ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/)
-   -   Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance/92661-where-do-you-have-your-service-work-done.html)

RX300wannabeIS300 08-18-03 08:55 PM

Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?

I couldn't find any recent discussions about this, so help me out!

Now that both of my vehicles are Lexus, I'm wondering if I should rethink about where to have service/maintenance work done on my cars. For the past 2 years I've been taking the RX to the dealer for all major services except oil changes and tire rotations, which I've had done at my local Chevron franchise service shop.

Any suggestions/opinions are appreciated!

mikey00 08-19-03 08:39 AM

The RX should require almost no routine service other than oil and filter changes, check all fluids, and tire rotations. I am doing this from memory so I may be off a few miles or miss something so check your owners' manual for accuracy. In addition to the above, a coolant and brake fluid change is recommended at 30K, spark plugs and timing belt somewhere around 100K, air filter replacement at 30K, occasional re-torque of drive shaft bolts, and replacement of cabin air filter.
The dealer ( at least mine) does a wonderful job at all these things and has a nice waiting room with coffee, snacks, etc. The drawback is you overpay for the service and usually have to pay even more for a bunch of unnecessary fluid changes.
Most of above services can easily be done at your local guy for much less. I have all mine done by a local guy telling him exactly what I want done. I re-torque my own drive shaft bolts, but I haven't done this in a while and really question if it is necessary. Cabin air filter is in the glove box and just as easy as changing a light bulb at home. I don't replace mine but clean it as suggested elsewhere in this forum. When I get to the point where the timing belt needs to be changed, I will have to shop around and am not sure who I will trust to do this. Maybe a Toyota dealer.

ederny 08-23-03 06:33 PM

I see "do it all yourself" was left off the list! That is my selection...

BOWTIE 3 08-27-03 08:14 AM

LEXUS MAINT.

My wife purchased a ' 00 RX 300 from the Lexus dealer a few months ago. [ 38,000 miles ] I'm a service tech at a Chevy dealer and do most of the repairs/maint on our vehicles. Just curious if LEXUS honors the USED CAR EXTENDED WARRANTY if the owners do their own routine maint and repairs. When I took the RX 300 in for an oil/filter change the service advisor told me that Lexus does not recommend using the Mobil 1 that I had asked for. I've used Mobil 1 in our vehicles for years and swear by it. [ Change oil/filter every 3,000 miles ] I don't understand the rationale! Not only do I have a problem paying about $80.00 an hour for service work but I've always thought it a good idea to check the underside of a vehicle periodically and that can be done when performing maint. [ You know, "bonding" and all that! ] Also the $450.00 they quoted me for replacing the brake pads was insulting. [ $60.00 for premium pads and 2 hours work! ]

gsenthil 08-27-03 03:59 PM

I dont see why Lexus would have a problem with DIY. Just make sure you save reciepts etc

I (and many others in this forum) regularly use Mobil 1. Even ar 30k when I had the service done by Lexus, they used the Mobil 1 I provided w/o any hassles. (They also installed the K&N filter)

I use Toyota for oil changes (11 labor) and Costco for tire rotations (Free). My 30k was $260 labor at Lexus. I only do what is recommended in the manual nothing more.

toyo 09-11-03 12:38 PM

I do all mine myself.

J.B 09-24-03 09:38 AM

I intend to do everything I can: all fluids (transmission/transfer case, center rear diffs, coolant, engine oil, brake), filters, and stuff like that. I intent to use Lexus for electronic trouble shooting and I should be able to replace most sensors, etc.

Here, teh Toyota dealer cannot order any Lexus parts. If they do any work requiring parts, they have to have parts ordered and shipped from the Lexus dealer!

JB

rxdriver 09-27-03 02:27 PM

Can Toyota dealers handle routine service? There aren't any Lexus dealers located near me that I'd consider convenient, but there are 3 Toyota dealers that would be.

I would also assume that the Toyota dealers and the Lexus dealers are using the same nationwide service tracking database, so that Lexus will see the maintenance records for my vehicle. Safe assumption?

