Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Smell of Type 4 ATF vs Dexron - Long

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 04:22 PM
suloh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell of Type 4 ATF vs Dexron - Long

I chickened out and did a drain and refill on my LS vs a flush. I noticed that the Toyota Type 4 ATF smells somewhat different from regular Dexron. Do you guys think that Type 4 smell different?

Funny thing is that the old fluid does smell of dexron. Now I am wondering if somehow some Dexron was added into the tranny.
In my previous post, I noted that my tranny has 200k on it and the last fluid change was 100k ago by a dealer !!! And there was a shudder at 38 to 40 mph.

When I drained the pan, the fluid was really dark. After the fluid change, I did a quick drive to check the fluid level.

I think the shudder that I got at 38 to 40 mph when going up a slight incline or gently acceleration, when tranny shifts out of lockup (feels like running over highway rubber wake up dots/strips) is gone. But it was just a short drive so time will tell.

Incidentally, I have been looking into this shudder when coming out of lockup problem. I found that Mobil now has an approve ATF that is similar to Toyota T4 -

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_ATF_3309.asp

The product description specifically mentioned Aisin Warner trannys (that's us) and it says:

The unique formulation of Mobil ATF 3309 is designed to provide excellent lubrication of transmissions in specified Aisin-Warner slip-controlled lock-up automatic transmissions. (note the "slip-controlled lock-up" part which must be something unique to our trannys).

I suspect that those folks with shudder coming out of lock-up issues (running over rubber strips), should flush or change ATF and use Type 4 or the Mobil product. I suspect that Mobil makes the Type 4 for Toyota (after all Toyota does not manufacture ATF).

I also suspect that many dealers make the mistake and put in Dexron into these trannys. I do not blame them because some of the ES models use Dexron for the tranny. In short I am no contemplating whether to do a flush or at least another drain and refill in a few hundred miles. In fact Toyota did come out with a bulletin telling dealers to use Type 4 Not Dexron.