Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Vents for relieving under hood heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 04:24 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vents for relieving under hood heat

Before you begin the mad rush to type, "That's rice!", I would like to head that off and say that I have experienced high underhood heat on warm days and running the turbo hot. If I make a run down I5 in California and stop the engine bay heat reaches extremely high temperatures.

What I am looking for is recommendations/advice/etc. on ways to allow heat to naturally convect through some opening that would be in a stylized fashion not indicative of the cheap louvred Civics I see out there. If you have such information please share.

If not louvres or similar venting methods? When moving it could be better but is okay.

PS: Also, I'm back after so long. I used to be on this forum a great deal but was 90-100% travel and it was difficult keeping up. I hope to get back in and contribute to the community again. See you at the EOS meet in NorCal.
Old 09-23-05, 06:01 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Welcome back, I know what you mean; after a short stop you can practically count the seconds to where heat soak will have spoiled the drive on hotter days anyways(Seattle), and I have though about this also. I was looking at the front fenders, possibly making a well styled, body color/ polished stainless grill/bezel to let some hot air out, or just venting into the fenderwell. May even require some small fans, since the problem is at low speeds(one of my mid-engined cars had a system like that to keep the coils cool).
Old 09-23-05, 06:03 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not rice if its functional--has a tangible benefit to it. No need to worry IMO.

Scott
Old 09-23-05, 06:37 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can check out my last post, where I fabricated an air induction funnel into the engine bay from the right gap in the lower front bumper.

This has drastically reduced engine bay tempertures and killed all together "cool-down-pinging" once stopped from a liberating run.

Just an invisible, non-rice option to your delimma.
Old 09-23-05, 09:13 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I know the honda guys put spacers on the hood hinge bolts to raise the hood up some. that would just look stupid on our cars though. i've thought about taking out the rubber seal on the bottom of the hood where it meets the firewall.. that would only be for a day that i'd be driving all around town and such though
Old 09-24-05, 06:21 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Default hood

Originally Posted by got_trd
well I know the honda guys put spacers on the hood hinge bolts to raise the hood up some. that would just look stupid on our cars though. i've thought about taking out the rubber seal on the bottom of the hood where it meets the firewall.. that would only be for a day that i'd be driving all around town and such though
That trick is way before honduh's time.
I remeber in the 80s' in Puerto rico and Dominican Republic all the toyotas and datsuns had washers and longer bolts to raise the hoods
Old 09-25-05, 08:19 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i own a honda now (only until i can afford my lexus, im only 21) and the washer to raise the hood doesnt work on most cars, there needs to be ample under-hood space in my experiences. I have tried measuring the temps before and after adding the washers and the temps only dropped up to 5 degrees and didnt aid in heat soak from boosting hard.i second the idea of making a vent to the fenders with the possiblity of using a small fan to aid in evacuation. good luck