Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Tint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-03, 06:00 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tint Removal

Anyone know how to remove window tinting? And/or a good place in the NYC area to ge tthis done?
Old 06-23-03, 06:35 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a gas torch- you know the one with the bottle full of gas (butane or propane?) and the torch on the end. Then moving quickly, slowly heat the are where you will be removing the tint. Have someone on the inside slowly pull the tint away at an angle. This is tedious work and if you don't do it right, you could shatter your glass. Just make sure you don't heat one are for more than a second and you should be okay. For as cheap as tint shops are though, I would probably still go there just for peace of mind (they break it, they pay).

Tim
Old 06-23-03, 06:39 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to Pep Boyz....they have window tint film remover. Its in a spray bottle and it desolves the glue backing making it easy to remove. Much safer than a torch. Give it a shot.

gadgetSC-t
Old 06-23-03, 07:40 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

FYI don't use the gas torch on the rear window
Old 06-23-03, 08:25 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is how I did it.. before I start let me also advise that you don`t use a torch!!! anyways you have to wait for a bright sunny day to do this. You get black trash bags and cut them into the shape of your windows. go to walmart and buy pure amonia. spray the window down with it and use it as an adhesive to hold the garbage bag onto the window. (during this step you need to make sure that the amonia completely covers the window) also make sure you don`t breathe the amonia as it burns like hell. anyways after the garbage bag is on the window leave it in direct sunlight, you want it to heat up the tint glue and amonia as much as possible. probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours later come back and see if the tint is wrinkled and peeling if so remove the garbage bag (again be prepared and try not to breathe the amonia fumes that are released when you remove the bag. once you have the garbage bag removed, get a razor blade and start a cut in the edges (if you were very good about applying the amonia this step should be easy, alot of time spent on the amonia saves you from having to spend alot of time with the razor) take the small cut and grab it with your fingers and you should be able to pull the whole tint sheet off. during this step you need to make sure that you are pulling the glue sheet with the sheet of tint. removing glue with a razor is not fun, trust me. once you have the sheet off there might be some small parts that need your attention using the razor blade and amonia spray the pieces and scrap them away (this requires some elbow grease and attention, but it is required that you get all the small pieces so the new tint does not peel. when you do this step on the back window be careful of the defrosters, if you slip and cut one row of the defroster it is possible that row might not work, and maybe even others. once you get the rest of the tint removed clean the window one last time with a windex or similare cleaner, and you are ready for the new tint.
Old 06-23-03, 09:40 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our tinter does removal as well, PM me if you don't want to do it yourself...
Old 06-23-03, 10:59 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Spray "Simple Green" on your window tint. Then cover with plastic (use trash bags, visqueen, etc). Let sit in the sun for several hours. The tint will peel away in one piece. Then use an ammonia based cleaner to remove the residual glue. The green scour pads work great!
Old 06-27-03, 02:37 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Ok, so nobobdy likes my torch idea!?

I guess I did it the hard way

Now I've learned someting new too....an easier wat to remove tint