Besides the need to order most parts, has anyone encountered any other issues at a Toyota dealer that's not also a Lexus dealer?

ecrane 09-28-03 09:51 AM

our nearest Lexus dealer is 80 miles away. I've been using the local Toyota dealer for oil changes primarily to have a defense in case of oil sludge issues. Otherwise, in my other cars, I have a trusted tire shop change my oil. My wife drives the RX and it now has 30K miles so the first major service is due. It appears the only things that aren't inspections are changing the coolant and brake fluid as well as replacing the air filter. I did the air filter myself yesterday, piece of cake, and I called the local Toyota dealer and they'll change the coolant and brake fluid. Be interesting to see how much it costs. For those of you that have sprung for the Lexus 30K service, how much was it?

mikey00 09-28-03 10:43 AM

I had 30K service done by my local tire shop ( Who I trust) for a little less than $100. I had them do exactly what the owners manual recommends. Cooling system service and brake fluid change are the primary reasons this service is more expensive than previous ones. If I went to the Lexus dealer he would try to get anywhere form $300 to $500 by adding a lot of unnecessary fluid changes. If you argue that you only want what Lexus recommends, you can usually get this down to around $200. Many people feel real good at this point, but it is still way overpriced.
Remember your "service advisor" is in reality a salesman out to sell you whatever you will buy. Here is a recent employment ad from a local dealer:
"Service Advisor. We are seeking an aggressive, self-motivated person for a fast growing customer driven auto dealership. Must have excellent people and sales skills..............................."

HarrierAWD 04-09-04 06:57 PM

Originally posted by ecrane
our nearest Lexus dealer is 80 miles away. I've been using the local Toyota dealer for oil changes primarily to have a defense in case of oil sludge issues. Otherwise, in my other cars, I have a trusted tire shop change my oil. My wife drives the RX and it now has 30K miles so the first major service is due. It appears the only things that aren't inspections are changing the coolant and brake fluid as well as replacing the air filter. I did the air filter myself yesterday, piece of cake, and I called the local Toyota dealer and they'll change the coolant and brake fluid. Be interesting to see how much it costs. For those of you that have sprung for the Lexus 30K service, how much was it?
It was a whopping $450 for me. I am taking it to Toyota for my 60K.

The dealer changed all my fluids except draining my main vein (prefer to do that myself, thanks.) I don't understand why diff and transfer case oil need to be changed at 30K. I suppose 60K will do. It's not like I tow a boat or anything.

jfelbab 04-10-04 07:31 AM

My nearest Toyota dealer will do all but warranty work on my Lexus. This includes $28 lube, oil and filter changes. They perform all the service that the Lexus service manuel recommends. The economic upside to this is apparent. What is ironic is that the same corporation owns both the Toyota dealership and the Lexus dealership I use.

Since my Lexus dealership has shown no interest in correcting the several issues I have brought to their attention, I will have my car serviced at the Toyota dealer and save the money and frustration.

xfirechief 04-12-04 11:43 AM

IT'S A LEXUS!!

If its a Lexus only the dealer is the place for repairs. Oil & filter changes are not what I consider repairs, it is maintaince work. If u can, change the oil yourself.
I do & put in Amsoil Synthetics & their filter.
:thumbup:

Da Hapa 04-13-04 11:16 AM

I bought our RX from my parents who had the vehicle serviced by Lexus of Stevens Creek.

I had the first oil change done at my Lexus dealer (the same dealer that works on our IS300) and while the work was done well, and the price was fair (since we get a loaner car), I doubt I'll be taking the RX back to Lexus unless there's a warranty issue that needs to be handled (our RX has a 100K mile Lexus extended warranty).

Why?

Price. The truck is now due for its 60K mile service. Lexus wants $850 or so for the service (which is in line with other local dealers as I called 5 others and got bids from $800-$900). My brand new Toyota dealer (where the old service adviser we had at Lexus now works) will perfrom the same work for $550.

Apparently vehicles with large amounts of parts commonality (ie the Camry and the ES and the Highlander and the RX) enjoy this benefit.

I don't need the loaner car so I think that even on minor oil changes we'll be taking the RX into Toyota as well.

NeverSatisfied 04-13-04 11:49 PM

Does anyone pay $80+ for a simple oil change, inspection & tire rotation @ their dealer? That's what they charge on Maui! And that's why I go to a local oil change shop! What are you guys paying?