Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Fuel Injection Cleaner??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-02, 02:58 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's their basis for your LS needing a fuel injection cleaning? (except for "probably" because it's an older car)
Old 01-20-02, 03:26 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep us up to date on your status bud
Old 01-20-02, 10:00 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

As a good ex BMW owner I got used a long time ago to additives. BMW started various campaigns in the mid eighties to clean the injectors and clean carbon out of the heads. They would pay for it once, then it was up to you, they said that the gasoline was just very prone to deposits in both injectors and combustion chambers. They had a BMW gas additive that they recommended every tank after the decarboning was done. Unfortunately, you really could tell the difference in the engine performance, especially smoothness at idle. Techron is supposed to be good but I found that Red Line, the people who do synthetic lubricants, had an injection cleaner that I believe is called S-1, and was every bit as good as the BMW additive in keeping the engine smooth and was more cost effective. You put a whole bottle in to clean the injectors up and then only add the correct amount for each tank of gas, the bottles are marked in 10 gallon increments. Then every several thousand miles or so, you dump a whole bottle in again. I have gotten addicted. I have used it in every car I have owned since the bimmers got me started, until then I thought the gas additives were just a bunch of hoo hah. Nice thing is that Red Line S-1 is getting more available, including Pep Boys up here (probably not in GS4will's Pep Boys but I can't explain it). If your vehicle is really loaded up, I would recommend having a more complete process done. If the mechanic is going to charge to pour a can of something in your tank, skip it, but there are processes now where I believe they hook up to the injector fuel rail and pump a fairly agressive cleaner in which does a very good job. Then I guess I would recommend something like the S-1 on a constant basis. If you go for it, double check that it is called S-1, I think that is right and I will double check but I am in a conference this week so I can't promise when I can post a reply.
Old 01-23-02, 09:03 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Have you guys tried a product called "44K" by BG? I see it on certain sites that sell it and it seems to be a very strong all in one fuel system cleaner that you add to your tank and refill and it cleans out all the carbon off the combustion chamber and cleans out your injectors with one application, it is professional stuff and a 11 .oz can goes for $20.00 plus shippping, I saw one on Ebay for $8.50 and I should have done the buy it now, someone else beat me to it Try it out guys I read alot of good stuff about it and ordered one.

http://www.ec-securehost.com/RynoPe...d_Products.html

Thanks

Erfan
Old 01-24-02, 09:53 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Erfan
Have you guys tried a product called "44K" by BG?
This is what Lexus, at least my local dealer, used at my 45k service.

See my post here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...715#post184715

HTH
Old 01-24-02, 11:19 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Once a month I run one bottle of Chevron Techron in my 1993 SC400. Keeps her tickin' like a clock. It's what I use. It is available at PepBoys. The pure Techron is what you want, aprox $6 per black bottle. It is not the gas treatment with a little bit of Techron in it which is about $2.79 per bottle.
Old 01-27-02, 05:56 PM
mervlink
Rookie

Default Fuel Injector cleaner

Try using the 3M Fuel injector cleaner it is the concentrated one that is used by the dealers...you can get it from any Speed shop or professional car parts shop
Old 01-28-02, 03:10 AM
additude
Intermediate

Originally posted by Erfan
... it is professional stuff and a 11 .oz can goes for $20.00 plus shippping, I saw one on Ebay for $8.50 and I should have done the buy it now, someone else beat me to it Try it out guys I read alot of good stuff about it and ordered one.

It's on eBay now for $10 plus $3.95 shipping.

Here is the sellers list of auctions.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-c...&userid=rldunc
Old 01-28-02, 03:32 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Fuel Injector cleaner

Originally posted by mervlink
Try using the 3M Fuel injector cleaner it is the concentrated one that is used by the dealers...
Just FYI, different dealers use diferent products. Check my post about Krex additives in that named thread.