Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 11:28 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default check engine light

My check engine light was on and then went away after several restarts. Do I need to have it checked out or did the car fix itself? I heard it will remain in the memory?
Old 12-30-08, 11:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

First we need to make sure the light works and has not burned out. This can be easily accomplished by turning the key to the on position and seeing if it lights up at this time.

Assuming it works properly and it has not turned itself off, we have a possible issue with a sensor or something that might have been out of range for a while, but is now within operating parameters again...

Most common cause of this is that the gas cap was left loose and is now tight again... There are other potential causes, but I probably wouldn't worry with it so long as the car is running good and the light has remained off.
Old 12-30-08, 11:55 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

First we need to make sure the light works and has not burned out. This can be easily accomplished by turning the key to the on position and seeing if it lights up at this time.

Assuming it works properly and it has not turned itself off, we have a possible issue with a sensor or something that might have been out of range for a while, but is now within operating parameters again...

Most common cause of this is that the gas cap was left loose and is now tight again... There are other potential causes, but I probably wouldn't worry with it so long as the car is running good and the light has remained off.
Old 12-30-08, 11:56 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Yes, light turns on when key is turned. What is the cheapest place to get the memory code checked? How long does it stay in memory?
Old 12-30-08, 12:01 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Autozone will pull codes for free. I've never known history codes to go away, but that doesn't mean they don't...
Old 12-30-08, 05:53 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Dam light is on again, time for autozone I suppose...
Old 12-30-08, 08:42 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw a bulletin at my local AUTOZONE store here in California yesterday, and it said that AUTOZONE would no longer scan vehicles for free. They will not loan their scanner to allow customers to check their own cars. I was shocked and a little upset.

Apparently, some mechanics in the state filed suit that alleges that it is unfair competition, and it takes money out of their pockets. The California legislature agreed, so now it is illegal for AUTOZONE to loan scanners. What's next, no special tools loaned either because mechanics want to do all that work too?

I wonder if that AUTOZONE memo applies only to California, or is it effective company-wide? HMMM, I WONDER?????
Old 12-30-08, 09:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by gserep1
I just saw a bulletin at my local AUTOZONE store here in California yesterday, and it said that AUTOZONE would no longer scan vehicles for free. They will not loan their scanner to allow customers to check their own cars. I was shocked and a little upset.

Apparently, some mechanics in the state filed suit that alleges that it is unfair competition, and it takes money out of their pockets. The California legislature agreed, so now it is illegal for AUTOZONE to loan scanners. What's next, no special tools loaned either because mechanics want to do all that work too?

I wonder if that AUTOZONE memo applies only to California, or is it effective company-wide? HMMM, I WONDER?????
That's very interesting... Doesn't bother me that people get their cars scanned at autozone... In fact, I like dealing with the customers that have replaced part after part thinking that their little printout from autozone tells them exactly what to replace... after doing diag, it's almost always something simple that could have been repaired for 1/4 what they spent throwing parts at it...

I don't see how it could ever be illegal to loan a scantool... hell, you can buy them for less than $50 if all you need is the codes pulled...

And it turns out their sign is misleading, I found this:

"As corp policy for a very long time, Autozone has not officially loaned the scan tool for free in CA. Some franchise holders still offered it or offered to 'rent' the tool, etc., but they still kept getting into trouble.

There is not Autozone law. When I looked into this a couple years ago the basic issue is that their counter monkeys were doing two things. 'Diagnosing' the car and pushing often un-necessary parts based on their faulty 'diagnosis'. Oddly enough, some customers didn't like that and complained.

In CA, as in most other states, auto repair is a licensed profession. Just like medicine and cosmetology. You can't sell your services as an auto tech without a license and the training that goes with it, and that's what they were doing.

They would have no trouble if all they did was pull the code and tell you what it was and suggest that you see a mechanic or use other things like shop manuals at a library or the internet to further diagnose the problem. Gets a little fuzzy if they erase the code (but that's solved if *you* use the tool and not the counter monkey which wasn't the usual pattern).

-Rich"
Old 01-01-09, 12:11 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Autozone in NJ does it for free, will be going there by tomorrow
Old 01-01-09, 05:18 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

went today, and they will not check it unless my check engine light is on

As luck would have it, my check engine light went off today