Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

alignment where to go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 10:00 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question alignment where to go?

Well it looks like I need to at least get a front driver’s side aligned. I looked at the line on the alignment "thingee" (for lack of a better term) It seems to be off just a bit, and the inside of the tire is slightly more worn than the outside. So besides taking it to the dealer, where they will most likely rape me, and what other places can do an alignment on a Lexus. What is the typical charge? Thanks.
Old 04-07-02, 11:03 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is speaking from experience: I had an alignment done a couple months before my new wheels, and it was done a tire shop that had a 4 wheel rack Hunter machine. The alignment was about ~$75

I'd call your dealership first and ask the service manager if they have a Hunter machine; one dealer I used actually had one. I'd be more willing to take it to a Lexus dealership since, hopefully, they are less apt to screw anything up being accustomed to working on Lexi.

Otherwise, start calling alignment shops.

Any that are willing to make the captial investment, should more than likely have the qualified staff to operate it. If you'd like to go even further, ask about some of the higher end cars they've aligned, and see what kind of answers you get. Don't tell them what kind of car you have before you get an answer....you may get 'oh sure! we can do a Lexus; we do those all the time; bring it one down....'

If you're going to go through the trouble of making the trip, might as well get a 4 wheel while you're at it. Be sure to get a printout too tat shows you before & after alignment specs - really cool.

I'd rather spend a few bucks more at the dealership, than assume a higher risk of possible rim damage at JimBob's Tire Shop and having to deal with that PITA; I can't remember if you have wheels or not...

GL
Old 04-07-02, 01:59 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check into which 4-wheel alignment machines are the best and find a place that has it. I guess Hunter's supposed to be one of the best? How about Laserline?

If you'd like to go even further, ask about some of the higher end cars they've aligned, and see what kind of answers you get. Don't tell them what kind of car you have before you get an answer....you may get 'oh sure! we can do a Lexus; we do those all the time; bring it one down....'
I suspect they'd just rattle off Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, etc.
Old 04-07-02, 02:12 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by kreativ
I'd check into which 4-wheel alignment machines are the best and find a place that has it. I guess Hunter's supposed to be one of the best? How about Laserline?
That's what I've heard k, been told, and researched. Hunter also seems to be at most ofthe higher end dealerships I've been to.

Don't know anything about Laserline.

Originally posted by kreativ
I suspect they'd just rattle off Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, etc.
What I meant was, I'd want to take my car to somewhere that is more accustomed to aligning cars of which their owners care about performance.