IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Put a gash in rear door. Any fix suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 06:13 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Put a gash in rear door. Any fix suggestions?

I stupidly knock my bike against the rear door. Put a 3 inch shallow gash in the door and did some damage to the ground effect. I've attached pictures. Can this be fixed without replacing the door or painting the whole thing? I tried using the Lexus scratch paint. It didn't work so well. Anybody know any good body repair guys in the Burbank area? .

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Put a gash in rear door. Any fix suggestions?-2-1-.jpg   Put a gash in rear door. Any fix suggestions?-2-2-.jpg   Put a gash in rear door. Any fix suggestions?-3.jpg  

Last edited by Glashub; 07-20-15 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 08:12 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it doesn't buff out, it'll need to be repainted.
Old 07-20-15, 09:27 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

^^^

Thanks. Any ideas on cost?
Old 07-21-15, 05:17 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,217 Likes on 964 Posts

Hard to tell the paint damage on the door because of the touch up paint but it's possible that Paintless Dent Repair ( PDR) could fix the door. the trim appears to be more of a paint issue. Dr. Colorchip kit from Amazon has helped a lot of people. There are several Youtube video demonstrations.
Old 07-21-15, 05:29 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you swfla.
Old 07-21-15, 05:39 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

The PDR guys tend to be real artists and will be honest with you about what they can and can't do. Dealerships use them on their cars a lot. Your door, if it can be done, would probably take less than an hour. I had a PDR guy tell me to meet him at the Cadillac dealer (near me ) while on his weekly route and that it would be much cheaper for me vs him going out of his way by coming to my home or place of business. $40 later I was done and couldn't tell there was ever a dent.
Old 07-21-15, 07:56 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks so much swfla. Found a place with 96 5 star reviews. Lesson learned about touch up paint. It can make things look worse.
Old 07-21-15, 08:57 AM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
I stupidly knock my bike against the rear door. Put a 3 inch shallow gash in the door and did some damage to the ground effect. I've attached pictures. Can this be fixed without replacing the door or painting the whole thing? I tried using the Lexus scratch paint. It didn't work so well. Anybody know any good body repair guys in the Burbank area? .

Thanks!
Honestly, that doesn't look that bad to me, touch up paint is only step one, i'd get some 300 grit sand paper and wet sand it down so that the paint is flush with the body and then buff it out with compound, scratch/swirl remover, polish, then wax.

I've done this before and its worked wonders. Just have to be smart about it and know what you're doing. I dont mean buffing the whole door either, just the areas effected enough to flush out the touchup you applied.

If that sounds like too much work then yea I guess taking it to a good detail/body guy can take care of it. I dont think something like that should warrant a whole door respray though.
Old 07-21-15, 12:37 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks 97AcuraCL (nice car). A PDR guy came out and said he could fix the dent no problem but he doesn't do paint. I went to a body shop and they quoted $868.00. They'd spray the whole door, replace the clear bra (at the rear corner of door) and take 3-4 days. Soooo. Then I'd have to rent a car for 3 days. Must be someone who can do a spot fix here in Burbank. I know one thing for sure -- I'd only make it worse if I tried to fix it.
Old 07-21-15, 12:41 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Thanks 97AcuraCL (nice car). A PDR guy came out and said he could fix the dent no problem but he doesn't do paint. I went to a body shop and they quoted $868.00. They'd spray the whole door, replace the clear bra (at the rear corner of door) and take 3-4 days. Soooo. Then I'd have to rent a car for 3 days. Must be someone who can do a spot fix here in Burbank. I know one thing for sure -- I'd only make it worse if I tried to fix it.
Hey yea, just goes to show how old my membership to ClubLexus is, that CL was my first car back in highschool.. ~13 years ago but thanks!

Yea I mean if you're not confident in your skills or want to tackle it yourself you'll have to find a spot guy. $868 for that little gash is crazy. Granted for what they're doing the price seems right, I just dont believe its worth it. Dont laugh, but have u checked craigslist for service providers?
Old 07-21-15, 12:54 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Did you take the time to look at any of the youtube videos about Dr Paintchip? I think a basic kit is about $40 from Amazon. After you see the videos you may be more confident about the paint touch up. Factory touch up paint is miserable to work with as is the auto parts kind. Dr Paintchip looks simple. I just don't want to see you short change yourself by not even looking...
Old 07-21-15, 01:02 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
Did you take the time to look at any of the youtube videos about Dr Paintchip? I think a basic kit is about $40 from Amazon. After you see the videos you may be more confident about the paint touch up. Factory touch up paint is miserable to work with as is the auto parts kind. Dr Paintchip looks simple. I just don't want to see you short change yourself by not even looking...
Dont know how I feel about Dr. Paint chip. But what I know, I know from youtube tutorials that I had good results with, so while I dont know about Dr. Paint Chip, I second swfla's youtube search recommendation.

Its really not rocket science, it just requires patience.
Old 07-21-15, 01:25 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Well, if I truly mess it up -- how bad can it be? I already know it'll cost 868 to fix it right? I'll take a look.
Old 07-21-15, 01:30 PM
starbai
Intermediate

^ Exactly, if u screw it up (go through the clear coat) then you've gotta pay that much to get it fixed anyway if they're gonan re-spray the entire door. You'll just be out the cost of your materials
Old 07-21-15, 02:21 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Good to hear you'll look. Just to be clear. If you like the DIY videos for DR Colorchip. First step, get PDR done, then you do the paint touchup. My guess on PDR is $100-150 plus $50 for the Dr. C from amazon. Even if you decide to go to a paint shop eventually, the cost of dent repair (already done) should be subtracted from the cost they quoted you. Best of luck.
BTW how much did PDR quote for the repair?