Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

IS-F Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 11:53 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS-F Oil Change

Coming up on my first oil change for the IS-F just wanted to get some recommendations on where to get an oil change from a reputable place at a good price. I am trying to avoid the stealership and don't have time to do it myself. I am looking for a place in Newport Beach, CA or close by any suggestions would be great thanks.
Old 03-11-11, 06:00 PM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the local forums, check yelp or do it yourself. Doing it yourself would take 20 minutes with the proper tools and costs half the price.
Old 04-13-11, 07:53 PM
ironoxide1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cowsgomoo
Check the local forums, check yelp or do it yourself. Doing it yourself would take 20 minutes with the proper tools and costs half the price.
I dont understand how you can buy a car like that and let any tool work on it...take it to the dealership...you will be better off in the long run...if your just going to have it for a year or 2 then take it anywhere...but if your planning on keeping it you will be better off...look these aftermarket shops know exactly what the dealers charge and they cut the labor a little...but mostly there cheaper because they are using inferior parts...ya that filter is $35 cheaper...but does it filter out the same microns as the OEM...absolutly NOT!

in my dealership...i see 2 types of cars...the ones that service it based on our recommendations and the ones that dont...the ones that do...seem to run and run and run worry free...I have bought 4 of these and never once started them or test drove them...i didnt have to...the owners fixed it when it broke and serviced it when it was time...all 4 cars had over 140k miles when i bought them...they look like new and they drive like new...then lets take the other guy...he goes here or there trying to save a buck and thats all it is...a buck...but he is the guy at 100k miles whos car drives like crap...it rattles...the only thing hes done is change the oil...forget servicing the rest of the car...he cant understand why people like lexus so much...his car is junk...goooood luck!
Old 04-13-11, 08:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ironoxide1
but mostly there cheaper because they are using inferior parts...ya that filter is $35 cheaper...but does it filter out the same microns as the OEM...absolutly NOT!
Actually, if you were to do some research, you may find that there are plenty of aftermarket brands that do everything the stock filter does, and more at times, and cost is not all that much different from an OEM filter...

The difference in cost, well, is almost all labor... We did the labor for almost nothing at an independent repair shop just so we had a chance to make a customer... its what is called a loss leader... In fact, customers that brought in our coupons and such would actually be getting an oil change for less than our parts cost... But, we got to take care of them, and they always loved us... Meaning we took them from you...
Old 04-13-11, 09:23 PM
indyberett
Rookie

I would use an oem oil filter on the IS-F, but any oil change place should be able to do it. It will be at a premium over a normal oil change because of the larger amount of oil the IS-F takes.

Make sure that the oil change place list on the receipt that they used a stock (factory)oil filter rather than a generic to keep your warranty intact.

Mobil 1 should be a good fit...

The oil change guys at the dealership are NOT the same guys that work on your car for repairs. They are minimum wage guys just like all the other oil change places. They just move from place to place. My best friend is the service manager and is always telling me stories about some of the dummies working the oil change stations.

Do you really think they are going to have the tech making $20+ an hour doing oil changes?
Old 04-16-11, 05:24 PM
ironoxide1
Driver School Candidate

we do not have "oil change guys" in our shop...some shops may...but I have seen on more than one occassion Master certified tech doing oil changes...granted...when a big job comes in...it goes to a more "senior" tech vs. maybe a newbie...the guys in our shop work in teams...we have 5 teams...and each team shares pay...so there is no fighting about he got a better ticket or anything like that...our guys work together and it is a total team effort...

Originally Posted by indyberett
I would use an oem oil filter on the IS-F, but any oil change place should be able to do it. It will be at a premium over a normal oil change because of the larger amount of oil the IS-F takes.

Make sure that the oil change place list on the receipt that they used a stock (factory)oil filter rather than a generic to keep your warranty intact.

Mobil 1 should be a good fit...

The oil change guys at the dealership are NOT the same guys that work on your car for repairs. They are minimum wage guys just like all the other oil change places. They just move from place to place. My best friend is the service manager and is always telling me stories about some of the dummies working the oil change stations.

Do you really think they are going to have the tech making $20+ an hour doing oil changes?
Old 04-16-11, 05:35 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work at a "stealership" and have to mop up alot of messes caused by aftermarket shops. Take it to the dealership. Deal with OEM parts, and the right fluids. For all you know, your 9qts of Mobil1 could be going in the techs tool box, and 9qts of Texaco 10w30 goes in your car. Need I remind you most aftermarket shops dont have the filter sst for your oil filter housing.

