LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

When A/C is turned on, sounds like angry bees...

Old 08-23-07, 06:34 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default When A/C is turned on, sounds like angry bees...

...really angry bees, gets louder as I rev the RPMs. A/C is cold (re-did my fluke test and found it running at 38 Farenheit) but not like my friends LS (that one really blows the air OUT). I also notice that when my A/C is engaged, it dips in RPM (as opposed to going up?) Anyone have this problem, or know what it could be?

Unrelated, I did a fluke test reading in my engine bay (top of intake manifold not touching anything metal), its running around 180 in there. Anyone know if that's normal temp, and has anyone did anything to help it out. On my last car, I put some washers on the hood supports to "lift the hood slightly". Helped out a lot. No hood scoops wanted, thx.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-07, 08:38 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Please, mighty LS400 gods, answer my request...
Old 08-24-07, 09:35 AM
mac6694
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol...^ good one.

Well that sounds normal...so far as the heat goes. And props on the 'poor-boy' cowl induction for the engine bay, I honestly hadn't considered doing that to this car. I might have to play with that, see how it affects the body lines.

I'm not sure about our cars' AC units but it sounds like you're having a problem with air being pushed out, and power being robbed from the compressor coming on.

It IS just the AC that this happens right, not just when the fan comes on? Just wanna make sure...
Old 08-24-07, 09:39 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The clutch on AC might be bad that could be the noise and reason for idle to decrease.
Old 08-24-07, 09:54 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexkost
The clutch on AC might be bad that could be the noise and reason for idle to decrease.
Thanks for both of your replies, yes it is only when the AC is engaged.

Do they sell the clutch/pulley separately from the compressor? Most places I've seen only sell it with the compressor...
Old 08-24-07, 09:57 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42

Do they sell the clutch/pulley separately from the compressor? Most places I've seen only sell it with the compressor...
I do not know if you can buy just the clutch/pulley .

This is a question for Puredrifter.

Last edited by Lexkost; 08-24-07 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-24-07, 02:28 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

I would say your compressor is stuffed !!
I would be surprised if it's just the clutch .
If your compressor is gone it's gunna cost !!
Also don't run it anymore , you are just contaminating the rest of the system !!
The Nippondenso compressor in these LS400's is huge , you could put it in a bus , when you go to replace it you could downsize one size and not notice , also these are just an awesome made compressor , just the best , no other brand even comes close , BUT if you don't replace the dryer/filter and regas every two years eventually the compressor will fail from the crap in the system , if the dryer and regas is done that compressor will outlast the engine about 3 times over !!
If it is the compressor you will need to do the filter/dryer , take out the condensor and have it flushed and also have the evaporator out from under the dash so that it can be flushed and replace the TX valve while you are at it , I've seen it time and time again , guys don't go the whole hog , they just replace the compressor and the filter/dryer and maybe flush the condensor and then 6 mths to a year later they have a stuffed compressor again as they didn't get all the crap out of the system .
The air con system in the LS is so good as it's just complete overkill !!
I like having the biggest compressor in the universe in my car , I know it's not working hard , over here in Aus to replace the LS compressor is about $980.00 , the next size down is about $580.00 , I've done a few over here [ but not mine as I know !! ] and looked at getting the unit in from the States and the parts guys over there where suprised at the cost .
Also there's nothing wrong with a second hand compressor , just pull the back inlet plate off and check that the oil is very clean , this is a good indication that all is well , better yet is to hear it running or I should say not be able to hear it running !!
Good luck !!
Old 08-24-07, 02:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
I do not know if you can buy just the clutch/pulley .

This is a question for Puredrifter.
lol, just for you 2 genii (or is it geniuses i need to sleep more )

Lex/Toy part no. 8841050040
AC Compressor clutch/pulley kit (cant remember the exact name...)
list price is ~$250ish

Carson's price for CL is $200
Old 08-24-07, 04:22 PM
Christian
Pole Position

Hello,

I would also love to hear a solution for the whining problem. My AC compressor did this from the beginning. I live with it now for 8 years. The system is serviced every 2 years and cools perfectly only the noise is horrorfying and absolutely not Lexuslike.

Chris
Old 08-24-07, 07:29 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
lol, just for you 2 genii (or is it geniuses i need to sleep more )

Lex/Toy part no. 8841050040
AC Compressor clutch/pulley kit (cant remember the exact name...)
list price is ~$250ish

Carson's price for CL is $200
Crap, but its a lot cheap than what richoenz is saying, I'll grab one from a junked one at pick a part and find out whats up.

BTW, it depends on whether or not genius is used as an adjective or noun form. Genii is fine in noun sense, but as an adjective genius has no plural form.

Thank you Pure. Your next bottle of Excedrin is on me.
Old 08-24-07, 08:15 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think and hope that rich was quoting in Australian dollar not US.
FYI, the cheapest OE compressor clutch I have found is the rebuilt Denso clutch, which is rebuilt by Denso and sold at sparkplugs.com. It's $142 for the Gen II. You'll need to shim it at installation.
Old 08-24-07, 10:03 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alsalih
I think and hope that rich was quoting in Australian dollar not US.
FYI, the cheapest OE compressor clutch I have found is the rebuilt Denso clutch, which is rebuilt by Denso and sold at sparkplugs.com. It's $142 for the Gen II. You'll need to shim it at installation.
http://sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?...7478&pid=14435

Cool beans, looks like they carry it for the 1st Gen as well. Thank you.
Old 08-25-07, 01:13 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

http://sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?...7478&pid=14435

Cool beans, looks like they carry it for the 1st Gen as well. Thank you.
keep in mind that it is "Remanufactured"

the price i gave u was for a new part personally id throw in an extra 25% for brand new but to each his own
Old 08-25-07, 08:59 AM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually PD brings up a good point that needs to be clarified. Contrary to what we used to believe, Lexus does NOT always sell new parts! According to the guy at the parts department at Park Place Plano, when I bought my water pump, it was a rebuilt unit and it had made in Mexico on it. The other components that I know for a fact that the dealer sells as rebuilt are the alternator, compressor clutch, compressor, and starter. This appears to be something new that Lexus is doing to help control the cost of parts. These however are not just rebuilt by any company, they are the original Denso parts rebuilt by Denso themselves.
Old 08-25-07, 11:55 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by alsalih
Actually PD brings up a good point that needs to be clarified. Contrary to what we used to believe, Lexus does NOT always sell new parts! According to the guy at the parts department at Park Place Plano, when I bought my water pump, it was a rebuilt unit and it had made in Mexico on it. The other components that I know for a fact that the dealer sells as rebuilt are the alternator, compressor clutch, compressor, and starter. This appears to be something new that Lexus is doing to help control the cost of parts. These however are not just rebuilt by any company, they are the original Denso parts rebuilt by Denso themselves.
it isnt lexus, but each individual dealer who stocks parts from whoever they want. lexus only stipulates that they have to TELL You when the parts arent "genuine".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When A/C is turned on, sounds like angry bees...