Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

What's the deal with the Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 02:53 PM
sahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you talk to most independent mechanics, they'll say it's up to you but you should, especially if your car isn't driven the average number of miles a year and time may become a factor.

Let's look at it from Lexus's view.. extra 100 bucks to change the pump doesn't give them much money. You are happy because you saved money and will tell all your friends how awesome lexus waterpumps are and how they last so long.

If it does leak.. they get another grand to do the work over again and say it was bad luck it went out. Change the pump. Even if there was only a 20% chance it would go out before the next 90k maint. [which I HIGHLY doubt the odds are even better than 50%], it's worth it as the costs are so huge in comparison to the extra 100 bucks of just doing it then. It also gives you a chance to clean out the area.

This is coming from someone who bought a car with 132k miles and 15 years of wear and tear on a stock TB and stock WP with no issues. The only reason I even knew to do the maint. was that the cam and crank seals were leaking badly. The water pump also looked pretty good for the record.

The water pump looking good does NOT mean the seals between the pump and block won't leak. People seem to not realize this as they haven't gone in there deep themselves to see how it all fits together.
Old 05-11-06, 04:05 PM
socwrkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt
If you talk to most independent mechanics, they'll say it's up to you but you should, especially if your car isn't driven the average number of miles a year and time may become a factor.

Let's look at it from Lexus's view.. extra 100 bucks to change the pump doesn't give them much money. You are happy because you saved money and will tell all your friends how awesome lexus waterpumps are and how they last so long.

If it does leak.. they get another grand to do the work over again and say it was bad luck it went out. Change the pump. Even if there was only a 20% chance it would go out before the next 90k maint. [which I HIGHLY doubt the odds are even better than 50%], it's worth it as the costs are so huge in comparison to the extra 100 bucks of just doing it then. It also gives you a chance to clean out the area.

This is coming from someone who bought a car with 132k miles and 15 years of wear and tear on a stock TB and stock WP with no issues. The only reason I even knew to do the maint. was that the cam and crank seals were leaking badly. The water pump also looked pretty good for the record.

The water pump looking good does NOT mean the seals between the pump and block won't leak. People seem to not realize this as they haven't gone in there deep themselves to see how it all fits together.
I actually thought it was an extra $300 or so, but could be wrong. I'll have it done either way at 90k (pretty soon actually).
Old 12-28-06, 11:47 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, the 98 and newer 1UZFE engines ARE interference engines. If the engine runsout of time, it WILL bend valves without a doubt.

Lexus recommends the use of their RED coolant in their engines. This coolant goes along way towards keeping the seals lubricated for a long time. It IS possible that this pump could last the life of the car with this stuff, but I know personally 3 people with GS400's that DO NOT use the Toyota stuff, as they feel it is unnecessary. One of my friends even uses the GREEN ethylene glycol...what a glutton for punishment. THAT is one car I would never own.

I currently also own a 2003 Hyundal Elantra, and when I did the timing belt at 72,00 miles I elected not to change the water pump because it ison the outside of the engine and easy to get to. Plus it is turned by a separate drive belt, so I feel pretty safe even if it goes out. Not a bad job to change, and I do the work myself. I guess we all have reasons as to why we do what we do.

IN MY HEART I feel the Lexus pump can last longer that 90,000 miles, but I don't know HOW much longer.

Some folks say that the "weep hole" on the pump is directed away from the belt. I don't know about that for sure. I did not think to check that when I installed my timing belts. I'll do it next time. If someone knows for sure, I would be interested in sharing stories with you. I am still concerned with a possible seized bearing.

Last edited by gserep1; 12-28-06 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-29-06, 09:41 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts
Default pre-emptive maintenance

I use a term pre-emptive maintenance for replacing

Water-pump
Idler's

Guess what determines, which thing to replace after certain use [for cars typically it is milage/months which can be substituted for time]. Mean time to failure/break-down.

I searched hard to get this number for RX-300 water pump and found nothing.

So at the end, it is the owner who makes the call (or assume the risk) for replacing the water-pump or not. [I am at 115k with orignal waterpump on RX]

Salim