Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC3 5spd to 6 spd swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 06:08 PM
neurot75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC3 5spd to 6 spd swap

Ive flipped through every page in this Forced Induction section and saw nothing in depth about 5spd to 6spd swaps on SC300's. Theres plenty talkd about auto to manual swaps but im more interested in the other way.

Im planning on buying a 5 spd SC3 some time very soon (deff wont get an auto and do the whole swap thing, too much trouble and too many thgins can go wrong)

What im really curious about is if swapping to the 6 spd really worth it, and would it be too much trouble? I remember hearing somethign that 95+ SC3's have bigger tunnels to accomodate the 6 spd.

If anyone has some really useful indepth info on this subject i would really like to hear it, also from ppl who have done it?

Thanks
-Vlad
Old 08-11-05, 06:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about you describe why you think you need the 6-speed? Cant really tell you if its worth it if we have no clue about what you've got already.
Old 08-11-05, 10:00 PM
jacques
Pole Position

If your planning on getting a turbo and running high boost (500+ hp) then I'd say it would be worth it. Other than that it's quite an expensive mod and the money would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 08-12-05, 07:27 AM
neurot75
Driver School Candidate

There are several reasons. If i do get this then there would be too overwhelming of a drive to push the car past the 500hp mark, which is where i would need a stronger tranny.

Also the 6spd is a true 5 speed with an overdrive, and ive always been a fan of that. Also after looking through gear charts of the two, and compared to some other popular trannies, the gears seem to be nicely spaced.

At this point i would like to know mostly how easy or how hard this task would be. The money would be there, but Not in a form of an endless pit. So i would care abut the price... to an extent.
Old 08-12-05, 11:31 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by neurot75
There are several reasons. If i do get this then there would be too overwhelming of a drive to push the car past the 500hp mark, which is where i would need a stronger tranny.

Also the 6spd is a true 5 speed with an overdrive, and ive always been a fan of that. Also after looking through gear charts of the two, and compared to some other popular trannies, the gears seem to be nicely spaced.

At this point i would like to know mostly how easy or how hard this task would be. The money would be there, but Not in a form of an endless pit. So i would care abut the price... to an extent.
Actually the 6-speed is a 6-speed with overdrive and the 5-speed is a 5-speed with overdrive
You could say the 6-speed has 5 regular gears and 1 overdrive unlike other Getrag trannies (*COUGH T56* *COUGH*)

Look at about $4000-$4500 on the 6-speed drivetrain swap. About the cost of a full blown turbokit.
Old 08-12-05, 11:51 AM
neurot75
Driver School Candidate

what i meant by the 6spd being a TRUE 5spd with overdrive is that the 5th gear is a 1:1 gear, and the 6th is .something gear making it an over drive gear

The 5spd in the SC3 (and very very few 5spds are true 5 spds) is not a true 5 spd. Usually with 5 spd trannies the 4th gear is a 1:1 gear and the 5th gear is pretty much an over drive gear where it goes below 1, usually .8something

Now could someone please answer me on this topic and not polute the thread?

*edit*

how can a 5spd be a true 5spd WITH an overdrive? thinkg about what you're saying.
Old 08-14-05, 01:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I am. 4th gear in the W58 is a 1:1 just how 5th gear in the V160 is a 1:1

5speed with an overdrive means that the 5th gear is an overdrive

If one says a 6speed with two overdrives then that implies the top two gears are overdriven (such as the T56 used in many different domestics)

I guess we have different definitions of what "true" is. I guess you mean 4 or 5 gears to play with.
Old 08-14-05, 10:45 AM
Wreckless
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bean
Actually the 6-speed is a 6-speed with overdrive and the 5-speed is a 5-speed with overdrive
You could say the 6-speed has 5 regular gears and 1 overdrive unlike other Getrag trannies (*COUGH T56* *COUGH*)
The T-56 found in the Viper, F-bodies, and 03/04 Cobras is made by Tremec, not Getrag
Old 08-14-05, 12:06 PM
neurot75
Driver School Candidate

ok, we're talking about the same thing.

What i said is that the 6spd is a true 5 speed, where the 5th gear has a 1:1 ratio, and then the 6th is just an overdrive.

why all the hostility?

My question still hasnt been answered, so forget it.

I got it somewhere else.

You guys are worthless.
Old 08-14-05, 10:05 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wreckless
The T-56 found in the Viper, F-bodies, and 03/04 Cobras is made by Tremec, not Getrag

My bad... i had a sinking feeling that it wasnt getrag but couldnt put my finger on the manufacturer
Old 08-14-05, 10:06 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

What i said is that the 6spd is a true 5 speed, where the 5th gear has a 1:1 ratio, and then the 6th is just an overdrive.

why all the hostility?

I got it somewhere else.

You guys are worthless.
I dont see any hostility, I think you're taking the posts a little too seriously. And I know where you got the information from, because I was the one who gave it to you

I posted it on the site that you read it once because it had never been posted over there. I'm not as bad of a guy as you think I am. I think you need to sit back and chill for a second and think about something. How many people do you think continuously come on here and ask the same exact question you asked? The information has been posted before, I know because I was in the middle of it. People grow tired of answering the same questions over and over when they can easily be found (and with even more info) by searching. At least you tried to search.

But I disagree with 'you guys are worthless' posts. Not a good way to make friends on the clublex board.

Last edited by Bean; 08-14-05 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 11:16 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

why all the hostility?

I got it somewhere else.

You guys are worthless.
3 or 4 speed manuals have the top gear as 1:1, ummm, I think virtually all 5 speeds have 4th as 1 to 1. So this means no 5 speeds are 5 speeds???