Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

speeding in PA

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 08:09 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default speeding in PA

Hi, I got a speeding ticket last weekend. My vehicle is registered in NJ but got a speeding ticket in PA. The police caught me at 81mph in a 55mph zone, but the officer told me he gave me a break and wrote 60mph in 55mph zone on the ticket, he also said the ticket wouldn't increase my insurance premium. I don't know if anyone here has similar incident happened to them and does the insurance premium increase ?
Old 05-11-15, 08:19 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes it will not sure why it wouldn't that is a traffic violation and as so would be a hike in insurance premium.
Old 05-13-15, 05:25 PM
Timd234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't because it's out of state. Insurance is based off points on your license (and accidents) and at least for PA, if you're out of state you don't get those points for whatever citation.I think they do that so you don't have to come all the way back to appear in court.

Source: I've only gotten 2 speeding tickets in my life, both were out of state and I didn't get any points/ insurance hikes.
Old 05-15-15, 07:42 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Timd234
It won't because it's out of state. Insurance is based off points on your license (and accidents) and at least for PA, if you're out of state you don't get those points for whatever citation.I think they do that so you don't have to come all the way back to appear in court.

Source: I've only gotten 2 speeding tickets in my life, both were out of state and I didn't get any points/ insurance hikes.
Maybe different with PA but in MA out of state we get nailed for out of state tickets such as Connecticut, which my friend got for speeding and received 2 points on it and lives in MA.
Old 05-16-15, 07:54 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

he did do you a favor by only doing 5 over, instead of 26 over. but you will get 2 points in NJ, usually that would affect your insurance.
Old 05-21-15, 11:56 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
he did do you a favor by only doing 5 over, instead of 26 over. but you will get 2 points in NJ, usually that would affect your insurance.
thanks guys on the update. I suspect that I would get 2 points for out of state violation in NJ, it doesn't matter if I got 5 or 6 points from out of state, in NJ only 2 points would transfer. However, in PA they dismiss minor traffic violation without any points, which in my case 5 over the limit is consider minor, but that's if the home state is PA. I just hope they dismiss the ticket and not report to NJ (cross fingers). either way I would know if there is an increase for my auto insurance on the next renewal date. on a side note, it's difficult not go over the speed limit in PA, the highways are open road everywhere than around northern NJ and NYC area.