Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Fueling

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 03:23 PM
Notorious
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ Fueling

OK, so I've got a 1JZ in my SC300. I'm running a walbro fuel pump and the stock twins for now. I have the 1JZ injectors, no fuel computer, and HKS EVC5 set to 12psi.

I have a set of USDM Supra 550cc injectors with the appropriate resistor block, waiting for installation. All questions assume I will be running pump gas: 93 octane.

Question 1:
Can I just install the impedance matched (resistor pack installed) 550cc injectors? Or will this lead to me running extremely rich? Do I need to install a fuel computer (SAFC-2, for example) when I do this? I assume I will need a Air/Fuel Meter to tune my fuel computer... is this true?

Question 2:
Assuming I have all of the supporting mods (good sized FMIC, intake, exhaust), what boost level can I now run with my stock twins? I'd like them to last a while... I've heard they can run 14-15 psi for a while... does anyone have real data?

Question 3:
There is a current thread about 1JZ turbos, but few solid answers in it. What would be the ideal turbo replacement for the stock twins, to best utilize all of my aforementioned upgrades and make maximum useable power with minimal lag?

Recommendations for specific components and places to get them are appreciated. I've got some ideas, but I value all of your opinions.
Thanks for the info,

Marcus
Old 09-23-06, 01:29 PM
1JZ LOL
Driver School Candidate

550's will overfuel your stock twins. I have 550's on my 1jz with a GT40 turbo. Stock fuel and injectors work fine on stock twins. I was running 20psi on stock twins, stock fuel, 93 octane, for 6 months. Put down around 330whp thru the automatic on an otherwise stock engine.

As far as replacement turbos go.. same as 2jzgte. A 60-1 is a good street turbo if you want 400s on pump on 550's and an SAFC2.
Old 09-25-06, 03:56 PM
Notorious
Rookie

Thanks for the info, 1JZ LOL.

Do you know if the supra stock twins will work on a 1JZ?
I can get a pair of extremely low mileage USDM supra twins for free and my 1JZ twins are burning a bit of oil right now. Can I just hook up the supra twins to my 1JZ exhaust manifold? Can I hook up the 2JZGTE's exhaust manifold to the 1JZ?

OK... I was under the impression that I was fuel limited for more power from my 1JZ. I experience some stumbling under heavy acceleration some times, and I"m only running 12psi. Any ideas?

Yeah, I'd love to be around 450 rwhp when all is said and done. I am pretty much resigned to needing SAFC and A/F meter to run my 550's. What I was hoping is that I'd be able to get the 2JZGTE twins to work (I hear they top out at 480ish) so I don't have to pay for a new single and exhaust manifold. Does the 60-1 turbo spool quickly? I don't want to pay with lag for my hp, if I can avoid it.

Thanks again for the reply. My threads never seem to get much love.

Marcus
Old 09-26-06, 06:14 PM
1JZ LOL
Driver School Candidate

1. 2JZGTE Manifolds and turbos do not fit.

2. Use 6097 plugs at .028 gap.

3. Its going to spool similar to a 2jzgte
Old 09-27-06, 12:31 PM
Notorious
Rookie

Thanks again... you seem to be the only one willing to help, and I appreciate it dearly.

I'll put some new plugs (NGK 6097) in her and see how we do.
If the stumbling under heavy throttle goes away, I'll be turning up the boost... I'm running 12-13psi right now... seems like I've got a ways to go, from your experience.

Thanks again,

Marcus