Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Problem with speedo and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 09:43 PM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with speedo and tranny

My sc3 (auto) is having a little bit of problems right now. The speedo started to go crazy on me and just flickers back and forth really really fast. (from like 50 to 140 mph) Then once it starts doing that the car starts to feel as if it is going to stall if you keep it in drive. Does anyone know whats the deal with my car? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Old 04-27-05, 09:46 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about SC's but on most cars a changing speedo is the VSS ( Vehicle Speed Sensor). You may want to search that and see what you come up with.

I am sure someone else can chime in,

Jonny
Old 04-27-05, 10:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

But with his car jerking and such, it sounds more like a bad ground on the computer.
Old 04-28-05, 10:05 PM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
But with his car jerking and such, it sounds more like a bad ground on the computer.
Do you think a grounding kit would do the job?
Old 04-28-05, 10:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Not unless you plan on using it inside the faulty computer.

(no, that wil not help).

The computer is my guess, but you REALLY need to pay for a diagnostics on the machine. You always come out cheaper that way with problems like THIS one.
Old 04-29-05, 09:07 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wildrice09
Do you think a grounding kit would do the job?
I Installed a $100 grounding kit made specifically for the SC and I didn't notice any difference.

Jonny
Old 04-29-05, 03:51 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I Installed a $100 grounding kit made specifically for the SC and I didn't notice any difference.

Jonny
I made a grounding kit for ~$8 and didnt notice anything either (well my lights dont dim as much when the bass hits). As for your problem, when my alternator had fried but I was still driving my car on battery power, my cluster started to go CRAZY right before my car died. Whenever I hit the brakes or used the blinkers, everything would start goin up and down just like your problem. So it has somethin to do with not getting enough power/ground
Old 04-30-05, 09:33 AM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
I made a grounding kit for ~$8 and didnt notice anything either (well my lights dont dim as much when the bass hits). As for your problem, when my alternator had fried but I was still driving my car on battery power, my cluster started to go CRAZY right before my car died. Whenever I hit the brakes or used the blinkers, everything would start goin up and down just like your problem. So it has somethin to do with not getting enough power/ground
Well, my problem is just a little different. If I park it outside and the engine is cool, then it works fine for like the first couple minutes then it starts going crazy. it doesnt do anything when i use my blinkers or anything like that, but mainly when you floor it. When the speedo starts to filicker like mad, the tranny begins to like start in the wrong gears and hesitate shifting. Is this still the same problem or should i just go and get a diagnostic?? (Thanks for all of the suggestions and help)
Old 04-30-05, 04:50 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Hey man,

It seems like you may have more than one issue here - but a bad ground I would say would be your first culprit. Putting on a grounding kit won't necessarily help because you may not have a new ground installed on where the problem lies.

I would say your best bet is to bite it and bring it in for diagnostics - then report your finding here and we can see if we can help you go from there with what they tell you.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 05-01-05, 01:00 AM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
Hey man,

It seems like you may have more than one issue here - but a bad ground I would say would be your first culprit. Putting on a grounding kit won't necessarily help because you may not have a new ground installed on where the problem lies.

I would say your best bet is to bite it and bring it in for diagnostics - then report your finding here and we can see if we can help you go from there with what they tell you.

Good luck,
Jonny
Aight thanx everybody for your suggestions and advice....I'm gonna bring it for a full diag (60 bucks ) but i'll do anything to save my baby. I just hope its not too late.