NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dent and Paint Damage on Rear Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 11:47 PM
lexinx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent and Paint Damage on Rear Door

Hi All, the underground parking in downtown is tight that I ended up scratching my right rear door against the concrete column. See the photos below.

Any idea on how much it might cost to repair it? I am located in Vancouver, Canada and is planning to get estimate from autobody shops Monday morning. Hopefully, it does not involve replacing the door for this size and complexity of damage!

Your response is much appreciated!!

Last edited by lexinx; 09-23-17 at 11:53 PM. Reason: More details
Old 09-24-17, 02:43 PM
lexinx
Driver School Candidate

Since there is no response, I will ask the following questions?

What kind of repair would be done to fix this?
What would be the cost to do something like this in the States?

Looking foward to hearing from you all.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-17, 05:05 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Looks like you hit the pole and kept going, which probably wasn't the best idea in minimizing damage. That might be quite an expensive repair...for sure the black trims need to be replaced due to severe gouges. It looks like the dents are on the crease and the edge, which may be difficult for bodyshops to straighten out...so they may suggest new panel. Not sure how deep the gouged are on the rear bumper, but some bodyshops may suggest replacement. When they paint, they will need to blend between multiple panels to match...more difficult if you have the pearl effect white.

If you take it to a reputable bodyshop, it'll probably be at least $1K. Just take it to a reputable shop for an estimate.
The following users liked this post:
lexinx (09-25-17)
Old 09-25-17, 03:28 PM
fixadent
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have good insurance, they will probably allow the repairer to replace both pieces of black trim, and re-skin the door. Don't know what the trims cost, but could easily be a few thousand all up. A dodgy repairer will just bog the door and ignore the trims but even this would cost several hundred.
The following users liked this post:
lexinx (09-25-17)
Old 09-25-17, 03:36 PM
lexinx
Driver School Candidate

Hi dchar and fixadent:

Thank you for your reply! I applied for insurance claim online. I visited one of the autobody shops. The estimated cost is $3,000 to do the following:
  1. Replace black trims
  2. Fix the metal sheet on rear right door
  3. Repaint the whole right side of the car (front door, rear door, quarter and rocker panel) using three stage colour

Total parts is about $700
Total labour is about $2,000 with 27.5 hours

I haven't decided anything yet as I am waiting for claim approval from insurance. Seems a bit excessive to me. Your thoughts?
Old 09-25-17, 06:37 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by lexinx
Hi dchar and fixadent:

Thank you for your reply! I applied for insurance claim online. I visited one of the autobody shops. The estimated cost is $3,000 to do the following:
  1. Replace black trims
  3. Repaint the whole right side of the car (front door, rear door, quarter and rocker panel) using three stage colour

I haven't decided anything yet as I am waiting for claim approval from insurance. Seems a bit excessive to me. Your thoughts?

Price sounds about right...good repairs aren't cheap. Hopefully you picked a reputable shop. Sometimes it's best to ask your dealer who they use. Whoever they use needs to be good when repairing new cars that are damaged upon delivery.
Old 09-25-17, 10:39 PM
fixadent
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexinx
Hi dchar and fixadent:

1. Replace black trims

Assuming our exchange rates are similar, that's pretty much exactly what I would expect the quote to be if it were here ( Australia ).