Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Bad Es300 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 03:03 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Es300 engine

Hi I just got a 1998 Es300 as a gift from the company I work for.
Now the big problem is that this car has been a company car almost all of it's life and it has never gotten an oil change in years and because of the way we work this car has been driven for less then 1 mile everytime it has been used so it never got a drive more then 5 miles exept every 2 weeks.
The car has 64k miles on it but it runs very bad it has a rough idle I'm planning to change the sparkplug to see if it helps but I wonder 1 thing.
Is the engine of this car still salvagable?
Or should I get another engine for this car?
Because I'm planning to fix it for my girlfriend but if I'm correct these cars have the Camryv6 engine and not the strong engines found in most Lexus cars.
And I repeat it has NEVER gotten an oilchange so will an oilchange now salvage this engine or dou recommend getting a new or slightly used engine.
because I don't want to spend money on a car only to have to send it to a junkjard later.
This car is a total mess and they know that so that;\'s why they gave it away for free.
And where is the antenna located?
Because reception in this car is ver bad worse then my SC400 and I can't find the antenna.
It doesn't even have a hole for the antenna.
Does this car even have an antenna?
Old 04-03-08, 04:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

its definitely not going to hurt to spend a couple bucks and try to fix it...

obviously change the oil, spark plugs, and run it... like really drive it... see what happens... good chance you've got some serious carbon deposits, and there is a chance some of that will burn itself up once you really get it hot and drive it...

then, is the check engine light on? does it run any better at all after actually running it a little?

all toyotas and lexus' share engine designs to some extent... the camry V6 is a pretty decent little motor...
Old 04-04-08, 03:09 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Yes I have been driving it it is drivable but the engine doesn't idle very well and sometimes it even stalls but when I start it up again it does start.
And it's a miracle but the check engine light is not on but I'm suspecting it staid on for a long time before till it burned because I remember once when I drove this car for work itwas on but now it's not anymore.
So I can't get any codes because it won't flash but I wonder how I can check for engine wear.
Just look at the oil to see if it's burned?
And by the way is Dura Lube Prolong and all that stuff still on the market?
Because as I can remember these engine treatments were a cure for bad engines back in the day but I don't see them anymore.
Old 04-04-08, 03:14 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

you don't see them because they never really did anything, and couldn't back up the claims when sued...

just change the oil a couple times over the next 1000 miles, take it to autozone and have them pull the codes for you, or at least see if there are any... good chance you might just have a vacuum line deteriorated, or something else real simple...

Originally Posted by cdvmagic
Yes I have been driving it it is drivable but the engine doesn't idle very well and sometimes it even stalls but when I start it up again it does start.
And it's a miracle but the check engine light is not on but I'm suspecting it staid on for a long time before till it burned because I remember once when I drove this car for work itwas on but now it's not anymore.
So I can't get any codes because it won't flash but I wonder how I can check for engine wear.
Just look at the oil to see if it's burned?
And by the way is Dura Lube Prolong and all that stuff still on the market?
Because as I can remember these engine treatments were a cure for bad engines back in the day but I don't see them anymore.
Old 04-05-08, 02:59 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Thanks but I mean how can you say that those engine treatments didn't do anything.
I remember my mom put that in her car and the difference was like night and day her car really started to feel like new again.
It's to bad they're not around anymore because it works wonders.
I remember my mom's car drove like new but not only that it used a lot less gas and I remember once that she had a leak and lost all of her oil her engine should have stalled but the engine treatment saved the engine because it get stuck on the parts of the engine and not stay in the oil pan so when you lose all of your oil you'll still get lubrication so you won't lose your engine.
To bad the're gone now!!!!
Old 04-05-08, 09:12 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

first of all, go turn the car on, see if the check engine light comes on when you turn the key to "on" from "off"...if it does, guess what?? the light isnt burnt out!!
Old 04-06-08, 06:00 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Good point about the light, I work on these every day, and though I know it, I never seem to think about it...

As far as dura lube and some of those other engine additives, well, it might have seemed like it did something, but the independent studies said they didn't...
Old 04-06-08, 05:24 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

change the oil, do a complete tuneup, and relax.
Old 04-06-08, 07:43 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Forgive me for I know not the complete library of all lexus makes/models/years/versions/revisions -- But IIRC the ES300 is the bottom of the line Lexus. I personally do not like them, think they are ugly, and don't belong in the Lexus family, but are more like an older Toyota badged as Lexus. (Yes I know they are one and the same).

No offense to ES300 owners,.. just personal preference, there are many 'high end' cars I don't like.

But I doubt that engine is going to blow up on you like someone else thought likely. I think it has been damaged from not having the oil changed, but not to the point where it is going to blow up on you if you get on it. Do the basic tune up, and see where you stand. If it still idles rough, have a mechanic check it out if you can't figure out the problem. Something simple is very often the cause of idle troubles, not an engine on its way out.

You mention it is like the Camry V6 -- Yes it is similar (if not the same) -- Toyota makes great engines,.. and it is plenty of power for the ES300 . Those cars aren't designed to be sporty or the top of line luxury -- They are just kind of 'meh' on their power, looks, luxury (or lack there of) and so forth. Basically what I'm saying is the engine is tough, and can take some abuse, and I wouldn't be surprised if the engine kept going for a long time yet.

As for the products -- They still exist,.. you just have to look around. At my Walmart there is at least one of those 'as advertised on TV' duralube type products. Then you have the standard cheap generic engine restorers. (which do about the same job).

I've used the products you speak of and I don't think they ever hurt your engine, but you can never subtitute mechanical repair with a liquid. There is no such thing as a liquid mechanic. I put those products close to a full synthetic oil -- They do about as much as running synthetic in the engine would do. If the synthetic oil drained out, the engine would run just as long as it would if Duralube drained out with reg. oil =)

Engines can run quite a while without oil.
Old 04-07-08, 03:36 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Yeah Neofate your right I don't like the ES 300 either the only thing I like about this car is that it's a 4 door vs my 2 dr Sc400 but I think my Sc400 it's better because it has a little more power and it has rear wheel drive.
The Es has front wheel drive but I'm fixing it for my girlfriend because she drives a 93 Mercury Sable and that stalls everytime and I'm tired of working on that car and she needs to borrow My Sc everytime.
So that's why I'm giving her the car and maybe in a year or 2 I'll sell them both and buy a Mercedes S-class!!!!
And yes when I switch the ignition from acc to on without starting it the engine light DOES come on but as soon as I start it up it turns off.
And we drove the car over the weekend and the riugh idle seemed to have went away a little not totally but the car runs a litle bit better now.
Do u think it's a dirty injection or something?
It has to be because it kind of goes away when I'm driving.
I don'y think it's gonna explote I'm just afraid to spend money on a car that will end up at a junkjard in less then a year.
Because I have to do a lot of work the carpet needs to be replaced because tere are coffee stains all over it and more work needs to be done.
The stereo also has a really bad fm reception and this car does't have an antenna so that's why I'm worried
Old 04-07-08, 03:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

you are still talking relatively simple things... just keep driving it... it'l probably only get better