During your write up ask the service advisor to ensure your car goes to the master technician. You should be able to watch the technician work on your car. Its that simple.

Threads like this irritate me, and I'm suprised I havent seen the usual responses such as:

Real car guys can change their own oil

Dont buy an IS-F if you're gonna whine about maintaining it!

Last edited by Spooled; 04-16-11 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 05:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The work is only as good as the guy doing the job. I've seen half-*** jobs done by the dealership and wonderful work done by an independent mechanic.

And not all shops uses inferior parts. My friend who now owns his own shop (Lexus Master Tech), uses OEM parts only, unless the customer wants something cheaper. Difference? Lexus charges $110/hr for labor while he does it for $55/hr. Same mechanic, same parts, but you don't get the Lexus pampering.
Old 04-16-11, 07:12 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont get me wrong. I've worked for both independant shops and dealers, there are just as many good techs as there are bad techs at both shops. But I can also tell you from experience, managers like to see Lexus service history when the customer is making warranty claims. I've seen a customers service history with our shop make or break goodwilling repairs/labor. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-11, 06:10 AM
Dstockton
Driver School Candidate

Most of the people that change the oil at dealerships are newbies and arent the best mechanics fyi. I would do it yourself. They don't care about your car at a dealership and you care a lot about it.
Old 07-28-11, 12:35 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

You might get more replies posting in the CL of Southern California thread. But I would go to this place and ask for Mike.

LTS MasterTech
1551 E. Walnut Street, Pasadena, CA 91106
626-765-6190

Old 07-28-11, 08:57 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by Dstockton
Most of the people that change the oil at dealerships are newbies and arent the best mechanics fyi. I would do it yourself. They don't care about your car at a dealership and you care a lot about it.
I totally agree!!! If you care about your car, try to do as much as possible yourself. I bought my ES 350 brand new, and it has never been to the dealership for service, not even for the free 1000 mile checkup.
Old 07-30-11, 12:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by ironoxide1
...in my dealership...i see 2 types of cars...the ones that service it based on our recommendations and the ones that dont...the ones that do...seem to run and run and run worry free...I have bought 4 of these and never once started them or test drove them...i didnt have to...the owners fixed it when it broke and serviced it when it was time...all 4 cars had over 140k miles when i bought them...they look like new and they drive like new...then lets take the other guy...he goes here or there trying to save a buck and thats all it is...a buck...but he is the guy at 100k miles whos car drives like crap...it rattles...the only thing hes done is change the oil...forget servicing the rest of the car...he cant understand why people like lexus so much...his car is junk...goooood luck!
Interesting. My Supra has never seen a dealer for anything but warranty work. It has 150k on it, still dynos over 300 to the wheels, drives tight, and looks new. My F has also only been to the dealer for the 1000 mile check up. It has 53k on it, and four track weekends. Drives tight, UOA says my 12k oil change interval works just fine, and I'm pretty sure it will last as long as I care to keep it or Lexus makes parts to fix it.

I don't work on my cars to "save a buck", I do it myself to keep it out of the hands of guys who are booking two hours for every hour worked and trying hard to book three hours for every hour worked. I know how things get done in environments like that, and it's far from ideal.
Old 08-31-11, 10:25 AM
buis02
Driver School Candidate

One thing I've learned is that if you can afford the car you can afford the maintenance. If you need someone to do your oil change or whatnots, shoot me a PM I got a hold of a master tech at Park Place Lexus in Mission Viejo that does side jobs.
Old 08-31-11, 03:52 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by buis02
One thing I've learned is that if you can afford the car you can afford the maintenance. If you need someone to do your oil change or whatnots, shoot me a PM I got a hold of a master tech at Park Place Lexus in Mission Viejo that does side jobs.
This is not true... I have dealt with many people who purchased cars they truly could not afford the maintenance on - so bad that things like tires and brakes were cheaped out on when replacement time came - just making the car that much worse... just because someone can get approved for a car loan doesn't mean they can pay for it and all the other joys of car ownership...

I guess they really couldn't afford the car to start, honestly, but they bought it anyways...

Quick Reply: IS-F Oil Change