Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

What's the diff. btw Professional tint/DIY tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 12:57 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the diff. btw Professional tint/DIY tint

I'm just wondering what is the real difference btw. having windows professionally tinted versus do-it-yourself film tint?

my popz and a lottah mah friends at high school have their windows professionally tinted and they look real nice and clean, why is that, what is the process?????

I have static-cling-on tint, it's a real pain cuz it blurs the view, especially at night.

thanks...peeesh
Old 09-14-02, 01:26 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think about it. The only difference is the person doing it. They are just more experienced because it is their job.

The real question should be "What is the difference in tint quality?" If you buy tint at a chain auto store (autozone, Advance, PepBoys) you can NOT get a professional quality finish. If you purchase your tint from a good shop then it is only a matter of how good you can do it. I watched a shop tint my windows and saw the techniques they used. After that I did a couple of my friends cars and it came out just as nice as what I paid money for. THe only real hard thing is the rear window. It is very tricky and I messed up my first time. Big deal, I was out like 15-20 dollars for the tint. Good learning experience though.

The advantage of getting it professionaly done is the fact that you will have a warranty against peeling off or bublbing.

Put it this way:
I know I can do a perfect job, but if I just bought a brand new 30k + car, I would get it done. That is just my nature. However if someone wanted me to tint their 100k car I would do it no problem.

It is the simple fact that if I do it myself, I am too picky. I notice EVERY minor flaw, dust in tint or what-have-you. I just feel more comftorable paying someone to do something like that to my OWN car.

Good luck with what you choose. If you have some questions feel free to ask.

-Shawn
Old 09-14-02, 01:49 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

as shawn said...you want to have someone with tons of experience to get the car done right the first time....the real pain is the rear windshield...my tint guy ahs been doing this for 18 years, and he still does it with extreme care when it comes to expensive cars...
Old 09-14-02, 01:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The difference is DIY tint looks like crap.
Old 09-14-02, 02:11 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Back in highschool [early 80's] I tried a Can-O-Tint spray. What a mess. I applied it too thick and the glass was not warm enough [wonderful Alaskan winters]. Took a few minutes to apply and months to fully remove.

A man has got to know his limitations, for me that includes self tinting. I pay to get mine done.
Old 09-14-02, 02:58 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

LOL, I also tried that spray tint "back in the day", when it used to be cool to have tail light covers. I worried about my taillight covers blowing off so I tried other methods. I first used black pantyhose to cover my taillights. After I got bored with that I tried some spray window tint. LOL what a joke. Consequently I ruined my taillights. They looked awful. What was I thinking!?!

I was a ricer before ricers were invented! Oh No!

If I saw anyone today with either of these things done to their car I would LMAO.
Old 09-16-02, 04:37 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

thanks everyone,

Currently, I have static cling-on tint from my friend's maxima, i cut it to match my windows, but it looks pretty cheap.

I bought some film tint and was gonna get ready to tint with the help of some friends, but after some contemplation, i'm just going to get it done professionally (even if the best deal around Chicago is $200 for all 5 windows).

thanks again,

XenonES3
Old 09-16-02, 05:29 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Yeah, basically there are 2 differences: 1) the quality of the tint film being used, and 2) the skill of the person applying it.

Someone who has built plastic model kits and used those water slide-on decals will understand the general theory behind the application of tint film, which includes making sure you squeegee out all the bubbles before it dries.

Ral