't know of a deep pan for the Lexus tranny yet ) as U've effectively lengthened the cooling loop system but if ya have a gallon of the Toyota fluid there already, U've got more than enough. Even if Mo doesn't have any more, just a small cooler with the GVW designed for a small compact will do the job - I no longer have my paperwork on mine but remember reading that it was the second smallest GVW rated kit Cool Tech made.