Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?
Lexus Dealer Only for ALL services!
33.43%
Lexus Dealer for MAJOR services, other shops for SMALL STUFF (oil changes/tire rotations/filters)
34.93%
Never take it to Lexus Dealers - my local shop does all the work.
25.37%
"If it ain't broke - don't fix it!!!" - I do minimal service work where ever I happen to stop...
6.27%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 05:44 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO IT MYSELF

I do the oil & filter but the rest is theres. I use the synthetic oil & their filter too.
Old 07-03-04, 10:46 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone pay $80+ for a simple oil change, inspection & tire rotation @ their dealer? That's what they charge on Maui! And that's why I go to a local oil change shop! What are you guys paying?
Yeh, I pay something like that; 15K-mi, 45K-mi ...(I don't drive that many miles). I'm accepting the high cost in order to get the service into the Lexus database while it's under the 4-year warranty (to avoid any potential hastles if anything goes wrong with the car under warranty). The 6-month oil change (at half-year points) is something like $25 at the dealer.

I hunt for a dealer that will do the periodic service (e.g., 15K, 30K, 60K mi) per the Lexus recommendations, without padding it with other stuff. My closest dealer wouldn't, but my 2nd-closest would. In a few months I'll be going through this routine again when my 2-year service is due.
Old 07-03-04, 04:38 PM
LexFather

Moved to maintenance.
Old 07-13-04, 04:07 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been taking my RX300 to the dealer for the annual maintenance so far, but that's only been at the 1-year point, so far. I've changed my own oil twice and taken it to a Lexus dealer who gets $24 once. As related in my recent posting "Getting Recommended Maint. in the DC-area?", I'm now shopping around for the 2-year maintenance. I see some of you pay maybe $260 or so, but in the Wash DC area, out of 4 Lexus dealers, the best quotes I have gotten (for the Lexus recommended service only) are about $540!

Considering that the 15K-mi service last year was about $95 (still quite high) that averages about $225 each for changing the coolant and brake fluid (the only additional procedures)! I find that almost as insulting as the person who mentioned being quoted $450 to replace the disc brake pads.
Old 07-13-04, 05:41 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by bob2200
I'm now shopping around for the 2-year maintenance. I see some of you pay maybe $260 or so, but in the Wash DC area, out of 4 Lexus dealers, the best quotes I have gotten (for the Lexus recommended service only) are about $540!
Service quotes vary greatly by location, and it's understandable to see that DC prices are generally higher than other locations around the US. Also, each Lexus dealership has their own labor rate. Prices for parts can vary too at each dealership. To save money, most people would purchase parts via an online vendor like Carson Toyota, and bring the parts to be installed at a dealership or by a local Toyota/Lexus mechanic. You could also do the service work cheaply at a Toyota dealership (as long as they are not in the same location as a Lexus dealership).

As you can see, you have a few ways to save money on Lexus service
Old 07-16-04, 07:23 PM
stringman5
Driver School Candidate

I needed a 60,000 mile service on my 2000 LS400. Lexus dealer quotet $895. My local guy who does a lot of Lexus work wanted $595. The local Toyota dealer did it for $395, by the book plus a loaner and a complete detail job(wax, engine,and shampoo carpets and trunk). I think they liked my wife. I remember when I couldn't even get a tail light on my Lexus changed at a Toyota dealer. Now they advertise for Lexus owners' business....cheap.
Old 07-31-04, 06:47 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't vote....the choice I would pick is not there.

* Lexus service for what I can't handle, I do the rest.

steviej
Old 08-02-04, 09:34 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

only the dealer touches my car mechanically NOBODY else !!
Old 08-04-04, 07:37 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by bob2200
Yeh, I pay something like that; 15K-mi, 45K-mi ...(I don't drive that many miles). I'm accepting the high cost in order to get the service into the Lexus database while it's under the 4-year warranty (to avoid any potential hastles if anything goes wrong with the car under warranty). The 6-month oil change (at half-year points) is something like $25 at the dealer.

I hunt for a dealer that will do the periodic service (e.g., 15K, 30K, 60K mi) per the Lexus recommendations, without padding it with other stuff. My closest dealer wouldn't, but my 2nd-closest would. In a few months I'll be going through this routine again when my 2-year service is due.
I think that is smart. This should increase your resale value. Most purchasers of used Lexus ask the dealer for a service printout if service is missing it impacts the resale values. Most dealers understand that and will take it off your tradin value. Also with all 3 of my Lexus I would have them do the oil/filter changes that included a 21 point inspection which took care of all of the warranty checks and then at the major service intervals I would never ask for their service package but would get a oil/filter change and ask them to do the specific action that was due at that interval (example - service transmission) that will save you 70% over the packages that they sell. Plus it covers you in the Lexus computer for the warranty and for resale. JMHO
Old 04-06-05, 05:05 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never, yea, 60-80 for an oil change, without a loaner and when I wait no wash sometimes - I am looking to go to a Toyota dealer too when I don't do it myself.
Old 04-06-05, 09:46 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Lexus for major stuff and warranty work. Toyota for oil change. Tire rotation myself (because nobody else would include the spare in the rotation.)
Old 04-07-05, 08:18 PM
Ripper
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably shouldn't matter if routine maintenance is in the Lexus database. If a prospective buyer want service records, they should have to get them from the seller. If the seller can't or won't produce the records, that should factor into the buyer's decision. That was the case for me and my purchase but the price, independent physical inspection and then my own inspection and test drive outweighed the lack of service records.

I tried to get the service history on my recent purchase from my dealer (Pohanka Lexus). They wouldn't give it to me unless I came in with the car with proof of ownership. It was frustating while I was trying to make my purchase decision, however, now I can appreciate the protection of my privacy. I would hope that all dealers would have this policy. If I want to make my maintenance habits available when I finally put this car up for sale...great. But noone should be able to go around me to get that information.
Old 04-08-05, 05:27 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded in my 00 RX for a 01RX. My trade in value was just as high as a dealer serviced RX and the only time the dealer touched mine was for warranty work. Remember you are dealing with skilled sales people whose job is to make you think you are getting the best deal while they are getting the most out of the transaction. If they see your RX was dealer serviced of course they are going to tell you you are getting more for a trade in. If it was not dealer serviced they have another line. I do keep all receipts to prove service. Even if there was a difference in trade in value, is is nowhere near the amount you overpaid for service.

Last edited by mikey00; 04-08-05 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-08-05, 06:11 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I get my service done at an independent repair shop for all fluid changes & minor service work. I will be using either the Lexus dealer or Toyota dealer for major stuff like timing belt change, spark plugs, water pump etc.
Old 04-08-05, 07:23 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ripper

I tried to get the service history on my recent purchase from my dealer (Pohanka Lexus). They wouldn't give it to me unless I came in with the car with proof of ownership. It was frustating while I was trying to make my purchase decision, however, now I can appreciate the protection of my privacy. I would hope that all dealers would have this policy. If I want to make my maintenance habits available when I finally put this car up for sale...great. But noone should be able to go around me to get that information.
I think your dealer was just screwing with you. I've gotten the records on several Lexus that I was interested in at different dealerships in Atlanta and SW Missouri. This is not a Lexus policy to not provide records if you have the vin #.

Quick Reply: Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?