Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 09:32 AM
ISAVY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools

So I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this one, and the maintenance forum looks as if no one uses it so here it goes. So I am going to buy a completely new tool set to work on my Lexus with and my other cars. And I was wondering if anyone had any feed back / experience using.

Snap-on Tools (Most Expensive)
Snap-on Blue Point (Cheaper Snap-on ???)
Craftsman

Any feedback would be great.
Old 06-28-10, 10:11 AM
inwood
Lead Lap

You can't go wrong with either, they are all quality products. Blue Point is a rebranded series of Snap-On products. I believe they consist mainly of specialized products that Snap-On doesnt manufacture. I personally have a mixture of Snap-On and Craftsman tools and haven't had any issues.
Old 06-28-10, 11:41 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just buy Craftsman, if it breaks just goto sears and get a new one rather than waiting for brudda in the truck... yeah yeah Snap-On is some of the best tools on the planet and you wont regret the purchase one bit... still, Craftsman FTW!!!
Old 06-28-10, 11:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wouldn't even touch Craftsman anymore, except maybe their professional line. But for the price, go with Gearwrench. Nicer than most craftsman and you can get it warrantied the same way at Sears. The only thing Craftsman had going for them is that they were made in USA, but now many of their tools are slowly being made in China. Not that there is anything wrong with certain China-made tools (Gearwrench is sometimes made there), but I find it wrong to charge the same amount, if not more for something that cost them less to make. That's my only real gripe about Craftsman nowadays.

For the weekend mechanics, Gearwrench and some Craftsman will do the job fine. No need to spend an insane amount of money if you just need to unbolt an oil drain bolt.
Old 06-28-10, 11:56 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don’t mind spending the money on snap-on then go for snap-on. I personally love them the little things like the ergonomics of the tools to the simple things like positioning the head on their ratchets at a different angle so it always lands in a position where you already have leverage is awesome.
Old 06-28-10, 08:05 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The majority of my tools are Craftsmen and most I've inherited from my dad. I need a new 1/2 inch socket wrench and will probably go with Craftsmen unless I find a Snap-On one for cheap.
Old 06-28-10, 08:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I'd ask first if you are a hobbiest, shade tree mechanic or really wrench on your car(s) a lot.

Quality tools are very nice to have, but to drop the coin on a full Snap-On set if you just work on your car occasionally is overkill. Nice, but quite expensive.

My approach has always been get something with a lifetime warranty if possible. For items you use regularly get the higher quality stuff.

I've got Craftsman tools for most of my stuff, but a few Snap On and Blue Point pieces as well.
Old 06-29-10, 09:56 AM
ISAVY
Rookie

Yea, I am just a once in a weekend type mechanic on my car. I'm not cracking it out each day. But I want to get a good set that will probably last me my lifetime. I know Snap-On is good might everyone is right it might be overkill. So you guys think Craftsman or Blue-Point (Snap-On) has some good deals at the moment the moment on Blue-Point.