Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

look, flat torque curve on a 1JZ. What a coinsidence

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 12:04 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default look, flat torque curve on a 1JZ. What a coinsidence

For whoever was arguing that the 1jz's torque curve wasnt flat/better than the 2jz here is some proof. Thank you

Old 04-15-05, 12:31 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by got_trd
For whoever was arguing that the 1jz's torque curve wasnt flat/better than the 2jz here is some proof. Thank you

nice curve. That A/F looks great too. Looks like the tuners really did the job well
any idea what they used to tune the car?
Old 04-15-05, 12:57 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Yes that is a nice looking dyno graph... Sorry I am too lazy to look for a converter...what is 304KW in HP?
Old 04-15-05, 03:51 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

# 1.5jz (2jzgte block with 1jzgte head now 3ltr)
# TO4R Turbo with reduced housings for fast spool up
hotside is T4, cold side is a 79mm wheel
# Malpassi Fuel Pressure regulator
# Bosche 750hp in tank fuel pump with 2 bosche externals feeding a 3litre/.8gallon fuel surge tank into a twin fed modified factory fuel rail
# SAFC2
# 550cc injectors
# Nitto 45mm external wastegate venting to atmosphere
# Custom exhaust manifold
# 650x290x79/25x11x3 intercooler
# 2 1/2in intercooler hardpipes
# 4" mandrel bend exhaust to frontpipe then 3 1/2" straight through
# Gizzmo Fuel Cut Defencer
# HKS Speed Cut Defencer
# HKS SSQ BOV
# Blitz Dual Stage EBC

The dyno sheet was with the 1jz bottom end
Old 04-15-05, 10:27 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

its about ~405hp i think
Thats an off the top of my head calculator but it works out to something like kWx1.3_____

safcII gets the from me.
Old 04-15-05, 10:38 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

# 1.5jz (2jzgte block with 1jzgte head now 3ltr)
# TO4R Turbo with reduced housings for fast spool up
# Malpassi Fuel Pressure regulator
# Bosche 750hp in tank fuel pump with 2 bosche externals feeding a 3litre/.8gallon fuel surge tank into a twin fed modified factory fuel rail
# SAFC2
# 550cc injectors
# Nitto 45mm external wastegate venting to atmosphere
# Custom exhaust manifold
# 650x290x79/25x11x3 intercooler
# 2 1/2in intercooler hardpipes
# 4" mandrel bend exhaust to frontpipe then 3 1/2" straight through
# Gizzmo Fuel Cut Defencer
# HKS Speed Cut Defencer
# HKS SSQ BOV
# Blitz Dual Stage EBC

The dyno sheet was with the 1jz bottom end
Now I have a list to go off of
Old 04-15-05, 11:03 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Ok... I know the intent of this post was to prove me wrong..... BUT first off, maybe you should look at all the factors of the graph a little closer. Can you say...... Boost creep? And just an FYI, boost creep = flat tq curve. To that I say..... Thank You and have a nice day.

Originally Posted by mteele
Now I have a list to go off of
I don' think you want to go off that list... the power is not that great for that amount of boost. It's ~ 407.670715 rwhp and for 19 psi on a 67mm turbo (T04R), it's pretty crappy. No offense to the owner of the car but I made more than that on my boost creeping 12-15 psi 2.4L DSM(and I am not trying to brag, just putting a fact out there).

#TO4R Turbo with reduced housings for fast spool up
You sure it's not a 79mm inducer exhaust wheel/hot side?... because that's the only thing that would make sense on a T04R and in that case, it'd be on the Q trim turbine wheel unless they have some special exducer combined with the 79mm inducer to make it some other wheel. The compressor side-exducer on a T04R is 84mm and the compressor side-inducer is a 67mm so if it does in fact have a 79mm size on one part of the compressor wheel, it's probably not a T04R.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 04-16-05 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-16-05, 01:44 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

......your SC's suspension is still messed up!!!

