Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2001 GS300 Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 09:09 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 GS300 Battery Replacement

Hey folks

I went to Costco to pick up a battery, and saw that they only have one for a group size 25, 550cca. I think the OEM group size is supposed to be 24, 585cca. I think this means that it won't fit too great, correct? Should I be concerned with the power rating too, I thought higher was always better than lower...

Does anyone have the part # for the battery so I can call a local Toyota dealer and pick one up instead. Since I have an extended warranty, I figure this may be a better route to go, then install myself. Lexus dealer quoted $100 for a replacement battery and $30 labor to change it out.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-16-05, 06:20 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might want to check with Lexus. The battery may be covered under the extended warranty. At least, reduce the price on trade in.
Old 07-19-05, 10:53 AM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Thanks... I checked wihe dealer and no dice; batteries not included. Guess I may just cough up the extra $80 to have them change it out so I don't void my extended warranty, unless one of you can convince me otherwise.
Old 07-19-05, 11:22 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Optima Red from Costco....only $99....more than enuff cca.

Pete
Old 07-19-05, 06:36 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Battery Selector
From the same web site:
Check your vehicle manual for the original equipment manufacturer's recommendations for:
• Battery group size
• Cold cranking amps (CCA)
• Reserve capacity (RC) for your vehicle
Battery group size indicates the battery size that will best fit the physical dimensions of your vehicle. Many vehicles can accommodate more than one group size.
CCA is critical for good cranking ability. It's the number of amps a battery can support for 30 seconds at a temperature of 0 degrees F until the battery voltage drops to unusable levels. A 12V battery with a rating of 600 CCA means the battery will provide 600 amps for 30 seconds at 0 degrees before the voltage falls to 7.20 V (six cells).
RC helps to power your vehicle's electrical system if the alternator fails. It indicates the battery's "staying power" -- how many minutes the battery can supply ample power without falling below the minimum voltage needed to run your vehicle.
In general for both CCA and RC, the higher the number the better. HOWEVER, if you live in a cold climate, the CCA rating should be an important consideration in choosing a battery. Conversely, if you live in a high heat climate, you don't need as much CCA.
If you're looking for a deep cycle battery for marine or RV use, you must consider:
• The type of equipment to be powered
• The current (amps) needed to run the equipment
• The number of hours you'll be using the equipment
Multiply the Amps by the Hours to determine the Amp Hours, or AH, required.
Equipment Current Draw (Amps) x Time(Hours) = AMP Hours
Lights 10 x 5 = 50
Trolling Motor 1 x 5 = 5
Fish Locator 3 x 5 = 15
Radio 1 x 5 = 5
TOTAL 75 AH
Look for a battery that will deliver the required amount of AH for the specified time and voltage. For a safety cushion, increase the number of AH by 20%. To add AH, connect batteries in parallel. To add voltage, connect batteries in a series.
Be careful of products that display only ratings such as Hot Cranking Amps (HCA) or Cranking Amps (CA)
Products that display HCA or CA ratings are tested at higher temperatures, in the case of HCA — 80 degrees — so the resulting numbers appear higher. (CAs are tested at 30°F.) Since these batteries are not as powerful as you might think, what looks like a "bargain" may end up costing you money. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at ratings. The CCA and RC are the best measure of a battery's true power.
Check for freshness
Learn to interpret battery date codes. Or ask your retailer to make sure you purchase the "freshest" battery available. A battery that has been sitting on the shelf for extended periods can lose some of its charge and may not provide the performance you need during its first use. Long term performance probably won't be compromised however, as the battery can be returned to its original levels of performance with either in-vehicle charging or by using an external charger.
Look for a hassle free warranty
• Is the warranty nationwide so you can obtain service wherever you are?
• How long is the free replacement period?
• After that time, will you be reimbursed for a portion of the battery's cost on a prorated basis?
Consider value as well as price
You might want to get professional advice from your mechanic or retailer at your local parts store before you buy.
Purchase a new battery before your existing one fails
Before you take a long trip, or when you're having your car serviced, have your battery tested. It could save you a lot of time and money down the road.
Old 07-20-05, 07:48 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Good suggestions.... think I'll head to Costco this week to exchange batteries.

Appreciate the input!
Old 07-21-05, 01:40 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gs3_4me
I went to Costco to pick up a battery, and saw that they only have one for a group size 25, 550cca. I think the OEM group size is supposed to be 24, 585cca. I think this means that it won't fit too great, correct? Should I be concerned with the power rating too, I thought higher was always better than lower...
You're in L.A., so a slightly lower CCA (which is cranking amps at 0 degrees F) is nothing to worry about.

If your OEM group size is 24F, then 35 should be the one to get at Costco. Costco batteries are good - they're made by Johnson Controls and have a lengthy 3 year free replacement warranty period, with the price being what you'd expect from Costco (much lower than the dealer, Sears, etc.).

Just be sure to pick up some battery terminal washers (i.e. oil-soaked felt pads) and/or a small packet of battery grease before you install your new battery. They both sell for ~$1 at auto parts stores, and will help resist corrosion on the terminals.
Old 03-07-24, 08:32 AM
ScatPack
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PHML
Optima Red from Costco....only $99....more than enuff cca.

Pete
same battery now is like $300…. Boy had inflation ramped up since 2005… some almost 20 years ago