Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Questions for DIY oil changers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 04:25 PM
chowder
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for DIY oil changers

I'm curious.

When I do my oil and filter change I find myself adding 6 quarts (GS400). I realize the manual has a lower designated capacity.

For those of you changing the oil ONLY(filter every other time), how much oil are you putting in after draining?

For those of you changing oil AND filter, how much oil are you putting in after draining?

How do you guys check your oil level? I drive her a bit then shut her down on a flat street, wait a min or two, then check the dip a few times.

What's worse: being just below the "L" on the dipstick, or just above the "F"?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-07-02, 04:29 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

5 qt,. exactly with filter change.
You need to wait for the oil to come down to the engine pan, before start measuring, else, you will over fill. (wait like 10 min, before checking the level) 5qt rule work great, you don't even need to check, you learn to know your own car.

just below the "L" on the dipstick, or just above the F??

I say, just above F is worst, oil expand when it's hot, so just above F will be alot above F when hot

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-07-02 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 05:24 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
Hey banana ,some of your links are not working, i do desperatly need to get to some of them.got a question for you, where is the re-fill hole on the Differential, is it the similiar looking Hex nut appox.4" to the right and 2" up of the drain plug?.
thanks ,clive.
Old 10-07-02, 05:58 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

clive,
the top nut is the refill hole, PM me which link does not work.I think I fixed everything now.

yes, there are only 2 hex nuts there, the drain one is specified in the picture, the other one is the refill, should be right in the middle of the differential box. I updated some of the diy also.

good luck
Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-07-02 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 06:26 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Strange. Whenever I do my change it takes almost exactly 6 quarts (BTW why would anyone change only the oil when a filter is $7?!?)

I check the level a couple times in the next day to make sure it is where it belongs. OTOH my wifes Sienna takes exactly 5 quarts on a change.

I agree above F is worse, but it is easy enough to put in just enough to get it right. You don't have to pour in a whole quart you know.

YMMV

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 10-07-02 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 06:33 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

yeah, from the L-F level is 1 quart. when putting 5 qt, my level is in the middle to high (between L-F), I guess you can really get to F if you want (6qt)
there a least 1/2 quart trap in the valve cover and slowly come down, so don't measure your level right the way, give it a few min, if you need more, give it more =)
just make sure you don't put too much

also, depend on how long of let the car drain the old oil.

hee hee
Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-07-02 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 07:08 PM
chowder
Driver

banana-
I drain the heck out of my pan. 5 never seems to be enough. It also seems you are checking your oil level with the engine cold. Do I hear you right?

johnson-
I phrased the question this way b/c I know some ppl on this board do something like: oil @ 3000, oil+filter @ 7500. I wanted to make sure which quantity they meant.
Old 10-07-02, 10:55 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I fill in 6 1/2 qts. This amount is exactly on the "F" mark.
Old 10-08-02, 02:46 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

lexus service book stated that the re-fill capacity with oil filter is 5.5 quarts. 6.5??? that is nutz

6 still seems reasonable, but 6.5? oh well..
Old 10-08-02, 09:45 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dipstick is meant to be checked on a hot engine (after turning it off and giving a few minutes for the oil to settle down into the pan), right?
Old 10-08-02, 11:18 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I am not 100% sure on checking engine oil when the engine is hot, because I alway check it when it's cold for engine oil level, or after change oil, and check transmission oil level when the engine is warm and running (in park)

Only Transmission dipstick has dual level for Cold and Hot, NOT engine oil dipstick.

My advise:
kreativ, lexus book specified the refill capacity is 5.5 qt. So if you fill 5 or 5.5, you are in the safe zone (1 qt from L/F (4.5-5.5) level). (5qt get you right in between L and F line) You don't lose engine oil anyway, (unless your are leaking), then I would recommend stay away from the F level, anywhere in between L/F is fine. If you know that you are burning or losing oil, then fill them up in the high side, so when you lose a little bit of oil you are still in the safe zone.

Just check my oil level this morning (5 qt, right in the middle L/F) exactly where I expect it to be.

Also, I change oil every 5K WITH Filter change, using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil. You can get the 5 qt BIG container at Wal-mart for Mobil 1 Full Sync 5W30 for a lot cheaper than buying a case of Mobil 1 at local auto parts.

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-08-02 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-08-02, 03:14 PM
chowder
Driver

banana-
I find it totally bizarre that you put in 5qt with a filter and I put in 6qt, and when I measure as you do (dead cold engine), I also come up dead between L and F. I also have a 99 GS4, and I also use Mobil1 5w30. How can there be so much variance? Are you draining for a very short time?

kreativ-
I was told to check the oil as you described. Doing it that way I come up close to the F mark.
Old 10-08-02, 04:04 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I don't know what to say, all I can say that lexus service guide showed that the refill with filter is 5.5 quart, I would stay with it 5.5 or alittle under but no more.

I normally let it drain for about 15 min when change oil, till the oil does not run any more.

I checked mine, twice this morning, 5 qt, right in the middle L/H
(I had changed oil last month)

fill it up to which ever point that get you between L/H level

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-08-02 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 06:11 PM
LexFather

Moved to maintenance. I put in 5 quarts, i did mine Sunday and used Castrol Synthetic blend.
Old 10-08-02, 11:14 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

98 GS 400----I put in 6 quarts of Mobil 1. My GS has high mileage, so the Lexus tech recommended using 10w-30 (especially during the summer time). I noticed that it helped silence the valve noise at idle too.
About those Lexus/Toyota oil filters...
First, I went to the Toyota dealer, picked up a filter for the V-8 (parts guy said there's only one type of filter for the V-8 that Toyota offers.
After removing the oil filter, I noticed that the Lexus filter I removed and the Toyota filter I was about to install are a little bit different and although it would have fit, I didn't want to risk it (by the way, a new motor for the GS4 is almost $20,000!)
So I went back to Lexus and the parts guy said its best to go with the correct oil filter from Lexus because the valve inside the filter may be different. You guys buy that?

Quick Reply: Questions for DIY oil changers