All I could think of as a comeback at 5am lol
Old 04-16-05, 02:34 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by guessd
Ok... I know the intent of this post was to prove me wrong..... BUT first off, maybe you should look at all the factors of the graph a little closer. Can you say...... Boost creep? And just an FYI, boost creep = flat tq curve. To that I say..... Thank You and have a nice day.
thats not true and you know it
stock 1jzs have a pretty flat torque curve...
torque curve isnt just boost creep (although the gimpy DSM setups can be generalized as such since the owners don't run external wastegate setups on the "big" turbos that they run)

torque flat-ness has a lot to do with tuning and motor design... since the DSM motors you "humbly" refer to don't make any power until 5k rpms... well then YES that is a much flatter torque curve than your typical 400whp DSM... and you can attempt to argue that fact all you want, but you'd be wrong...
I have NEVER seen a 400whp DSM with that kind of curve(its a damn plateau!)... (i know you think its boost creep, but this guy is running an external and doesnt have to worry about it)

defintely not a T04R making that little bit of power... unless its not running **** for boost
T04S as the compressor housing and maybe a regular 57-60mm wheel underneath? yeah I would believe that
Old 04-16-05, 07:45 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
I have NEVER seen a 400whp DSM with that kind of curve(its a damn plateau!)... (i know you think its boost creep, but this guy is running an external and doesnt have to worry about it)
I have. But it's only when they creep or have great cams/ported head to keep the power going as the tq flattens.

I don't think it's boost creep on this dyno sheet, it is. If you look at the chart, you can see the boost creep as the speed is accelerating. I don't know why it would creep with a 45mm external, but who knows.

Originally Posted by Bean
(although the gimpy DSM setups can be generalized as such since the owners don't run external wastegate setups on the "big" turbos that they run).....torque flat-ness has a lot to do with tuning and motor design... since the DSM motors you "humbly" refer to don't make any power until 5k rpms... well then YES that is a much flatter torque curve than your typical 400whp DSM... and you can attempt to argue that fact all you want, but you'd be wrong...
I understand that flat-ness does have a lot to do with motor design and tuning, but I still haven't seen anything from a 1JZ to be impressed with as a reasoning to downgrade in displacement over our originally equipped 3.0L 2jz's. That's just the point I was trying to make last time that started it all. That's why last time I brought up the Honda VTEC motors and how their powerbands normally look like. The VTEC heads and cams keep the power climbing and the tq stays nice and flat (the little that they make) . If the 1jz magically had this VTEC power curve, I would be all over it, but I still don't see it. All I see is creep in this dyno sheet.

As for a DSM not making power 'til 5k rpms, it's all about turbo sizing as I know you already know Bean. Many 400 whp DSMs make plenty of power before 5k rpm. I could post my boost creeping 12-15 psi dyno sheet and claim how great my 2.4L DSM motor was at keeping tq steady and was still making more power, but we already know it's just creep causing the curve, so it wouldn't matter.

I don' t know if you were referring to me when speaking about wastegates, but I wasn' t running an internal gate on my 67mm. It was a Innovative 42mm Progate with a 1 bar spring turned out all the way with the top nut taken out to try and run as low of boost as possible (because that's where we started tuning) and had the timing map a little retarded which led for it to creep.

Originally Posted by mteele
......your SC's suspension is still messed up!!!

All I could think of as a comeback at 5am lol
Haha, it's not jacked up anymore.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 04-16-05 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-16-05, 09:18 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by guessd

A flat torque curve is a flat torque curve is a flat torque curve...

Boost creep= flat torque curve???

So how come every wants to avoid boost creep? Because they dont like torque? wtf?

DSM's are nothing like Toyota's....

Call finishline motorsports and ask them what their 1JZ is putting out, and what the highest HP is that they have seen on a 1JZ.. Here is a hint: Over 1000rwhp, close to 1,500rwhp.. stock bottom end

BTW, that dyno sheet was with 440cc injectors... and 304kW= 413whp

Last edited by got_trd; 04-16-05 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-16-05, 09:58 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

A flat torque curve is a flat torque curve is a flat torque curve...

Boost creep= flat torque curve???

BTW, that dyno sheet was with 440cc injectors... and 304kW= 413whp
Yes, boost creep = flat torque curve.
Wow... such a great tq curve these G4CS 2.4L dsm motors make .

Sorry, I'm not trying to compare the motors or be an a$s, but I'm trying to make a point which you don't seem to understand.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 04-16-05 at 10:15 AM.