Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz single on stock fuel? Target boost?

Old 11-06-13, 06:35 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1jz single on stock fuel? Target boost?

I really did search. :P I figured this would have been covered ad nauseam, but I found little to nothing.

Anywho, I am working on a single upgrade on my 1jz and the money has dried out for now, so fuel is not an immediate option. I do have an uprated fuel pump, so I should be able to support at least stock twin bpu numbers.

The question is, how will the car behave if I target 10 psi? I know 10psi from an 83-75 != 10 psi from CT12As, but in reality, will it be enough of a difference to cause issues? My gut feeling is that I should be fine at that boost level, but if anyone has actually done this and wants to chime in, I would appreciate it.

Single conversion consists of:

cxracing twin scroll manifold
83-75 s300sx 60mm with .91 AR twin scroll hot side
TR8 FMIC rated at ~500hp
knockoff TIAL 50mm BOV

School me my budget-conscious 1jz peeps!
Old 11-06-13, 07:09 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why'd you go so big on the exh housing? Planning for e85 later? Gfs holset is around 60mm, ran 13psi no problem. 10 will be absolutely fine. If you don't have a wideband, I'd leave it there. Assuming what you're really missing is an safc? Because 440s go for super cheap, but no fuel controller for them sucks. Fwiw I spent right at $100 for both a set of 440s and an hks safr.
Old 11-06-13, 07:44 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took a WAG on the housing and quicksc4 (Omar) recommended it. From what I read, it should spool as fast as or slightly faster than the open .88 AR without choking it up top. Also, to go any smaller than the .88, I would have to drop to a T3 flange, which I did not want to do. Not many housing options for an 83-75, but we will see how this thing behaves

I have been looking for some 440s, but they seem to have dried up here lately. I would also have to source some sort of piggyback I guess. What I would rather do is wait and do some 650s and a standalone.

I'm ultimately looking for AROUND 500hp, as that will max my FMIC, and hopefully keep my clutch happy.

Thanks for the advice, at any rate I think I will put a light spring in and use a boost controller to creep up until I find my fueling limits.