NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Off Road

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 01:07 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Off Road

Does anyone have any mods done to their NX for Off-Road? One of the reasons why I got the AWD model is because I wanted to eventually take my car out for some light-medium off-reading. Nothing crazy like Jeep people, but I live in Vegas and there are a lot of trails that most AWD and 4WD cars can handle stock. I'd like to make my NX a bit better than them!
Old 06-20-17, 05:50 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Easy...trade it in for a 4 runner.
Old 06-20-17, 06:01 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Easy...trade it in for a 4 runner.
Classic Internet wise guy. Um... no.
Old 06-20-17, 08:18 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Who takes a luxury SUV off road? Really? About the only thing you can do is swap out tires and enjoy the body damage.
Old 06-20-17, 08:51 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

There are some RAV4 lift kits out there that may fit the NX. I've contacted the manufacturer, sent them pics, and they said that it has the same suspension points as their kit. I am still a bit skeptical about it, since 1) no one has done on an NX before, and 2) no measurements were given to the manufacturer and they based their fitment purely on visuals.

As for AT tires, remember that they may add +10 lbs of unsprung weight to each wheel and will kill your accel/deccel/braking/handling/mpg etc. LT and MT tires can add +20 lbs per tire and be really noisy on the highway and provide an even harsher ride.

As for offroading, you can easily take the NX out on trails and unpaved paths (even on stock tires). I've taken mine in mud, wet grass, damp sand, camp trails and felt a little hesitation, but got out just fine. Just know your limits and take the "easy" way out, not one which requires you to traverse over boulders or deep standing water, vertical incline, etc. If you are trying to do that, then yes, go get a 4Runner.

I took this route to get a better view of Lake Elsinore, here.
Old 06-20-17, 09:03 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by d8168055
There are some RAV4 lift kits out there that may fit the NX. I've contacted the manufacturer, sent them pics, and they said that it has the same suspension points as their kit. I am still a bit skeptical about it, since 1) no one has done on an NX before, and 2) no measurements were given to the manufacturer and they based their fitment purely on visuals.

As for AT tires, remember that they may add +10 lbs of unsprung weight to each wheel and will kill your accel/deccel/braking/handling/mpg etc. LT and MT tires can add +20 lbs per tire and be really noisy on the highway and provide an even harsher ride.

As for offroading, you can easily take the NX out on trails and unpaved paths (even on stock tires). I've taken mine in mud, wet grass, damp sand, camp trails and felt a little hesitation, but got out just fine. Just know your limits and take the "easy" way out, not one which requires you to traverse over boulders or deep standing water, vertical incline, etc. If you are trying to do that, then yes, go get a 4Runner.

thanks, I'll check out that lift kit. I think I'd just be interested in getting it raised a bit, get some beefier tires but lighter wheels to offset and possibly some guards on the side to prevent body damage.
Old 06-20-17, 09:07 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

What lift kit were you looking at?

Found this as well which would be cool. I'd bring it to a shop here in Vegas to get powder-coated black.

http://vanguardoffroad.com/15-17-lex...guard-s-s.html
Old 06-20-17, 09:18 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Check out Colorado Mountain Rally. Since the RAV4 has been around longer, there are more options for it, but we would have to experiment with those parts to make it work with the NX.

You can also look for P-metric AT tires to have a more aggressive tread pattern without the durability and weight of a true LT off road tire. It may also help to get 17" wheels to reduce some weight. That is the smallest size you can get to clear the calipers, just make sure you get the proper offset. Base model NX have 17" wheels and the temporary spare is also 17".
Old 06-20-17, 09:24 PM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Check out Colorado Mountain Rally. Since the RAV4 has been around longer, there are more options for it, but we would have to experiment with those parts to make it work with the NX.

You can also look for P-metric AT tires to have a more aggressive tread pattern without the durability and weight of a true LT off road tire. It may also help to get 17" wheels to reduce some weight. That is the smallest size you can get to clear the calipers, just make sure you get the proper offset. Base model NX have 17" wheels and the temporary spare is also 17".
Great tips thanks! I'll look into these.
Old 06-20-17, 10:17 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

But again, adding a lift and AT tires wont make your car any more capable in terms of mechanicals. AWD systems don't have the low range gearing that will help you apply more torque in crawling situations. The wheels will just spin when it doesn't have grip. The NX wont have the articulation of a 4WD system that have a solid axles, transfer case, and front/rear differentials where power can be applied to each of the four wheels.

So the key is to learn your limits and capabilities and don't get too adventurous. NX is just not made for it.
Old 06-21-17, 08:37 AM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

But again, adding a lift and AT tires wont make your car any more capable in terms of mechanicals. AWD systems don't have the low range gearing that will help you apply more torque in crawling situations. The wheels will just spin when it doesn't have grip. The NX wont have the articulation of a 4WD system that have a solid axles, transfer case, and front/rear differentials where power can be applied to each of the four wheels.

So the key is to learn your limits and capabilities and don't get too adventurous. NX is just not made for it.
Yes I agree. There are a lot of light trails here around Vegas that I would really just need more clearance for. So I'd probably get lift, tires, brush bar front and back, mud guards, a roof rack, maybe some extra LED lights for camping, and an air-compressor for sand and stop there. I'm not expecting the car to be a monster.
Old 06-21-17, 11:13 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by maLx
Yes I agree. There are a lot of light trails here around Vegas that I would really just need more clearance for. So I'd probably get lift, tires, brush bar front and back, mud guards, a roof rack, maybe some extra LED lights for camping, and an air-compressor for sand and stop there. I'm not expecting the car to be a monster.
I'm really trying to understand why you or anyone would want this out of an NX? It's a luxury compact SUV...it seems like such a waste to ruin the on-road composure/capability for occasionally driving off on a trail. If you want a trail toy, buy one, get a used wrangler or something...if you can afford an NX, you can afford $10k for an off road toy.

Or alternatively, put a hitch on the NX, get a small trailer, and bring an ATV to the trails and have a LOT more fun.
Old 06-21-17, 11:17 AM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

I'm really trying to understand why you or anyone would want this out of an NX? It's a luxury compact SUV...it seems like such a waste to ruin the on-road composure/capability for occasionally driving off on a trail. If you want a trail toy, buy one, get a used wrangler or something...if you can afford an NX, you can afford $10k for an off road toy.

Or alternatively, put a hitch on the NX, get a small trailer, and bring an ATV to the trails and have a LOT more fun.
That's why you don't understand.
The following users liked this post:
2018nx300 (09-03-22)
Old 06-21-17, 11:31 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by maLx
That's why you don't understand.
Uh what? Ontario has plenty (or more) outdoor things to do in far more remote areas.
The following users liked this post:
Garyson (07-08-17)
Old 06-21-17, 11:51 AM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Uh what? Ontario has plenty (or more) outdoor things to do in far more remote areas.
The terrain is very different. I literally can just turn off the road and hop into an open sandy area or into a dry lake bed where in your area you have lots of trees.

Quick Reply: Off Road