Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

1998 GS400 Rear Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 06:45 PM
mojofilter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 GS400 Rear Rotor

Thanks to all the posts in these forums I was able to do my first ever brake pad swap without any help. However, my rear rotor on the driver's side was scored as well, and I cannot get it off. I'd feel like a complete failure if I had to take it to someone this late in the game.

I take the caliper off, and then it appears as if there is nothing holding it on. Yet, even with wd-40 and a rubber mallot it doesn't move at all. I tried this without the parking brake on as well.

The hub, i believe protrudes from the center of the rotor a couple of inches? It appears to have a rim on it that might be keeping the rotor on, but it's such a tight fit at that joint I cannot really tell.

Am I missing something? Is there any other bolt or screw or anyhting that I must undo before trying to get the rotor off?

I read other posts on this issue, but they did not specify whether or not there was anything else holding it on.

thanks,
Matt Worden
Old 11-19-02, 12:53 AM
mojofilter
Driver School Candidate

Question Update, but still need help

Using two 5/16" bolts through the two threaded holes in the rotor I was able two move it free from the center of the hub. If anyone tries this methof I suggest being careful as I almost ended up with two long bolts sticking out of my rotor, because they both stripped.

Even though I got the rotor moving, it will still not come off. Seeing as there is that ring that is behind and along the edge of 80%, if not more, of the circumference of the rotor; I cannot see what is holding onto the disc. I would say it was more of the hub, but when I try to look behind the rotor I see something moving with the disc.

I believe it is the parking brake shoes, even though I have the parking brake off. Any thoughts on how to alleviate this? I did not want to do any more pulling on it as I didn't feel like completely destroying my parkign brake.

Any help at all is appreciated,
thanks,
matt
Old 11-19-02, 01:26 AM
Sooner
Pole Position

Wink

that is your ebrake pads remove the rubber plug and with a flathead screwdriver find the adjuster and rotate it down to loosen but when you tighten go all the way tight and the back off 3 clicks
Old 11-19-02, 09:42 AM
mojofilter
Driver School Candidate

Default I will give it a shot

I have noticed that plug, and wondered what it was for, I took it off and looked inside there, not carefully with a flashlight. All I saw at the time was a bolt with a "10" on it. I assumed that meant 10 mm. Is the adjuster your talking about actually a flat head screw, or is that just your prefered tool? If it's not a flat head screw, what does it look like. Regardless, I will give it another shot after work today. Need to get a smaller flashlight.

i will let you know how it goes!

thanks again Sooner,
mw
Old 11-19-02, 11:49 AM
Sooner
Pole Position

not the 10 mm there is an adjuster that moves up and down look closely.hope this helps
Old 11-19-02, 06:54 PM
mojofilter
Driver School Candidate

Question almost there

It really helps Sooner, but I have just one more question, at least for now.

I got home and jacked the car up again, and pulled the plug out of the rotor. In looking inside I realized that the disc changes position in relation to the ebrake components. This wouldn't be a problem if I could rotate the rotor while the car was jacked up. However, I can only shift it a couple of cm in either direction.

If I take off the large hex cap in the center of the hub does that allow the disc to rotate? Or should the adjuster always be below the seal no matter what position the car stops in?

thanks once again,
mw
Old 11-19-02, 06:58 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

no u have to be able to spin the wheel to locate the adjuster
Old 11-19-02, 09:52 PM
mojofilter
Driver School Candidate

Talking Thanks!

Well, since I couldn't spin the disc because of the ebrake, I had to roll the car back and forth until the hole in the rotor was positioned at the lowest point possible. After that, the notched adjuster was easy to see and manipulate. And once the brake was loosened the Disc slid right off, thankfully.

I did pry one of the springs loose from the brake when I had previously pulled pretty hard on the disc. Fortunately, it was easy to put back together.

thanks again Sooner, couldn't have finished the job without your help.

mw