Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

IS-F Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 08:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

i've seen worse... people drive brand new cars and can't afford to pay for gas!
Old 09-05-11, 12:38 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, that's the problem with dealers, just because you can afford a lexus doesn't mean they can charge you those extras for something a toyota dealer can charge for less. I know some lexus owners here have their maintenance done on a toyota dealer rather than the lexus dealer, same parts, different workers.

After looking at the price on my service, I'd rather learn the DIY maintenance or go to a toyota dealer that offers the same service for lesser price.

Last edited by happy1977; 09-05-11 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-05-11, 05:22 PM
ironoxide1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Interesting. My Supra has never seen a dealer for anything but warranty work. It has 150k on it, still dynos over 300 to the wheels, drives tight, and looks new. My F has also only been to the dealer for the 1000 mile check up. It has 53k on it, and four track weekends. Drives tight, UOA says my 12k oil change interval works just fine, and I'm pretty sure it will last as long as I care to keep it or Lexus makes parts to fix it.

I don't work on my cars to "save a buck", I do it myself to keep it out of the hands of guys who are booking two hours for every hour worked and trying hard to book three hours for every hour worked. I know how things get done in environments like that, and it's far from ideal.
Ever hear of flat rate? Flat rate is designed to protect the customer and technition. For the customer...flat rate protects the customer from overpaying for a particular job. It is set up by an independant company that determines a fair price for the job. Lets say a valve cover job. And book time on it is 4 hours. If a customer gets a guy who takes 6 hours to get it done, you wouldn't want to pay 6 hours because he's "new" or he's "screwing around" right? NO! You pay the 4 hour book time....however...lets look at it from the technitions point of view...he has been a tech at the same dealership for 15 years...he knows the cars like the back of his hand...he has been to years and years of schooling...he has paid $10000 to $50000 in tools...and he gets the same valve cover job that pays 4 hours...he doesn't screw around...he gets the job done in 2 hours...should he get penilized because of his experience??? NOPE...he has just beaten flat rate...and is rewarded for his experience while the customer pays a "fair price" for a job well done..if your worried about techs overcharging...maybe your taking your car to the wrong places....you get what you pay for...its been proven time and time again
Old 09-05-11, 10:38 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

an oil change is an oil change..
the oil filter however should remain toyota - and the oil is mostly a brand preference..
but regardless of who does it, its still an oil change.
50$ here or 55$ at a dealership isnt really going to break the bank. or 30$ for oil and filter and +$ ramps if you dont have them and an oil catch pan and paper towels, or orange hand cleaner cuz your gonna get a bit dirty. oh and a tool set if you dont have one. and give yourself a half hour.

seems to me like money well spent at a dealership. (im assuming the OP doenst have said items to do it himself or he wouldnt be asking)

and flat rate is a bunch of BS -
if it shouldnt take a tech more than 5 hours to do something.. great dont charge more than 5 hours.. but if it only takes him 2 then only charge two.
the tech surely doesnt see all of the 150$ an hour, but is still making a profit as theres another job on the go during the rest of the 3 hours he/she was paid for.

Mitchell time is for idiots, first-timers, typical fresh out of the school noobies working on a car they've never seen before.

a tech who's worked on the same cars for years and years knows it doenst take nearly half that time in Most cases but why would he/she say anything? cuz ppl are greedy bastards..

Last edited by soarer93; 09-05-11 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-05-11, 10:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by ironoxide1
Ever hear of flat rate? Flat rate is designed to protect the customer and technition. For the customer...flat rate protects the customer from overpaying for a particular job. It is set up by an independant company that determines a fair price for the job. Lets say a valve cover job. And book time on it is 4 hours. If a customer gets a guy who takes 6 hours to get it done, you wouldn't want to pay 6 hours because he's "new" or he's "screwing around" right? NO! You pay the 4 hour book time....however...lets look at it from the technitions point of view...he has been a tech at the same dealership for 15 years...he knows the cars like the back of his hand...he has been to years and years of schooling...he has paid $10000 to $50000 in tools...and he gets the same valve cover job that pays 4 hours...he doesn't screw around...he gets the job done in 2 hours...should he get penilized because of his experience??? NOPE...he has just beaten flat rate...and is rewarded for his experience while the customer pays a "fair price" for a job well done..if your worried about techs overcharging...maybe your taking your car to the wrong places....you get what you pay for...its been proven time and time again
Try again. I know flat rate just fine. That's the problem. The tech's goal is to beat the flat rate time by at least 50% or he doesn't make any money. A good friend got so "proficient" at replacing clutches in Hondas after a major warranty issue he'd book 6 hours on a job that took him 37 minutes from start to finish. It was great for him, but I'd say flat rate on that job was ridiculous. If I have to pay for 6 hours and the job is done from service adviser to delivery in less than an hour, I'm really not believing the tech did quality work. And THAT'S where the problem is. When your sole focus is to knock out the job in minimum time with an acceptable rate of call backs, the work isn't nearly as good as what I can do in my own garage where I can attend to whatever needs attention without being focused on logging 80 hours in a 40 hour week.

If you really think flat rate promotes quality work, you're kidding yourself. I've been around the industry for a very long time and have many friends working in it. Besides, I typically know more about the car I own than the techs who work on it. I surely know a whole lot more about electronic systems than the vast majority of techs including the Master Techs because I've been working on digital and analog electronics since 1973 in motorcycles, cars, aircraft, and ground systems.

Overpaying? Never. Getting poor quality work? Seen it FAR too many times.
Old 04-17-12, 02:49 PM
scrosby
Driver

Just came across this thread. I had to mention the comment that simply blew me away - maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but nevertheless....

Originally Posted by ironoxide1
in my dealership...i see 2 types of cars...the ones that service it based on our recommendations and the ones that dont...the ones that do...seem to run and run and run worry free...I have bought 4 of these and never once started them or test drove them...i didnt have to...the owners fixed it when it broke and serviced it when it was time...

You don't test drive your cars before purchasing!!??
Old 04-27-15, 03:39 PM
xianxian
Driver

nooby my bad...

where the heck is the oil pan? on the ISF?