NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Not liking my NX

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 10:41 AM
Boomer80
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not liking my NX

I've now had my 2016 NX for about 4 months and I can't wait to get rid of it. I have found too many things that I just don't like and some are my fault and some aren't. I got the NX because I was looking for an SUV that was going to give me better mpg than my old SUV and the NX seemed to hit the mark when I was looking and test driving. First the plus. Yes it is getting better mpg than my old one but I visit the gas pumps just as much due to what I consider a too small tank.
I liked the test drives when I was looking at my replacement, but now after having it as a DD for 4 months, I am tired of smashing my head on the door opening frame entering and exiting the vehicle. I now have to consciously remind myself to think about how I will get in and out. I guess this vehicle should not be considered by 6'1" men. In the same vain, I just took my first small road trip yesterday and my back is killing me today as it was for most of the trip. This is just a horribly uncomfortable ride IMHO! No amount of adjustments ever seemed to help.
Finally the entertainment system is frustrating. There are way too many menus for my liking and I am really frustrated by the Bluetooth connectivity. I primarily listen to Pandora through my iPhone while driving and at least 50% of the time I have to turn the radio off once or twice upon entering to get it to start playing. It shows it is connected with the track and artist, but no sound. I know I could take it to Lexus to have them charge me some stupid price to fix, but at this point I just don't care as I'll be getting rid of the car as soon as I locate a new vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
olgzr (06-14-19)
Old 06-12-19, 12:50 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

Do you have the seat retraction thing turned on to make for easier entry/exit? It's somewhere in the vehicle settings. As for seating position, most people do it wrong...sit more upright.

I also do find that the bluetooth pairing is flakey, but as far as I know, there isn't a software update for it.
Old 06-12-19, 12:56 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a 2019 so not exactly the same. Is this an F-Sport model and which vehicle did you have before?

I’m 6’ and don’t have an issue hitting my head. I assume you’ve tried many different seat adjustments? Lowering the seat and setting it to slide back when you turn off the vehicle?

I can’t help you with the Bluetooth as I assume they’ve updated it since 2016. Have you tried USB instead?

These days most vehicles have many different menus and settings for infotainment. It’s just something you’ll need to get used to. After messing around with my initial setup I don’t really delve into the menus/settings anymore. I basically just change audio sources.
Old 06-12-19, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Unfortunately 2015-2017 is lacking a lot. 2018 fixed many problems like suspension, infotainment, and feature content. Expect the second generation to be far more refined than the first generation.

btw love your GSD avatar. I have two myself
Old 06-12-19, 03:42 PM
Boomer80
Driver School Candidate

My previous car was an Infiniti FX and I never had a problem with entry/exit or comfort. I have the seat memory set for easy entry and exit so nothing else can fix that. I think part of the comfort issue is with the headrest. I can’t stand how it forces my head forward and I should not have to change my seat position (more reclined) in order for that to not be a problem. I like and prefer the seat position I use and changing it would only cause more complaints. As for the seats, well I will give Lexus props for the material. It is certainly the most buttery soft material I’ve ever had.
One of my bigger gripes with this car is the clock. This analog clock has to be the worst design I’ve ever seen. Trying to accurately read the time is frustrating and takes my eyes off the road for far too long. How do you design a clock that is so damn hard to differentiate the minute and hour hand. My FX had both analog and digital and the analog was way easier to read than this one. I’m sure the digital omission is going to be argued as “what you should expect in a near luxury brand or some such nonsense”, but I want to be able to determine time quickly and this Lexus solution is horrible. Also why should I have to Macgyver some accessory clock which should/could easily at least be part of the display........somewhere!

Last edited by Boomer80; 06-12-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

2018+ has digital time displayed in the MID near the speedo/tach
Old 06-12-19, 04:02 PM
Boomer80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Unfortunately 2015-2017 is lacking a lot. 2018 fixed many problems like suspension, infotainment, and feature content. Expect the second generation to be far more refined than the first generation.

btw love your GSD avatar. I have two myself
Thanks Hoovey! I’m sure the 2nd gen is better, but I found out the hard way, I really need a bigger vehicle, and ease of entry and exit was my #1 priority. I’m still depressed my sports car days are over. My old body can’t get in and out of them anymore. I’ve owned everything since college from Triumph, Z-cars, Porsche, Mazda RX1 and Miata and multiple Corvettes. Before I bought the NX I was on the fence between the NX, an RX350 (found it way to boring, numb driving) and a Porsche Cayenne. So I guess it will be the Cayenne after all, but finding the right one is harder than finding a Lexus, but I’ve got time.

Yes GSD’s are without equal. My avatar is typical of what I came home from work to every day. The expression and excitement was like she was saying “I’m so glad you’re home, don’t ever leave me again”
Old 06-12-19, 05:58 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

I believe the headrest can be adjusted by pulling or pushing on it. It will click each time you pull/push. This may not apply to the 2016, check your manual. You could even take it out and reverse it.
Old 06-13-19, 04:30 AM
NSXT
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ross7777
I believe the headrest can be adjusted by pulling or pushing on it. It will click each time you pull/push. This may not apply to the 2016, check your manual. You could even take it out and reverse it.
I have a 2016 NX FSport and the headrest can be adjusted by pulling or pushing on it with clicks.
Old 06-13-19, 04:33 AM
Boomer80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NSXT
I have a 2016 NX FSport and the headrest can be adjusted by pulling or pushing on it with clicks.
I know it can go up and down, but can it really move forward and back?
Old 06-13-19, 04:36 AM
NSXT
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
I know it can go up and down, but can it really move forward and back?
Yes it can. You probably need to pull it forward a bit and it will release a click to push back. Check the manual. When I got it new, I had the same issue as you and one day by chance found a click and since never touched it again. ie: happy spot
Old 06-13-19, 07:31 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NSXT
Yes it can. You probably need to pull it forward a bit and it will release a click to push back. Check the manual. When I got it new, I had the same issue as you and one day by chance found a click and since never touched it again. ie: happy spot
Yes if it’s an FSport it can be adjusted. It’s not obvious and it can take a good deal of effort to adjust it. But it makes a big difference as prior to the adjustment it felt like it was pushing my head forward.
Old 06-14-19, 11:15 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

High Five, boomer. NX was second shortest lived car I ever bought. Though I didn't really have issues getting in and out being taller than you. But otherwise - meh, RAV4 legacy is all over it. Totally love my current ride, not evewn pissed off with over an hour commute one way anymore. Just chilling inside of it.
Old 06-14-19, 11:47 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
High Five, boomer. NX was second shortest lived car I ever bought. Though I didn't really have issues getting in and out being taller than you. But otherwise - meh, RAV4 legacy is all over it. Totally love my current ride, not evewn pissed off with over an hour commute one way anymore. Just chilling inside of it.
And your current ride is what?
Old 06-14-19, 12:35 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
I think part of the comfort issue is with the headrest. I can’t stand how it forces my head forward and I should not have to change my seat position (more reclined) in order for that to not be a problem. I like and prefer the seat position I use and changing it would only cause more complaints.
I had a loaner NX and I noticed the same thing. Adjusting it to the furthest position helped a bit but not much. I've noticed this issue in most newer cars. I guess they are like this for safety reasons with rear end collisions.