Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Mid pipe. question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 12:18 AM
japSW20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile SC400 Mid pipe. question

Hey,The other day I banged my mid pipe in a ditch and thought up of an idea.Im not a real fan of loud exhaust so my plan was to unbolt the midpipe,and make a custom one,making it true dual exhaust but connectiing it to the stock mufflers flange.Any one know if this would benefit performance wise?or if a H or X design would be better and how will it sound?
also whats the largest diameter you could go with using the stock flanges
thanks for your help and merry christams
Old 12-25-04, 07:56 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by japSW20
Hey,The other day I banged my mid pipe in a ditch and thought up of an idea.Im not a real fan of loud exhaust so my plan was to unbolt the midpipe,and make a custom one,making it true dual exhaust but connectiing it to the stock mufflers flange.Any one know if this would benefit performance wise?or if a H or X design would be better and how will it sound?
also whats the largest diameter you could go with using the stock flanges
thanks for your help and merry christams
From what I know the X pipe is the best set up. True duals aren't as efficient as I've been told. If anything you should fabricate an X pipe that's wider. Use the search button, there's been lots of post on exhausts.
Old 12-27-04, 08:10 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure the X is better, but I managed to get a very short H made and it only cost $60, made for a decent increase in performance, sounds a bit like a Mustang now, but still pretty tame.
Old 12-27-04, 12:31 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Merging both sides together in a good X pipe will increase low end torque over separate dual pipes. Pipe size is also important and 2.25" will give as much peak power as a 2.50" and the smaller 2.25" will give more low end torque so that the 2.25" pipe is the better choice size wise. For a decent X pipe at a great price go here: ($25 mild steel, $35 stainless) http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/humaxpiass.html

I would also remove the center mufflers/silencers and connect to the stock final mufflers. This should not be very loud. You can add additional straight through mufflers/resonators after the X pipe for lower noise and I would recommend perforated pipe inside rather than louvers.

Power depends on many things and you are looking at ZERO to 20hp gain so a 10hp gain is reasonable.
Old 12-27-04, 12:54 PM
japSW20
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info,lots of help and im going to do the 2.5" x pipe from the cats to the factory mufflers,while im at it im going to gut the cats.again thanks!
Old 12-27-04, 01:16 PM
japSW20
Driver School Candidate

heres a quick sketch i made of the design i wanna do,If anyone sees anything wrong please let me know before i start building it,all the turns will be mandrel bent also,Im still considering if I should empty the cats or not,and if so is it possible to do with out removing them?like from the bottom?
Old 01-06-05, 07:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by japSW20
thanks for the info,lots of help and im going to do the 2.5" x pipe from the cats to the factory mufflers,while im at it im going to gut the cats.again thanks!
Use a 2.25" X pipe. Do not gut the cats.