Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Restore Products?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 08:12 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Restore Products?

I have never believed in oil additives, but I'm curious about Restore. In the next few months I'm going to replace my HG, rings and valve seals, but until then I would like to get some compression back and I was told by a few people that Restore works really well.

I know these are not magic and will not fix big issues, having 180,000 miles on my engine with all original internals I'm just looking to see if there is a way to help with getting more life out the car before I rebuild it?

Now the thing is I'm not burning oil (losing a bit due to a leaking FMS, but that is getting fixed soon), no smoke from exhaust while driving only when idling on cool days and at first start up.

The small issues I'm having is somewhat poor gas mileage, rather loud engine when starting and somewhat sluggish performance. So I'm just curious how many people have used this product and what are your views on it?

Please dont turn this into a pissing match thread like I have found on other forums lol. All I'm looking for is personal and professional views and why. While researching this it is amazing how many people get flamed for their opinions and experiences on some of the other forums.........its sad to say the least.

If anyone is wondering what I'm talking about here is the product RestoreUsa.com. And I dont believe any testimonials on a manufactures website.
Old 07-02-09, 09:52 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I would probably not even bother with that. Just go for the full repair. Wouldn't you have to clean all of that out once you take the engine apart?
Old 07-02-09, 09:54 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I would probably not even bother with that. Just go for the full repair. Wouldn't you have to clean all of that out once you take the engine apart?
Yeah I'm pretty sure I would have to clean it out. Right now I'm getting all the parts together for the rebuild and I'm not going to have time to tear it down until the end of august at the earliest. Thats why I started looking into this product
Old 07-12-09, 10:20 PM
RANDY P
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't want to mess with Restore if you intend on re-ringing the engine. It may mess with ring seating, I don't know this as a fact but still, why risk it? I wouldn't want any weird stuff in the engine if I was going to do what you plan to.

The sluggishness could be carbon buildup, lame knock sensor, needing fresh tune up, all kinds of things - none of which mandate dropping the head.

Heck, even before you even re-ring and all that hassle of HG replacement you should do a full on compression and leakdown test and check your oil pressure. If you aren't using oil and not smoking hugely out of the top of the engine (mad amounts of blow-by) there isn't much evidence saying major work like that is required. If you're gonna go so far to re-ring, might as well do the whole damn engine end to end. Waste of time to do it any other way.

If the basic engine internals are sound you may be best served not messing with it, - you could wind up causing oil usage and bad compression if the rings don't seat. Start looking at other things. Loud engine while starting could just be some piston slap. Reringing isn't gonna help that- it's a piston to cylinder clearence thig, not that it's anything to worry about, it just happens.

Last edited by RANDY P; 07-12-09 at 10:34 PM.