Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Dextron III vs Toyota Type IV Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 05:29 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by gserep1
Yes the newer fluids usally are compatible with older types. As newer fluids come in, some of the older ones are discontinued.

I meant no disrespect to anyone, and I was fully aware of the original question that was posed. I was remarking to a comment someone made that said that we should stick with the factory fluids without question. They went further to state that companies that market synthetic products are not truthful or forthright, and the products may cause long term damage to our vehicles. THEN I RESPONDED.

Some people are happy with what comes from the factory, and that is a good thing. Some of us look for an extra edge in performance, or just a bit more protection. This has resulted in better products being developed for this type of individual. When there is nothing better than factory, I accept that and use it like everyone else. If there is a choice, I investigate and make a decision whether to use it or not. I use only factory Toyota timing belts, bearings thermostats and O rings. They fit because they are made for it, BY the people who designed the vehicle in most instances. Oils and fluids are different. Generally they are made to TOYOTA standards by someone else. Aftermarket oils and fluids generally are extensively tested to ensure they are at LEAST compatible with the factory chemicals. Once a car is out of warranty, the manufacturers' obligation is over anyway, so I am free to do what I like after that.

But when someone says in essence that I (we) are wrong for messing with factory success, I question them on it sometimes. All I have to do is look under the hood of a car of some people, and I see inferior products being used, missed scheduled maintenance, and sometimes poorly performing vehicles. Sometimes it is economics...and some just don't care that much....to them a car is JUST transportation. It really shows sometimes. Most Toyota products are good because Toyota makes excellent vehicles and their parts last a long time. But there is room for improvement at times.

To those I may have offended, let me be the first to say that I am sorry. We all have opinions, and I was expressing mine without trying to make everyone else WRONG. There is no ONE way to do anything.

I'll keep using what I think is good, and if I run into a problem, I will be the first to say so. When it comes to lubricants though, my synthetic choices have served me very well over the years, and thus have helped to form my opinions.

BY THE WAY...(JUST COULDN'T RESIST THIS)... The power steering fluid for our vehicles is DEXRON, and the transmission is TYPE T-IV. Many people never bother to change this fluid, and this has resulted in the needless replacement of rack and pinions, power steering pumps, and even ALTERNATORS, because the seals in the pumps leak and spill over into the alternators, which short them out. I have seen vehicles go in for 30, 60, and 90,000 mile services, and never have this done. When I look at the fluid, it is black and dirty in many cases. When I question some service writers, they say that it is an EXTRA cost service, or that the average customer doesn't request it. Very seldom does he say that people refuse to get it. Most people go by the factory recommendations exclusively, and if it is not mentioned there, they don't worry about it....until something fails.

Because Toyota parts are SO expensive, people are taking steps to preserve what they have, and make it last longer. I change this fluid before it looks dark and gritty. Naturally, I use synthetic oil in my rack and pinion system...even though it is not normally recommended. I have had NO power steering pump or rack and pinion failures on any of my vehicles. Even when I wasn't using synthetic fluid, I flushed the systems with regular fluid anyway. Though I can't prove it, I believe this service has helped keep out of the repair shop for rack and pinions and pumps.

You make your own conclusion.

Changing fluids is a good thing..it will save you money in the long run. My VW Beetle requires brake fluid change every 20,000 miles with DOT 4. to protect the ABS system. I do it when I do brakes on my cars because even this fluid deteriorates

Just food for thought!
Very well put & agreed gserep! I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 08-11-05, 05:44 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use toyota type iv in my 1jz auto
Old 08-11-05, 09:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

i dont know alot about fluids but i use t-iv b/c all the comments on lexus forums and i actually had to have a tranny rebuilt on my 91 alhough not due to this so i know a tranny is real expensive
Old 08-11-05, 11:52 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

i love my car a lot. and i also love my wallet a lot.. since reading this thread.. amoil sounds to be top notch.. i flushed my tranny 9months ago.. and planning on doing my one year tranny fuild change soon.. when it was flush i think they put Dexron in it.. if i am to switch to Amoil.. can i just drain , and refill it with amoil?. i know that by draining it , it won't get all the Dexron out..

so , can i mix the amoil and Dexron??
Old 08-12-05, 03:44 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
i love my car a lot. and i also love my wallet a lot.. since reading this thread.. amoil sounds to be top notch.. i flushed my tranny 9months ago.. and planning on doing my one year tranny fuild change soon.. when it was flush i think they put Dexron in it.. if i am to switch to Amoil.. can i just drain , and refill it with amoil?. i know that by draining it , it won't get all the Dexron out..

so , can i mix the amoil and Dexron??
You sure can mix the two. Here is a link for some more info:

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx
Old 08-12-05, 07:01 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Do a search, never never put anything than type4 in the tranny. Anything else will make the tranny shifts like s%$t... there is a article in PLanetesoarer.com too.
I learned it the hard way, after trying 3 different tranny fliud on my first SC, and none of them works better than toyota type 4.
Old 08-12-05, 09:54 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

i had the dextron and the shift was real good but with th t-iv it shifts so much smoother and there is a noticeable difference but im not going to be an advocate for t-iv
Old 08-13-05, 03:32 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Do a search, never never put anything than type4 in the tranny. Anything else will make the tranny shifts like s%$t... there is a article in PLanetesoarer.com too.
I learned it the hard way, after trying 3 different tranny fliud on my first SC, and none of them works better than toyota type 4.
And what specific tranny fluids did you use previously?

I've had the Amsoil in for almost a month now & to be honest the shifts are the same & perhaps just 'ever so slightly' smoother (and I had 100% T-IV before I did the drain & fill). It's hasen't messed up a thing on shift quality one bit.
Old 09-01-05, 01:02 AM
Dramon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried the redline ATF?

I've always been a fan of the MT-90 but never heard anything about their ATF.
Old 04-25-19, 06:55 PM
DimegirlTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree also. I would love to talk to a mechanic that does repairs on Toyota and Lexus and see if there is a notable difference. If you go with what is required you know if anything went wrong it is not because of that.