Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Fuel Injection Cleaner??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-02, 09:32 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection Cleaner??

Does anyone know of a good fuel injection cleaner or is it worth it for me to let the mechanic do it. I'm under the impression he has some snake oil that he will charge me an arm and a leg for something I can do myself. Anyone??

TIA

Josh
Old 01-19-02, 06:56 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will just state my opinion, which is not based on any intelligent knowledge of all the options available for cleaning injectors. But I do know that over time, petroleum gasoline will deposit particles on the walls of any components in the fuel system path.
This material is known as shellac. It's a hard material and tends to restrict fuel flow by changing the inside diameter of the parts it is deposited on.
In the case of injectors, the diameter of the injector nozzel is critical to engine performance. Restrictions or deviations can cause a severe loss of performance.
The continued use of a fuel system additive such as an injector cleaner helps minimize these deposits by basically dissolving them and preventing them from attaching to the walls of the injectors and other fuel system components.
If fuel system components become contaminated with the hard shellac deposits then a simple fuel system cleaner and additive may not be able to remove the deposits with a single application. It may take several tanks of gas with fuel additives to completely dissolve the deposits.
Use a fuel system additive at least once a month to keep the deposits from building up.
If you have a problem with deposit buildup you may need a mechanic to remove the injectors and clean them with a more powerful solvent.
Old 01-19-02, 07:50 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a question that I have wanted to pose too.

I have used various fuel system cleaners without any apparent improvement. Does anyone out there have any recommendations for brand?

I have also heard that the brand of fuel plays a role and that most of the premium brands contain fuel system cleners that make adding more pointless.

Any comments?
Old 01-19-02, 02:01 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Almost all gasolines these days have detergenets/additives in them. Chevron with Techron is probably the most popular. Filling up with Chevron Supreme over some time should help clean those fuel injectors.
Old 01-19-02, 02:48 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Techron

Guyz - From my contacts within the oil business, Techron is still considered the "gold standard" of gasoline detergents. I know it's also offered in a bottle ( found in Wal Mart, Pep Boyz, etc ) as well as in the Chevron gasolines ( in various percentages in the different grades ). Obviously the highest content is within the premium grade but even the regular has some. FWIW - I add a bottle of the Techron at every oil/filter change - approximately every 5k miles. Maybe it's overkill but I've never had an injector problem in 20 years of owning fuel injected cars. Just something to think about.
Old 01-19-02, 05:38 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

What do you think of "The Outlaw" fuel injector cleaner by Pennzoil. i have been using that and it seems the same, MG, what is your take on this product?
Old 01-19-02, 09:20 PM
kreativ
Advanced

How do you tell if you have a fuel injector problem anyways?

I've been using Shell in my LS since '91 and haven't noticed any issues, but don't know what to look for.
Old 01-19-02, 09:41 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Thank you everyone for your responses/opinions. Maybe I should have been more clear. I've already been told that my injectors need "exfoliated". My question should have been; does anyone know the best DIY injector cleaner??
Old 01-19-02, 09:45 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

I would personally get the injectors cleaned by the shop, It is only like $60.00 and they will flush those little guys out for you!!
Old 01-20-02, 03:57 AM
additude
Intermediate

Originally posted by zushwa
Thank you everyone for your responses/opinions. Maybe I should have been more clear. I've already been told that my injectors need "exfoliated". My question should have been; does anyone know the best DIY injector cleaner??
Injector cleaners are, for the most part, "Preventative Maintenance".

I would recommend taking your vehicle to the shop and having your injectors cleaned. Then start using a injector cleaner gas additive. Any additive with Techron in it would be your best product.
Old 01-20-02, 06:52 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Good Advice

Add has the right idea. Just have a shop professionally clean your injectors & then use some cleaner with Techron at every oil change. If U don't mind the downtime, U could send your injectors in to have them cleaned & blueprinted ( to make sure that they all flow equally ) then implement the maintenance schedule.
Old 01-20-02, 07:51 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

MG,

Who would you send your injectors to have them blueprinted, will the service dept. do that?
Old 01-20-02, 08:50 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Thanks again for the help. When I got my car (used, obviously) the mechanic said I probably needed the injectors cleaned and gave me the same advise you have (additive, ~once a month) which I've been doing. However, when I took it in for an oil change he (same mechanic) said I should have them do it. I just wanted to make sure he isn't trying to milk some money out of me for something I can do myself. I guess that doesn't sound very logical coming from someone that pays another person to change my oil when I'm fulling capable of doing it.
Old 01-20-02, 09:30 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Zushwa,

I am more than capable of changing my own oil, but it is not worth the hassle of jacking the car up and getting under the car on these cold days and getting all dirty, i just pay $15.00 and have it done.
Old 01-20-02, 01:28 PM
additude
Intermediate

Originally posted by zushwa
Thanks again for the help. When I got my car (used, obviously) the mechanic said I probably needed the injectors cleaned and gave me the same advise you have (additive, ~once a month) which I've been doing. However, when I took it in for an oil change he (same mechanic) said I should have them do it. I just wanted to make sure he isn't trying to milk some money out of me for something I can do myself. I guess that doesn't sound very logical coming from someone that pays another person to change my oil when I'm fulling capable of doing it.
Hehehehehehe. That gave me a chuckle

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection Cleaner??