Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

SC400 intermittent starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 09:36 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bott63
Starter was recently replaced, so i'm fairly sure it's not this...
I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time I heard that and it ended up being the problem...

As I always say, just because its new doesn't mean it works...
Old 10-31-11, 10:27 AM
Bott63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time I heard that and it ended up being the problem...

As I always say, just because its new doesn't mean it works...
Hmmm... I've already replaced the starter, and when the problem occurs again, and I wiggle the car forward when it's in park, then jiggle the gear selector in and out of gear, it starts again, yet you're still certain it's the starter? Sounds like you're dealer service writer to me... $$$
Old 11-01-11, 06:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Hmmm... I've already replaced the starter, and when the problem occurs again, and I wiggle the car forward when it's in park, then jiggle the gear selector in and out of gear, it starts again, yet you're still certain it's the starter? Sounds like you're dealer service writer to me... $$$
There are basically four things that can go wrong here, starter, park/neutral switch, ignition switch, and the wiring between...

From your own description, you said you can hear the starter try to engage, but no dice.

If the starter tries to engage but doesn't, we have eliminated the park/neutral switch and ignition switch. Wiring can still be a culprit by not transmitting enough power to complete the engagement, but you said those were checked. Which leads me back to the starter.

Now, here's the kicker, if it is doing exactly what you say it is doing, and it is getting sufficient power, there is one last thing that can cause problems, and though rare, it can and does happen, and that is the gearing on the flywheel / flexplate isn't meshing well with the starter drive gear... which led me back to the starter, but, who knows... I can only give you advice based on what I read here...

Also, I was serious about that comment. I am a service writer and I have seen hundreds of "new" parts not work properly, most of them electronics in vehicles. Starters and alternators seem to be the worst, with new OEM dealer parts off the shelves not working sometimes. I deal with it on a daily basis and it sucks to spend 3 hours installing an alternator (yes, some vehicles they are that hard to do, having to remove cv axles and such), only to find it isn't charging when the car starts...
Old 11-02-11, 05:56 AM
Bott63
Driver School Candidate

Cody,

I may have mis-stated from what you responded to above. When this scenario occurs, I can't hear the starter try to engage. It's almost as if there was a "starter-kill" switch engaged. Turn the key, and nothing happens. Sometimes there is a vary faint single click. I actually had this happen yesterday while out ording a part. I had driven my cold car 3 minutes away from my house. Went in, and came out 5 minutes later, and no start. Rocked car back and forth while in park position, and still no start. Placed car in neutral, rolled back 6 inches and slipped into park position again. Turned key again, and it started right up.
Old 11-02-11, 06:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Cody,

I may have mis-stated from what you responded to above. When this scenario occurs, I can't hear the starter try to engage. It's almost as if there was a "starter-kill" switch engaged. Turn the key, and nothing happens. Sometimes there is a vary faint single click. I actually had this happen yesterday while out ording a part. I had driven my cold car 3 minutes away from my house. Went in, and came out 5 minutes later, and no start. Rocked car back and forth while in park position, and still no start. Placed car in neutral, rolled back 6 inches and slipped into park position again. Turned key again, and it started right up.
Well, there is an easy, yet somewhat obscure way to test to see if it is the starter... Simply buy or make a direct start switch... Something like this: http://www.absolutepowertools.co.uk/....php/sn/VS2057

When the car acts up, simply turn the key to the on position, press this button. If it starts every time, its not the starter, if it doesn't start, its the starter. If it starts like this, look in to the ignition switch, park/neutral switch and the associated wiring.
Old 02-10-12, 09:05 PM
Bott63
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the delayed update. It was the neutral safety switch. 100% fixed!
Old 12-07-15, 03:58 PM
Category5
Driver

Awaking this thread from the dead, this was SUCH a informational thread, and thanks Bott for finishing it with stating the culprit because I think this just answered ALL my problems questions!