Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Running EXTREMELY hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 04:37 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running EXTREMELY hot

well, basically the title says it all, but here's my problems in a narrative form. My dummy temperature gauge had reached to the letter "H", pass the red marking sometime last week. It all started couple months ago; it started with the needle cripping up the increment. Then recently, like pass week, the needle moved to a higher level, touched the red mark, near the red mark, and twice touching "H". BUT, it helps when I turn on my heater full blast, then the needle would likely not to reach near the red mark. So, I'm thinking,

1. Air in cooling system???? but then wouldn't air make it's way out of the system to the top and come out of the system, b/c whenever I run hot, my reservoir tank does over-flow and I figure air will come out along with the over-flowing fluid.

2. Is my radiator or my cooling system clogged up??? If so, how could I check and see if it is??? and I plan on draining the whole system with new fluid. What fluid will I need? Under my radiator cap the fluid is green, but in the reservoir is red~~????I don't know why, and I've done some major searching in these few days, I've read something about the Toyota red fluid, is that a fluid from Toyota or is it a fluid that can be purchase elsewhere and Toyota just stocks them. Is there an alternative fluid to it, or is that red fluid the only fluid that need to be use in the system.

3. Water pump........I so hope it's not it. How would I know if it's not working.

Please help, my SC is just sitting in the garage.

I greatly appreciate your help if it helps
Old 05-11-05, 04:42 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Late last year I was having trouble with my temp gauge shooting up and down. I switched over to 100% coolant and had no more issues with it. I know its not what people will reccomend, just telling you what worked for me.
Old 05-12-05, 12:50 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Hmm I thought I replied to this thread.. Ohh well. Check your thermostat. You'll know if its your thermostat if you leave your car running and let the temp go all the way up then you quickly sqeeze the fat coolant hose that goes out from the radiator..if it is not soft then coolant and water is not getting through so your problem is the thermostat.
Old 05-12-05, 03:54 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Stuck thermostat, do not run these engines HOT, you are going to blow a headgasket and will be in a world of hurt. Thermostats are cheap and very easy to replace if you are a DIYer.
Old 05-12-05, 09:39 PM
RjRacing
Driver

As mentioned above, it definitely sounds like the thermostat is stuck closed by your description, but I don't recommend running straight coolant what so ever like someone else mentioned.
Old 05-13-05, 02:32 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

well...everything is fine now..it's only the radiator cap not appling enough pressure to build vacuum.......
Old 05-13-05, 03:45 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Gnarly