Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Radiator: Upper Tank Nipple Broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 12:57 PM
stargazer0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator: Upper Tank Nipple Broken

OK. While changing my starter a year ago I broke off the nipple on the radiator. I used JBWeld to fix it and it lasted a year. I JBWelded it again and its working but I dont like the possibility of it breaking again.

So here is my question: I can get a new LEXUS upper tank and gasket from Carson or a whole new aftermarket radiator. The tank and gasket are the same price as a Silla radiator. Which is better..keeping the old Lexus radiator with a new upper tank and gasket or a whole new Silla radiator.

The reason I ask...I like authentic Toyota/LEXUS parts. But, I also like my money. In most things on my LS I just get new LEXUS parts. But want some advice on the radiator.
Old 08-24-09, 07:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

go with the complete replacement - its a huge pain in the a%% to change just an end tank...
Old 08-25-09, 07:06 AM
stargazer0
Driver School Candidate

Do you recommend the Lexus Silla...Koyo...CRF...or any other radiator manufacturer? The Lexus Radiator is soooo much more than all the others. And the Koyo is super expensive also. Am I getting something extra from the expseive one that you know of.
Old 09-12-09, 09:09 PM
2700$oarer
Rookie

if you like your money, go to your local hardware store and look in the plumbing section. find a ribbed double side aluminum or metal connector that is small enough to fit into/inside you existing oem piping. thread it in carefully then jb weld it... total cost off the top of my head is about $20

Last edited by 2700$oarer; 09-12-09 at 09:10 PM. Reason: type-o
Old 03-06-12, 10:06 PM
vitieubao
10th Gear

So what did you do to fix the broken nipple? I've just broken it and don't know what I should do now.
Old 03-07-12, 06:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vitieubao
So what did you do to fix the broken nipple? I've just broken it and don't know what I should do now.
fix it the right way, buy a new radiator...

if not, you will just end up with leaks down the road... for a temporary solution, some jb weld might work... in the end, though, when you are stuck on the side of the road in traffic or the middle of nowhere because your hacked fix broke again, you will remember this thread and my recommendation to just fix it the right way the first time...
Old 04-01-12, 01:24 AM
dr gtr
Driver School Candidate

I just broke mine too. Pissed me right off. Cleaning Vacuum lines on the ls400. Leaned over and didnt realise I had my hand there. Pop! coolant started coming up. ALot of cursing. No choice but to replace radiator with cheaper aftermarket one. The one I broke was original which was quite brittle. So excuse to replace.

Worse spot to place the nipple. I can vouch for many people breaking it. I say put a big read sticker there so people dont lean over the spot with their hands.