NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Apparently the NX I want is going to be considered a custom build

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 10:41 AM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apparently the NX I want is going to be considered a custom build

So what am I in for exactly? The salesman at the dealer told me because of the specific stuff I want this would be considered a custom build. Ok, it's no problem to me because I do want a specific build but he did seem concerned about placing such an order. I'm guessing they've gotten burned in the past, but I also understand that they want to move existing inventory. He stated that the process is that first they would submit my order for consideration, Lexus in Japan would send an answer back in a few days with a yes/no answer on if they would build it how I wanted. If yes, I put in a deposit and wait about 3 months.

Is this about par for what I should expect? My specific build does not include a moonroof and adds the power rear seats. That's really the only major stuff I can think of. I can list out the specific build if anyone is interested. I'm also guessing I can forget about trying to talk them down on the price just a bit.
Old 12-01-18, 06:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Never heard of the initial request to Japan if "it's ok" to proceed with the order. Lexus USA should have available in their system what is possible to order in the first place so if you have that possibility, it should go through without surprise. That aside, yes, it is about a 3 month wait and certainly they'd encourage you more towards the purchase of existing inventory than a new order.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-18, 07:59 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes it is about selling existing inventory but having purchased several Lexus models over the years the story is as follows (my understanding).

First, dealers in different parts of the country will order certain packages and options based on climate. Second, each dealer will select what THEY consider to be the most popular options and colors for each model. Most people will be satisfied with the options and colors that the dealer has selected that are either in inventory or are on order and already inbound to their dealership. For those who don't find what they want the dealer will/should look at other dealers within a certain radius to see if they have the model with the options you want. Then the dealer who has the exact or close to exact options you want will/may want to trade vehicles with your dealer. In some case if the particular vehicle you want is in high demand they may not want to give up that vehicle. That probably won't be the case with the NX but certain "F" series vehicles are hard to find exactly the way you want.

In the end IF you are willing to wait the dealer will order it for you from the factory but the wait time will be significant. Otherwise find another dealer.
Old 12-02-18, 02:45 AM
catchtanya
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned approx 36 cars to date. The NX is by far my favorite car and I have now had it for 3 years. The longest of any car I have ever owned. With that being said, my one regret is I didnt order it exactly the way I wanted. I had to have adaptive cruise, as well as the heated steering. I wish I would have ordered it in the color (both exterior and interior) I wanted as well as the upgraded audio. Both of which were not combined into any package that I could find within the US! I settled on white- with the two toned interior and will upgrade audio after market at some point... maybe.

Order the one you want and wait the three months.

Tanya
Old 12-02-18, 05:05 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

My mother just purchased a new NX300 and wanted the Nebula Gray/Parchment interior, but this color scheme was not in the dealers' inventory. They tried to find one to trade for from another dealer but in the mean time, they offered her enough discounts off one in their own inventory to change her mind. Exterior color was not a primary condition to her, the interior color was more important to her. She decided that the Nebula Gray was that not important for the amount of discounts she received even tho she ended up with a exterior color she had originally stated she did not want (white). Both vehicles were equipped almost identical. She ended up with Eminent Pearl/Parchment color scheme and is happy with her choice. It drives great, and she can enter/exit the vehicle much more easily which was the primary goal in getting a new vehicle for her.
Old 12-03-18, 05:52 AM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it be out of line for me to ask them for a price which is a few percent lower than the MSRP off the website? I got the impression that due to it being a custom order that that likely wouldn't be happening.
Old 01-02-19, 12:40 PM
MissEllie
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NXNoob
Would it be out of line for me to ask them for a price which is a few percent lower than the MSRP off the website? I got the impression that due to it being a custom order that that likely wouldn't be happening.
I haggled over the price of my RX when I ordered it many years ago. It did take 3 months to receive it and they installed the incorrect sound system. They found the NX I wanted and it was shipped from another state.
Old 01-27-19, 08:27 PM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So is it perfectly acceptable to negotiate a custom ordered NX like you would one they have on the lot? For me the issue is no one having the color combination I want (UBM/circuit red) in the F Sport model. When they looked over a week ago there was ONE in the United States and it was in California (I am in Georgia). So ordering would make the most sense. I just want to make sure I can get the same deal.
Old 01-28-19, 02:45 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Dealer should be willing to wait for its profit if you are willing to wait for your car.
"Floor Plan" is the interest they are paying for the 25 NX's in stock that you are walking
past without buying but somebody will buy them eventually. CorradoMR2 is correct,
the dealer has a compatible option chart that will let you work out what you want and
do not want. I took a quick look and can tell you that the Power Folding Rear Seats "FS"
option Conflicts with the Comfort Package "CP" as well as the Premium Package "PM"
and requires the Luxury Package "LL". LL includes all of PM and PM includes the Power
tilt and slide moonroof you mentioned Not wanting. Special Orders must follow these
Guide lines
Old 01-28-19, 05:06 PM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Dealer should be willing to wait for its profit if you are willing to wait for your car.
"Floor Plan" is the interest they are paying for the 25 NX's in stock that you are walking
past without buying but somebody will buy them eventually. CorradoMR2 is correct,
the dealer has a compatible option chart that will let you work out what you want and
do not want. I took a quick look and can tell you that the Power Folding Rear Seats "FS"
option Conflicts with the Comfort Package "CP" as well as the Premium Package "PM"
and requires the Luxury Package "LL". LL includes all of PM and PM includes the Power
tilt and slide moonroof you mentioned Not wanting. Special Orders must follow these
Guide lines
That makes sense. However when I spoke to someone a while back they made it seem like the reason they wouldnt negotiate much, if at all, is because they wouldnt know what incentives or offers would be available when I actually picked up the car. So if you are negotiating with a dealer that currently has more incentives or kickbacks they are probably more willing to give you a better deal then if you order a car at the same time but wont be getting it for 2-3 months. Sucks cause based on that it seems like a custom order wont get as good a deal as one off the lot but i guess thats the fee you pay for getting exactly what you want. Or am I completely missing it and if i have an order during X time period the incentives/offers on my vehicle will be based on when i placed the order and not delivery. It doesnt seem like that would be the case but I could be wrong.
Old 01-29-19, 09:23 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Unlike a mortgage rate that gets "locked" at the time you write it up the various Manufacturer incentive
programs are strictly tied to the delivery date. These amounts should not be considered negotiating
because they are not set by the Dealer. The sale price that you finalize with the Sales staff will carry
through to the final delivery + any and all current Manufacturer programs then in effect.

Think of Rebates as similar to Grocery Store coupons, they have a expiration date and while they reduce
the bottom line they do not reduce the taxable amount. I recall when Read-Write CD's would have a coupon
equal to the store price but you still had to pay the tax!