LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I'm in a Tough Situation (power steering and alternator woes)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 10:47 AM
ravig292
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in a Tough Situation (power steering and alternator woes)

Hey everyone, my Ls broke down on me and I got it diagnosed. Turns out because of my neglicence to fix the P/S leak. The alternator is shot. Turns out that the leak was coming from multiple places. The p/s pump, Pressure hose and pinion. Estimated repair would be about 3 to 4k. I do not want to get rid of the car but, I also do not want to keep throwing money into it because eventually in a couple months something else will break and I would have to fix that. I really want to keep this becaue it is the best car I have ever drove. What do you guys think I should do? Fix it or get rid of it?
Old 12-10-12, 10:51 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you cant afford the repairs get rid of it and find another one in better condition.
Old 12-10-12, 11:04 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

3-4K to fix a PS pump, lines and replace the alternator?

seems a bit high unless there is a lot of other collateral damage!
Old 12-10-12, 11:04 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep it and put 3.5k into it, or sell it and buy a Ford Focus.
Old 12-10-12, 11:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

in parts for an alternator, high pressure line, and PS pump you're looking at a bare price of LESS than $750 for refurb'd parts with warranty. (can do cheaper if you look around).

the labor to install them shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars, especially if done together.

frankly your shop is ripping you off, and you need to find a reputable independent (perhaps using the regional lexus forums on the bottom of the forum index?)
Old 12-10-12, 12:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you can go to Advance auto parts and get a lifetime waranty alternator for $144 + tax

it is a very good alternator, and this will buy you some time to figure out where to get a good deal on the replacement PS parts that are leaking, once you have determined where the leak is

the new alternator will buy you at least 6 months or a year to do your PS research, and the repair is pretty easy

the Lexus LS400 is going to be more reliable than anything else you could buy of the same age, overall

once you have the alternator installed, you will still have a PS leak, but the car will drive fine, just don't forget to add fluid every week
Old 12-10-12, 02:02 PM
door331
Rookie

If you decide to do cowboy's route and replace the Alternator before fixing the power steering issues you may want to try makeing a shield/cover to prevent the PS fluid from messing up the new Alternator

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ld/#entry30429
Old 12-13-12, 08:19 AM
silverzzr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
you can go to Advance auto parts and get a lifetime waranty alternator for $144 + tax

it is a very good alternator, and this will buy you some time to figure out where to get a good deal on the replacement PS parts that are leaking, once you have determined where the leak is

the new alternator will buy you at least 6 months or a year to do your PS research, and the repair is pretty easy

the Lexus LS400 is going to be more reliable than anything else you could buy of the same age, overall

once you have the alternator installed, you will still have a PS leak, but the car will drive fine, just don't forget to add fluid every week
^ This! I was aware I had a p/s leak but it was minimal and it did not leak onto the ground but enough that it eventually affected my alternator. I'm only applying the band-aid at this time (replaced the alternator, purchased from Advance) because I know I'm going to be replacing the whole rack soon and that is not cheap.