Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Cam to Cam Gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 08:10 PM
JJ777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam to Cam Gears

I recently bought a 94 LS400 with blown head gaskets to fix up for my wife to drive. I'm a professional technician of 20 years, but have very little experience working with the Lexus brand. I don't have access to a "factory" service manual. So I need help from someone who does.
The job has gone smooth other than one hitch. After I got the timing belt on and all the marks lined up, I checked my cam to cam relationship for both banks. I marked the intake to exhaust cam gears before I disassembled them with my own marks, which is my normal practice "just in case". Upon reassembly I found that both exhaust cams were set exactly as they were before tear down according to my marks. When I checked them against the factory marks I found both exhaust cams were 1 tooth behind the factory timing marks (retarded)! My manual also tells me they're off! The intake cams are both right where they should be.
So either this car that ran perfectly before tear down, somehow was previously assembled with both exhaust cams 1 tooth off, or this is the way it's supposed to be and my aftermarket manual is steering me wrong (which I have seen on rare occasion).
The easy answer would be leave it where it was, but I want it right. Can anyone verify where to set the exhaust cams?
Thank You
Old 11-12-13, 08:02 PM
oldskoolgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new factory belt would have the cam and crank marks on it. Just an idea.