Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone patient enough to tell me about 5spd swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 11:38 PM
ev0ti0n
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone patient enough to tell me about 5spd swap?

I have an auto and I want to swap the auto to a 5spd. Anyone wanna give me a list of parts I'm going to need so I won't have to make a million stops to the junkyard?
Old 07-26-05, 12:21 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

different ways of doing it; i'll tell you how to do it the easiest way (if youre not planning ona turbokit anytime soon anyways)

you need:

W58 5-speed transmission setup for your particular year car... 95+ SCs and Supra W58s have a different shifter mechanism and causes the tranny to not quite line up right in the wrong year car

2jz-ge clutch (can pick up new OEM replacement on ebay for $100 and its good quality)

2jz flywheel for W58 (basically a 5-speed 2jz-ge flywheel)

clutch pedal box (i'd get one from a SC 5-speed if you can find it honestly, not sure of fitment with the Supra model, it might be the same, i dunno)

5-speed SC or Supra slave cylinder and associated hardware (brackets and such)

5-speed SC driveshaft (or get a custom one made for $$$)

And a Park-lockout bypass so you can actually crank the car... normally the ECU has to see the auto tranny in "park" before it allows you to crank...
similar to how the 5-speed needs to have the clutch disengaged fully before it will crank

Shift ****, shift boot, shifter (sometimes the tranny doesnt come with it), and 5-speed SC lower panel (instead of the one for the automagic)

If I've forgotten anything, someone lemme know

Biggest PITA I know of is putting the clutch pedal box in and getting the slave cylinder setup with it... once you've done that, the rest is turning wrenches (And bypassing one wire)
Old 07-26-05, 12:38 AM
ev0ti0n
Driver

Wow that sounds like hell. So this is for the SC400 95? Sorry i forgot to mention that in my original post.
Old 07-26-05, 11:21 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ev0ti0n
Wow that sounds like hell. So this is for the SC400 95? Sorry i forgot to mention that in my original post.
Nope.
There was no 5-spd manual mated to the 1UZ-FE. You can however find VsSC400's thread about his project to make a 5-spd possible.
Found here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145013

Last edited by Koma; 07-26-05 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-26-05, 12:37 PM
ev0ti0n
Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
Nope.
There was no 5-spd manual mated to the 1UZ-FE. You can however find VsSC400's thread about his project to make a 5-spd possible.
Found here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145013

Wow that sucks. Ugh.
Old 10-18-05, 01:21 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
different ways of doing it; i'll tell you how to do it the easiest way (if youre not planning ona turbokit anytime soon anyways)

you need:

W58 5-speed transmission setup for your particular year car... 95+ SCs and Supra W58s have a different shifter mechanism and causes the tranny to not quite line up right in the wrong year car

2jz-ge clutch (can pick up new OEM replacement on ebay for $100 and its good quality)

2jz flywheel for W58 (basically a 5-speed 2jz-ge flywheel)

clutch pedal box (i'd get one from a SC 5-speed if you can find it honestly, not sure of fitment with the Supra model, it might be the same, i dunno)

5-speed SC or Supra slave cylinder and associated hardware (brackets and such)

5-speed SC driveshaft (or get a custom one made for $$$)

And a Park-lockout bypass so you can actually crank the car... normally the ECU has to see the auto tranny in "park" before it allows you to crank...
similar to how the 5-speed needs to have the clutch disengaged fully before it will crank

Shift ****, shift boot, shifter (sometimes the tranny doesnt come with it), and 5-speed SC lower panel (instead of the one for the automagic)

If I've forgotten anything, someone lemme know

Biggest PITA I know of is putting the clutch pedal box in and getting the slave cylinder setup with it... once you've done that, the rest is turning wrenches (And bypassing one wire)

Where can I get a park-lockout bypass??
Old 10-18-05, 02:07 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can make a lockout bypass yourself. that is the one wire he is talking about. i forget which pins it links but its very easy and can be found in many posts.
Old 10-19-05, 09:27 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

So with this bypass, the ECU sees that the car is in park; if that's the case the ECU shouldn't send codes to pull timing at auto shift points then right; thus making the ECU compatible; right?