NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Do you feel any engine vibrations at low RPM with your NX 200t?
Yes. Often
20.93%
Yes. Sometimes
31.78%
No. Not at all
47.29%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

NX 200t Owner Survey - Engine Vibration Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 07:19 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration question

let me see if i can describe the issue. If i am at a light with the brake applied the car feels fine. as soon as i let my foot off the brake (not touching the accelerator yet) the car starts vibrating. If i reapply the brake it goes away. It doesnt matter if the road is flat, incline, decline. it also doesnt seem to matter what accessories are running. is this something others experience and/or is it something the dealer needs to figure out?

EDIT by moderator: Thread converted to a poll. See post below click here

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-18-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 01:05 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Do you have the auto hold feature turned on? Just wondering as that applies the brake for you until you hit the gas. I have used it, though not often, and I don't recall any vibrations, but it could still be an issue.

What do you have a 200t or a 300h?

phil
Old 11-18-15, 07:17 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

200t, and no, i do not use the auto hold
Old 11-18-15, 08:50 AM
baxgubperm
Driver School Candidate

Hi, guy! I have the same problem you described. It's so sad because I bought just two months ago. it's a new one… anybody who solves help please
Old 11-18-15, 09:49 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

i wouldnt fret about it, whatever, if anything, is wrong, we have a warranty and Lexus will take care of it
Old 11-18-15, 10:07 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love how quickly people are to say something is a "problem".

OP, the following questions:

1. Do you have AUTO on the climate control? If this is the case, I would think that you're feeling the compressor running all the time.
2. Are you running 91+? If you aren't, you could be feeling the engine running with a little bit of knock.

When you're saying "vibration", how much are we really talking? One you oddly feel in your foot, or something that makes your teeth move?

What RPM are you sitting at a stop? Does the RPM move at all once the car starts rolling? (i'm more concerned about it going downward)

Keep in mind, its an ICE, they have natural unbalance as well.

My car vibrates around a little after it spins down from an initial start, but that's the only time I can recall anything. I do also notice that the car likes to "surge" when its confused if wants to pull boost or downshift.
Old 11-18-15, 12:05 PM
dadofahusk
Rookie

see below reply in red
Originally Posted by Swacer
I love how quickly people are to say something is a "problem".

OP, the following questions:

1. Do you have AUTO on the climate control? If this is the case, I would think that you're feeling the compressor running all the time. But, I only feel it when i let off the brake. Why would that change anything if it was coming from the compressor. I am going to try again, but, i had previously tried it with the heating cooling system on and then off and no difference in the vibration.
2. Are you running 91+? If you aren't, you could be feeling the engine running with a little bit of knock. I am actually running 93

When you're saying "vibration", how much are we really talking? One you oddly feel in your foot, or something that makes your teeth move? Somewhere in the middle of your two examples. Its enough that I can feel it in the wheel and my seat

What RPM are you sitting at a stop? Does the RPM move at all once the car starts rolling? (i'm more concerned about it going downward) Will need to recheck RPMs. If anything, going by memory, when i release the brake and feel the vibration, I am recalling seeing the RPMs go up a little

Stay tuned for more info once i am back in the car and can specifically check the above. And, thanks.

Keep in mind, its an ICE, they have natural unbalance as well.

My car vibrates around a little after it spins down from an initial start, but that's the only time I can recall anything. I do also notice that the car likes to "surge" when its confused if wants to pull boost or downshift.
Old 11-18-15, 01:43 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

May I suggest that you go to an open parking lot, where it will be safe, and use your smartphone to video the tachometer and other settings as you are letting off the brake.

Last edited by NXOwner; 11-24-15 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-18-15, 05:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP. I know exactly what you're experiencing. It's happened to me from day 1 which I reported in a few threads over time in this forum. The vibration is uncharacteristic of Lexus, regardless of it being a 4 cyl since the CT I had was smooth at all RPMs. I'd say it's more noticeable with cooler temps these days vs over the summer.

Conditions when the vibration occurs:
- 700-800 rpms (all other RPMS smooth)
- If the HVAC is on, slightly more vibration is felt
- engine can be warm or cold
- it is lightly felt with the Brakes engaged with your foot or via the Hold function
- it is more felt as soon as you release the brake and let the car roll before hitting the gas
- it is also felt when coming to a stop getting to the 700-800 rpm range.
- vibration is felt slightly through the seat, more so if you place your hand on the center armrest

For a recent business trip, I had a Ford Fusion rental with the 2L Ecoboost 4 cyl (similar power/torque) and I was surprised at how smooth, vibrationless, and quiet it was especially at lower RPMs.

I have my 16k km maintenance appointment Friday. I will mention this to my SA.

@NX Owner, I'd do a video but there there is no perceptible rpm fluctuation that a video would capture, at least from my NX. RPM is very stable. My guess is an engine mount issue.
Old 11-18-15, 06:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default NX 200t Owner Survey - Engine Vibration Poll

So I thought I was the only one until more posts from owners have started to surface regarding an engine vibration that is felt in the front seat or center arm rest. I want to create visibility in what may be a possible common issue.Thread converted into a Poll. Please vote and post comments!

In short, the vibration is felt at low idle RPMs typically between 700-800 rpm while these factors may additionally exacerbate the issue further:

- Colder engine
- Colder air temp
- Brake held (foot or Hold function)
- Brake released and car rolls
- HVAC on

Assumption is 91 octane is used and not any lower grade of fuel to avoid any additional variable contributing to engine vibration/knocking issues.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-18-15 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-18-15, 07:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

This seems like an NVH and engine compartment isolation. Usually rectified by adding more insulation and sound seals in the vehicle. I could hypothesize this is as a result of a turbo 4, but its a hypothesis. I know that with the XC90 Drive E turbo 4, engineers had to really go hard with sound insulation to reduce the vibrations from the 4 banger.
Old 11-18-15, 09:28 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Shouldn't the question be "Do you feel any excessive engine vibrations at low RPM with your NX 200t?" My last car was an electric car and there was zero vibration. The NX is an ICE-based vehicle so there is always going to be some level of vibration. Technically, the results should reflect 100% "Yes. Often"
Old 11-19-15, 03:45 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not have this vibration and use the Hold function daily. It's one of my favorite features and have no problems.
Old 11-19-15, 04:54 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/2015-...portant-decade

This is an Atkinson cycled engine and WILL feel different.
Old 11-19-15, 05:12 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom59
http://www.torquenews.com/1083/2015-...portant-decade

This is an Atkinson cycled engine and WILL feel different.
Damn, I was literally about to mention this. lol The car is a DUAL cycle car (Otto and Atkinson). While Atkinson is a more efficient cycle, it is unbalanced and is only utilized when the car is NOT under load.

Quick Reply: NX 200t Owner Survey - Engine Vibration Poll