Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

1JZGTE issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 04:47 AM
aznmagic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i said i spaced my brown and black wite i meant my apexi neo brown and black wire
Old 06-25-12, 01:31 AM
aznmagic
Driver School Candidate

Okay, been doing some research and found out that i have the old style PCV valve (the one that was recalled). Going to install an oil catch can tuesday and see if that fixes the vacuum situation
Old 06-25-12, 05:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aznmagic
Okay, been doing some research and found out that i have the old style PCV valve (the one that was recalled). Going to install an oil catch can tuesday and see if that fixes the vacuum situation
Before you go that far, just plug the vacuum line where the PCV Hose plugs into the manifold and just let the PCV vent to atmosphere... This will tell you before you go replacing it just to replace it...
Old 06-25-12, 06:00 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

As far as the Neo goes, question? Most GTE motors use MAP, or speed.density, not MAF, which is what Katmandu and hot wire are... we sure we have MAF and not MAP?
Old 06-25-12, 06:02 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Man, autocorrect owns this thing... Katmandu is supposed to be Madman... and I can't edit my post either from mobile...
Old 06-25-12, 06:02 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Madman is supposed to be Karman.... ugh....
Old 06-25-12, 05:43 PM
aznmagic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Before you go that far, just plug the vacuum line where the PCV Hose plugs into the manifold and just let the PCV vent to atmosphere... This will tell you before you go replacing it just to replace it...
Ok i will do that. How will i know if its bad? Will it constantly spit out oil? As for the neo,

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/22837-1jz-map-sensor-info.html

That is what i have on my car. I can read the voltage from the in and out on my sensor check. Could it be because its not soldered? I crimped the connections, could it also be that i am teeing my boost guage off of the map sensor?
Old 06-25-12, 05:47 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Ok i will do that. How will i know if its bad? Will it constantly spit out oil? As for the neo,

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...nsor-info.html

That is what i have on my car. I can read the voltage from the in and out on my sensor check. Could it be because its not soldered? I crimped the connections, could it also be that i am teeing my boost guage off of the map sensor?
PCV generally get stuck open or closed, more often than not, they get stuck closed, which would not cause your issue... stuck open, potentially, but still not likely...

That thread talks about MAP sensors. You were talking about two different types of MAF sensors... noticed the P and F... one is pressure, the other is air flow... Karman and Hotwire are both different types of MAF sensors that you were talking about - your Neo should be wired and configured to run for a MAP sensor...
Old 06-25-12, 06:35 PM
aznmagic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
PCV generally get stuck open or closed, more often than not, they get stuck closed, which would not cause your issue... stuck open, potentially, but still not likely...

That thread talks about MAP sensors. You were talking about two different types of MAF sensors... noticed the P and F... one is pressure, the other is air flow... Karman and Hotwire are both different types of MAF sensors that you were talking about - your Neo should be wired and configured to run for a MAP sensor...
I see!!! Ill take a look at it today. The neo manual says "hotwire, flap, and pressure sensor" that is the one i used to wire it in. So how do i adjust my settings on the neo because In the sensor settings i can set hotwire and pressure. So how would i set that? I mistaked hotwire for being a map

Also my exhaust cam cover side is to atmosphere ( kinda looks like the pcv port but opposite side) should that be connected to the catch can while im testing the PCV?
Old 06-25-12, 07:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I see!!! Ill take a look at it today. The neo manual says "hotwire, flap, and pressure sensor" that is the one i used to wire it in. So how do i adjust my settings on the neo because In the sensor settings i can set hotwire and pressure. So how would i set that? I mistaked hotwire for being a map

Also my exhaust cam cover side is to atmosphere ( kinda looks like the pcv port but opposite side) should that be connected to the catch can while im testing the PCV?
To be honest with you, you don't need pcv or to connect that other vent tube for anything, at least until you have the car running properly...

The wiring is the same/similar no matter what you use for air metering, but you should set the sensor setting in the neo to pressure...

Correct, hotwire is not MAP, it is MAF - it heats a wire inside the MAF and then measures how much power it takes to keep it hot - the more, denser air that flows over it, the more power it takes to keep the wire hot... MAP is just a pressure sensor...
Old 06-26-12, 02:40 PM
aznmagic
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, thanks a lot mitsuguy, youve been a lot of help. I set everything up right yesterday, it will start easily and then cut right off. I believe its my fuel pump relay since the 13B rotary would have to give it signals to keep running
Old 06-27-12, 01:12 AM
aznmagic
Driver School Candidate

Okay wired the relat like it should have but that wasnt the problem. I suppose its the apexi neo. I checked the firmware and it is 1.020! But that shouldnt affect the map because they mostly upgraded it cuz of the karman right?
Old 06-27-12, 04:04 AM
aznmagic
Driver School Candidate

Ok so i think i may be on to something. My injectors are 550cc from a 2jz and my ecu is reading it like they are stock. I dont have an afpr...yet. Could this be an issue? It revs fine when its just the ecu and no apexi neo connected
Old 06-27-12, 07:04 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Ok so i think i may be on to something. My injectors are 550cc from a 2jz and my ecu is reading it like they are stock. I dont have an afpr...yet. Could this be an issue? It revs fine when its just the ecu and no apexi neo connected
The Neo doesn't really do anything with the injectors... those are roughly 20% larger than stock, so I am surprised it idles well, but, regardless... AFPR is worthless unless you need to tune your fuel pressure, and you should be fine on stock fuel pressure...

The Neo intercepts the MAP and gives the ECU a slightly different reading... with all adjustments on the Neo set at 0, it should act no different than if it weren't plugged in at all... I am not too familiar with all of the Neo's settings, but I would bet there is something wrong with one of them...
Old 06-29-12, 09:47 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

Forget the Karman. Your car uses a MAP sensor and the Neo needs to be set to read as such. Its primary use is to compensate for the increase injector size by manipulating the signal the ecu gets, as Cody has already stated. I'm willing to bet that its idling and not staying running because its expecting to see a variance in voltage at the Neo because it still thinks is hooked to a Karman sensor.