Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need a new battery...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-02, 10:49 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new battery...

Original battery gone at 57,788 Miles, 1:30 a.m.

58785 Miles:
Opened garaged. Went to start car after a couple weeks. Battery dead.

I pulled my other car up and left the cables on for a while. I tried starting it once, but it didn't work. Tried again after a bit longer and it started.

I then took the car out and let it sit, running, for 20 minutes or more. After that, I drove her around the block.

58788 Miles:
Pulled in the garage, turned off car. I set the alarm and noticed the dome light seemed dim again. Opened car and tried to start it again. Dead battery. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I don't drive the car anymore.

What's my point? I'm not near a Lexus dealer and I'm looking for a quality battery at a reasonable price. An Optima would be overkill, especially since I'm selling it, but I don't really want a Wal-Mart battery. I would appreciate it if you could suggest some good batteries bought locally, or some that I could order online.

Geez, I can't make a short post.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. Hi Old-Timers!
Old 03-09-02, 08:19 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Well..

Stored, hmmmm.

First remove the battery terminals and clean the battery posts thoroughly with a steel brush or sandpaper, re-install and tighten the battery connections. Poor battery connections seem to work reasonably well except in high current drain, starting, situations.

I don't drive my 911 in the wintertime, so every spring...

But the description you gave doesn't leave out the possibility that the charging system isn't working.

You might want to jumper start the car again and then turn electrical loads on, one at a time, sequentially, until the engine dies (maybe, in most cars the engine at idle cannot sustain a FULL electrical load).

If the car doesn't die with a reasonably heavy electrical load then it is likely the charging system is okay.

There are lots of "cheap" battery sources if all else fails.
Old 03-11-02, 10:02 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need a new battery...

Originally posted by Brian S
P.S. Hi Old-Timers!
I'm not really and old timer, but Hey Brian!

Where have you been? How the Borlas treatin you?
Old 03-11-02, 11:44 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Need a new battery...

Originally posted by Dexter
Where have you been? How the Borlas treatin you?
Hi Dexter! I'm too poor to own my car and too busy to chat on here. Times change I guess.

P.S. The only time I hear my Borlas these days is when I start her up in the garage every few weeks. They sound good though.

P.P.S. The Lexus is up on eBay (again). Check it out at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ndexURL=0&rd=1
Old 03-12-02, 05:43 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Need a new battery...

Originally posted by Brian S

Hi Dexter! I'm too poor to own my car and too busy to chat on here. Times change I guess.

P.S. The only time I hear my Borlas these days is when I start her up in the garage every few weeks. They sound good though.

P.P.S. The Lexus is up on eBay (again). Check it out at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ndexURL=0&rd=1
man it's been awhile...Hope things are going well with school. I guess the internet business went south with most of the dot coms too . Mine died at 55k I stopped spending $$$ on the GS too. I would actually suggest a wal-mart battery...install it right before you sell it. or a sears battery. they will run you about $40-50. Good luck.
Old 03-12-02, 04:40 PM
GCM
Driver School Candidate

I've heard that Wal-Mart gets most of their batteries from Johnson Controls......Johnson Controls is a very reputable battery manufacturer, also making Sears Die-Hard, Interstate, Optima, and others.
Old 03-12-02, 04:46 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Need a new battery...

Originally posted by Gs400TRD

man it's been awhile...Hope things are going well with school. I guess the internet business went south with most of the dot coms too . Mine died at 55k I stopped spending $$$ on the GS too. I would actually suggest a wal-mart battery...install it right before you sell it. or a sears battery. they will run you about $40-50. Good luck.
Well, sorta. My poorness was for the most part self-inflicted. I decided selling access to nudie celeb pics wasn't how I wanted to make my living anymore. So I quit. One of the hardest decisions of my life.

As far as my business, it could go either way. My newest and likely to be last project is a free hosting venture I opened on New Years. The site, http://www.************ is doing relatively well. And I'm implementing a new bandwidth metering system that will hopefully generate more revenue. I'm fairly optimistic about its success. Maybe not big money, but I may have *some* money again.

As far as the battery, my friend's dad owns an Interstate distributorship, so I may pick one of those up from him. (I'd feel bad if I didn't.) FWIW, I seemed to have nursed to battery back to some sort of running state. Though, I do think its on its last legs. I put water in the battery...then discovered it was a maintenance free battery. Whoops!

Brian
Old 03-14-02, 05:40 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Had a Champion battery installed recently at Sam's Club- Warehouse version of Wal-Mart. The battery has a 3 yr replacement warranty as well as 3 yr jump start warranty. It is good enough for me. If you store your car seasonally or run high power electronic components such, as stereo equipment. Then, look into a Yellow Top Optima battery. BTW, the Champion battery says, Exide which I think is also owned by Johnson Controls and Optima.