Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much for PS / alt. fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 08:10 AM
GliTCH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy How much for PS / alt. fix?

Just picked up a '93 SC400. The seller told me that he replaced the battery and then the alternator. This was before I found out why the alternator might have failed, so about a day after I got back with it the lights started dimming and such. I just took my car to a mechanic and told him what I think was wrong (the PS pump leaking onto the alternator). He charges about 50 an hour so how much should I expect to pay to get all of this fixed? I think the alternator is still under warranty so I can take that back and switch it for a new one. So all he really needs to do is rebuild the power steering pump and switch out the alternator. Around how much did some of you fork out for this problem?
Old 04-02-05, 08:22 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you replace the P/S pump, find out just what is leaking. I have A '92 SC and there is a p/s leak also. My mechanic and I are getting ready to look at it this morning. He thinks that it is a pressure hose. If so, he says that we are Not going to replace it! (Too expensive). He says that he knows a place near my home that will repair them at a good price.
CompuMan
Old 04-02-05, 11:06 AM
GliTCH
Rookie

Thanks for the heads up. I'm getting in touch with the guy later today so we'll find out what's going on for sure
Old 04-03-05, 01:21 PM
GliTCH
Rookie

Well, met up with the mechanic yesterday. He said I even had a more pressing issue to worry about; apparently the ball joint on the left lower control arm is about to snap. It is really worn out and makes an obnoxious snapping sound when the car starts to move. He said the ball joint cannot be replaced without replacing the entire control arm. I figure it's better to replace both at the same time, so I just picked up a couple of those off eBay.

As for the leaks and alternator, he said once we got that fixed he would wash the entire car from the bottom and then we can tell exactly what's leaking. I figure after spending almost 800 bucks to get the control arms replaced, spending an extra 300 on the PS and alternator is no biggie.

I'm really looking forward to not spending any more money on the car for a while after I get all of this fixed. Is there anything else anyone can recommend I do so I don't have to worry about the car for a while? It has about 178,000 miles on it and the timing belt was recently replaced. I don't think any of the pulleys or bearings were changed out with the timing belt however.
Old 04-03-05, 01:43 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense, but your mechanic doesnt sound too good. You can ALWAYS replace just the ball joints, but hell if you have the money, might as well do the whole thing. And as for not wanting to spend anymore money, guess what, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I did all the maintenance I could possibly do on my car, and then bam my alternator just went out (13 years will do that) and as did my O2 sensors and my passenger side window regulator. I already fixed the alternator and the regulator, and the O2 sensors are in the mail, so Im hoping after that, Ill be able to go for a while without having to fix anything. But you know what, ***** happens. My advice: 1.) keep some money set aside for future repairs, and 2.) learn to work on your car. I would not be able to afford this car if I didnt know how to work on it
Old 04-03-05, 09:42 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in a huge bind and had the a dealership replace my alternator, high pressure hose, power steering pump and battery- totalled at $3000... Lets just say that I was late for a plane and had the car die- only place I knew to have it towed to was a dealership, so I said screw it and had the work done.

Atleast I now know that all the parts are new...
Old 04-04-05, 08:12 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that Aerostar- I had never even changed the oil on any car a year ago, But now i do all my basic maintanance, and put in a new radiator 2 weeks ago by myself(actually it felt good once i was done) And am about to do my spark plugs and wires this week . And without question i cant afford this car otherwise,im a dog groomer wich isnt a lucrative profession.But it s all good to me its worth it to roll like this ....Oh and the ladies dig it too
Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
No offense, but your mechanic doesnt sound too good. You can ALWAYS replace just the ball joints, but hell if you have the money, might as well do the whole thing. And as for not wanting to spend anymore money, guess what, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I did all the maintenance I could possibly do on my car, and then bam my alternator just went out (13 years will do that) and as did my O2 sensors and my passenger side window regulator. I already fixed the alternator and the regulator, and the O2 sensors are in the mail, so Im hoping after that, Ill be able to go for a while without having to fix anything. But you know what, ***** happens. My advice: 1.) keep some money set aside for future repairs, and 2.) learn to work on your car. I would not be able to afford this car if I didnt know how to work on it
Old 04-04-05, 10:16 PM
GliTCH
Rookie

Oh I know.. I am lovin this car man, it beats spending money on a beater that you don't wanna ride around.