Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

costco gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 01:22 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default costco gas

gas in my area is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've noticed that Costco gas is about 10cents cheaper than everywhere else but I've never used it before. Has anybody had any experience using Costco Gas before? How does it compare to 76 or Chevron?
Old 04-11-06, 01:45 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Costco gas is just like Sams gas, its just as good as everywhere else, only cheaper ....hope that helps. I usually fill up at Sams, but now everywhere gas prices have been jacked up for no reason its rediculous. almost 3.00 a gallon here again.....(premo of course)
Old 04-11-06, 01:58 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

I'm just asking because I've used quite a few different gases and I've noticed offbrands such as World, etc... to give me lower mileage and kind of rough driving/idling.

Arco gives me lower mpg

the best that I've used is 76 which runs smooth and also gives me the best mpg
Chevron gives me equally good smoothness as the 76 but a little lower mpg

There's no Sam's in my area so I wouldn't be able to judge. And I don't have a Costco card yet so I can't go test it yet. I was planning to get one and if Costco gas is pretty good, this will motivate me to get it faster! haha.
Old 04-11-06, 03:19 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed the roughness also. My understanding is that Costco, Sam's and other discount gas brands are pretty much regular gas but without the detergents and special additives the big names (exxon, mobil, chevron, etc) put in theirs. I've had to pour in some fuel injector cleaner evry now and then which negates the cost savings I otherwise got. I've gone back to Sunoco and Shell mostly and only use Costco gas every now and then.
Old 04-11-06, 07:02 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

i've been using costco since last june and haven't noticed a difference or had any problems. i go there regularly to fill up.

the prices inside costco are great as well, so you may as well go ahead and get that costco card.
Old 04-11-06, 10:41 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I notice my MPG goes down on Costco/Arco/Rotten Robbie gas, unless I add a shot of Red Line SI-1 when I fill up. I get good MPG on Shell or Chevron.
Old 04-12-06, 12:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I can understand wanting to save $$$.

Being in Mexico, I have no choice with the national monopoly down here and the gas is really bad even the premium.

Once a month, I use the Techron in concentrate format and my RX300 feels much better afterwards.
Old 04-12-06, 12:58 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sign up for the executive membership and you get money back at the end of the year. I signed up when i bought a 50" tv - might as well get ome funds back from the gas too,
Old 04-12-06, 05:21 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I've noticed the roughness also. My understanding is that Costco, Sam's and other discount gas brands are pretty much regular gas but without the detergents and special additives the big names (exxon, mobil, chevron, etc) put in theirs. I've had to pour in some fuel injector cleaner evry now and then which negates the cost savings I otherwise got. I've gone back to Sunoco and Shell mostly and only use Costco gas every now and then.
That is what I have heard as well. I usually stick with Mobil or Shell. By the time I pay for the fuel injector cleaner it is not worth it.
Old 04-12-06, 12:40 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I too use Costco gasoline (and other discount brands) regularly with absolutely no issues. I also don't use any additives. I trust the Costco gasoline because Costco, as a company, shies away from marketing gimmicks (except maybe with their executive membership, of which I have one!) Note that they don't even sell a mid-grade gasoline--a grade driven by marketing, not need.
Old 04-12-06, 12:59 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Costco sells gas..... Hmmm how much cheaper can it be....... to me, aint no gas like good gas...and shti i got some gas right
Old 04-12-06, 02:23 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

Where I am, its about 10-12 cents cheaper per gallon.. Premium is hovering around 3.09 around here
Old 04-13-06, 12:55 PM
BLKGS4
Driver School Candidate

Wanna to talk about gasoline proce gouging.
Chicago is paying more than $3.19 for Shell premium gas.
Old 04-22-06, 09:47 PM
kpuri
Rookie

I use Shell and Chevron
Both are top Tier Gas

When I used Costco Prem 91 I got 18-18.5 mpg
Using Shell or Chevron 91 I get 20.5-21.5 mpg

The difference in price is more then made up in the mpg, the extra booster packs go a long way.
Here in Douglas County CO the Difference between Costco and my local Shell is usually less then 5 cents a gallon so its a no brainer I stick with Shell.

Use your Citibank credit card at most stand alone gas stations and I get another 5% off (15 cents at $3/Gallon)
Old 04-22-06, 10:59 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
In California, and probably the other states too, all gas is required to have certain amounts of detergent to keep the internals somewhat clean. The difference between Costco (and other discount gas brands) is how much additional detergent is added. The name brands add more. This is one of the reasons name brand gas is a little more expensive.

From my experience, I only use Chevron. I used Arco a couple of times and noticed my MPG was lower and the engine wasn't as smooth. I have been using Chevron ever since. My wife always uses Costco gas in her Accord, but when I fill it up with name brand gas I notice it runs a little better and the MPG increases.